341 concluded...trustee caught a few people though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 concluded...trustee caught a few people though

Well I arrived at 9:00am for my 11:00am appointment so I saw lots of cases. The Trustee caught several people hiding assets and lying.

An asian couple represented by a very young asian lawyer started it off. They had no translator so the trustee phoned a translator service and they used mandarin. However I was suspicious as they had a business for 12 years in a predominantly english speaking area. So the trustee grilled them about 20 minutes, finally uncovering they had a hidden bank account they were making deposits to, then he found they had $45,000 in restaurent equipment they were leaving in a store they had shut down. The stuff was being given to the landlord but the trustee asked if landlord knew about the BK, answer was yes. Trustee asked for and recieved the key to the store right then and there. And alas, the guy suddenly started speaking perfect english. Scammer!

Next, he caught a couple that had $50,000 in shop equipment hidden in a storage locker. He got the location out of them, and phone number of the guy that owned the place. He found a $20,000 vehicle, and caught the wife in perjury. He told them he would recommend the UST deny their discharge.

Next, a couple had a business bringing in $17,000 a month, that took awhile, ...forget the outcome....was getting bored.

The trustee's favorite lines were, "put your cards on the table where I can see them, don't just show me", and my favorite, "This is NOT a discussion or debate!" Heard that last one several times.

Several with lawyers were continued. Several with good lawyers were out in 5-10 minutes. A lot of Pro Se'ers hadn't submitted their tax returns and were continued. I'd say maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of everyone got concluded right there.

I think it could be a good place for a single guy like me to meet women. I made eye contact with several and they all smiles at me as they walked out. Maybe we need a dating section on the forum, LOL. I might go back next week....(not)

Then he calls me and tells me first as I am pro se I have to fill out a form, which asks if you used a BPP, but the way it is worded, any help must be listed. I didn't use a BPP but did use a online site that I entered info in and it spitted out the paperwork. As it came out my bank account I listed it. He did a couple cases while I did my paper.

He asked a couple questions about that and said the amount charged was more than they allow and it went into a special pile. He laughed kindly at me sending in my tax returns late and in separate pages (not one continuous doc). I apologized for my lack of experience and he seemed to find it humorous. He then said case concluded. I quietly wished him a Merry Christmas (so others wouldn't hear) and he wished me one too.

So in the end, I was the quickest case he did in 3 hours (mine didn't come up till noon). I am SO happy!!! I will ensure I do the Debt Counseling next couple days! Mine was over within 3 minutes

I really could not have done it without this forum and the many people who have contributed and answered my sometimes lame questions. I am very grateful and appreciative of all help I have received.

Thank you everyone!! Thank you SO much!

Absolutely amazing! See what happens when you try to "hide" or otherwise deceive the Trustee? Getting a recommendation from the panel Trustee to the UST to deny discharge is a bigger problem than it appears on the surface. The discharge is granted with prejudice meaning the debt is never dischargeable! I don't know why people play games, including some on this Forum, by manipulating assets. Put your cards on the table, and you fare better!

Congratulations! I'm proud of you doing so well!
    Last edited by justbroke; 12-21-2009, 03:56 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You've given some of the best advice that could be given on this forum.

Be honest! If that is done, then everything will work out fine.

Thanks for your post.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Thanks JustBroke and Frogger, you are two that have helped me at several junctures and I really appreciate it!
        Last edited by OnTheRocks; 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this. It is very encouraging. I am actually starting to look forward to my 341, I think. I know I have been totally honest, on time - my trustee already has my first payment, even, and I sent the tax forms and other docs that were due 7 prior last week. certified mail, been signed for. I just have to trust that everything is going to be alright.

Comment

When I was at my 341 a lady was arguing with a creditor over a motorcycle. After 20 minutes of arguing the trustee figured out that the creditor was her ex-husband and that the motorcycle's value was $20,000! He gave her an address that she was to turn it into within 48 hours, no parts missing.

Dishonesty will really upset them.

Comment

I'm surprised that so many people are dumb enough to both lie and get caught. I had thought that a lot of bankruptcy mill lawyers perhaps just don't ask enough questions to catch anything atypical and then people sign forms that don't have the correct answers in them, but it sounds here like people are intending to mislead and then they don't actually have their story straight under questioning, or the paper trail trips them up or something?

Mind you, I've tried to disclose everything fully for mine, even materially irrelevant things, because our liabilities are so very much higher than our assets that I'm expecting some suspicion. I wonder if some people who try to get away with stuff do it partly because they think their petition otherwise looks pretty plausible.

Comment

People hide things from the BK attorneys all the time, just as people, in criminal cases, hide facts from the attorneys all the time! There is such a sense of entitlement for some people, that the don't believe the rules apply to them. They will come up with every excuse or try to justify their need to be uncooperative.

I still, to this day, don't understand why you ask a court to discharge hundreds of thousands of dollars (perhaps a million or two dollars) in as little as 90 days... yes don't want to tell them about a $20K motorcycle. Or, you want to sit around and argue about the ability of a servicer to foreclose, when you actually want to surrender the home and be done with it.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I had mine monday. I arrived hour early to watch the cases in front of me

i seen alot too trying to hide stuff and got cought
                  its crazy,

I did feel sorry for one older couple, trying to keep there boat

but part of me was thinking if I had a boat with 15,000 equity i would not be sitting here i would be out of debt.
                  but, i dont know there story so i wont judge

he asked one couple about and item that he had seen in there driveway in the past year,
                  they turned deathly white. mumlbed it was his brothers, he asked for the brothers name and phone number

some of the cases was making me nervous and i dont know even know why
                  I had to talk myself out of being so nervous and kept telling myself r, you dont have anything in hiding quit worrying
                  filed chapter 7 Nov 17, 2009
                  341 meeting Dec 21
                  dec 22 no funds no asset
                  Objections for Discharge due by 02/19/2010

Comment

hahaha I wish I had assets to hide!
                    Filed Pro Se- 12/15/2009
                    341- 2/17/2010
                    DISCHARGED- 3/18/2010

Comment

RE: 'he asked one couple about and item that he had seen in there driveway in the past year,
                      they turned deathly white. mumlbed it was his brothers, he asked for the brothers name and phone number'
                      The trustee drove by this couples house? Sounds unusual.
                      Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se 11-2009
                      341 Mtg 1-2010
                      Discharged 4-2010

Comment

Originally posted by lookinupn09 View Post
                        Trustee's are people too. Many are practicing attorneys. Perhaps they lived in the same neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by lookinupn09 View Post
                          RE: 'he asked one couple about and item that he had seen in there driveway in the past year,
                          they turned deathly white. mumlbed it was his brothers, he asked for the brothers name and phone number'
                          I bet that he looked at google earth or the property tax aerial shots to see the type of vehicle in the driveway.
                          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                            I bet that he looked at google earth or the property tax aerial shots to see the type of vehicle in the driveway.
                            That's even better!!!

Comment

I thought it was strange too,

the people were not happy about being asked about it
                              filed chapter 7 Nov 17, 2009
                              341 meeting Dec 21
                              dec 22 no funds no asset
                              Objections for Discharge due by 02/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X