Can You File Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You File Online

I can not afford a lawyer and was wondering if anyone ever filed online. I have no assets, income, or property, thank you!!

check out "pro se"

Comment

what is pro se?

Comment

Hi merime:

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread out of the 'Bankruptcy and Credit News' Board, where you had placed it, into the 'Pro Se Filing' Board, where it will get more attention.

As fooked suggested, do peruse the Pro Se Board as well as the Chapter 7 Board. Many posters here have been successful at filing their own cases. I suggest purchasing the down-loadble version of Nolopress.com's book on filing Chapter 7 yourself. It is a good basic handbook, written in plain English, that will help guide you along the way. It also contains the exemption schedules for your state, as well as forms. It costs around $17.00, but other posters have found coupons.

Justbroke is a frequent poster here, and is a pro se filer. So watch for his postings.

Good luck to you.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by merime View Post
          I can not afford a lawyer and was wondering if anyone ever filed online. I have no assets, income, or property, thank you!!

What is pro se?
          Pro se is a Latin phrase that translates, roughly, to "for himself/herself". It means you are representing yourself in a court proceeding.

But why file at all? You're judgment proof. All your creditors can do is bug you by phone and by mail. Changing and unlisting your phone number will eliminate half of that. C&D letters under the FDCPA will eliminate the other half.

If you really have no income, you should qualify for legal aid who will provide you an attorney and sometimes even pay the filing fee for you.

But I would advise waiting until you really need a bankruptcy (i.e. you get a job and they threaten to garnish wages) before actually filing one.
          Last edited by MSbklawyer; 08-27-2009, 07:23 AM.
          Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Thank you!!

I so appreciate that advice. I had never had a late payment and thought well what happens when you fall behind without any income. Thank You so much!!!

Comment

what are C&D letters under FDCPA, if I may ask?

Comment

what are C&D letters under FDCPA, if I may ask?

This section authorizes C&D letters:

(c) Ceasing communication

If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except—

(1) to advise the consumer that the debt collector’s further efforts are being terminated;

(2) to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or

(3) where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.
                If such notice from the consumer is made by mail, notification shall be complete upon receipt.
                Last edited by MSbklawyer; 08-27-2009, 03:19 PM.
                Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

WOW-Thank You so much, Iam so glad I found this site!!

Comment

Sorry folks... I've been traveling and missed this thread! I see that you're in good hands with Mrs. Cat and MSBKLawyer!
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I feel like this website is the best thing that I have found. Thank You

Comment

I feel like this website is the best thing that I have found. Thank You
                        You can thank us when you get our bill. You did realize that this is not free, right?

Comment

seriously

Comment

seriously
                            MSbklawyer is being funny. There is no bill from using this non-legal resource.
                            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I thought so!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X