Blumberg Blankrupter Review for Pro Se Filers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blumberg Blankrupter Review for Pro Se Filers

Another poster suggested that I write a review of Blumberg's Blankrupter software and how it worked for me since I used it actually file my Pro Se Chapter 7 case.

Note: This is not an endorsement of the software. I have no affiliation to Blumberg Excelsior, other than being a customer.

When I began researching filing Chapter 7 Pro Se, I came across all kinds of downloadable software, online software (fill in the blank a la TurboTax) and other options. Since it was free and I wanted to see what kind of info was needed on the forms, I downloaded Blankrupter from Blumberg Excelsior at http://www.blumberg.com/invoice.cgi?...ster_id=542919.

Now, the first thing I want to mention is that this software is technically supposed to be used by lawyers. I assume that it's probably pretty nice for attorneys who don't regularly handle bankruptcy cases because they can pay on a per case basis. Each case costs $49.95 or the company sells licenses/software keys by the 5-pack and 10-pack besides the full license.

Second, I want to say that the company advertises "online software" but that is truly not what it is. It is a download of some fairly rudimentary software. It's not pretty and it's not completely intuitive. I'll explain a little later. When you download this software, it will automatically try to install itself on your c: drive (if using a PC - I don't know if it's compatible for Mac and I have Windows XP but there are special instructions on the support site for people using Vista). Having worked as a software project manager, this is just a little bit of a strange place (I would have expected "Program Files") for a default install but it worked.

Once you open the software, it will tell you that you are working in demo mode and that you won't be able to print anything until you have paid for a license. I ignored this and set to putting in data. You have to put in your last name as a lawyer and then you create a case file for yourself (I would recommend putting in your full name).

Now, as I said, it's not pretty. It has some basic menus that kind of walk you through the input of your data. It's best viewed as this strangely minimized size and you have to be careful to scroll down on some of the windows so you don't miss putting in data. I liked that you could put in your assets and if you check a box and scroll down, you can then fill in info for your exemptions or that property. You even choose where it fits (in my case, under Federal exemptions) using any state's or Federal exemptions in a pop up box. You can also save all this info for later - very cool. The software fills in other forms with some of this info too (like your means test).

That's the good stuff. Here are the drawbacks. I bought the NOLO book and read through it to get a sense for what I was in for. However, I hadn't paid for the Blankrupter license yet so I wasn't always sure WHY it was wanting the information it was asking for and I couldn't print out the form it was referring to. Sometimes you can see it as a print preview but not always. This "lack of vision" maybe led me to ask some strange questions on this forum - lol.

Anyhow, once I paid for my license, I began printing out forms. Ordering the license was simple and secure and it's easy to register your product online. Once that was done, I could print away - and easily view the numbers I had put in. I could see that I had skipped some fields - it's not exactly like TurboTax - it doesn't guide you. You click around and fill in fields. If you miss some, it's going leave a blank spot on your form - and you don't want that.

So, I checked all my forms against what were in the NOLO book examples, corrected my mistakes, signed all my forms and took them down to the courthouse. I did check my district's website to see if I had all their required forms and I did. The clerk seemed happy with me. It mentions electronic filing in the software but as Pro Se, I'm almost positive you do have to print out the forms and walk or send them in.

Just a quick note - I encountered several weird software errors while using this product and once it crashed entirely. When I reopened the product, it said it was unlicensed and wouldn't let me print - argh! I called the support line (it's different company - http://www.nwinds.com). They were awesome. I don't know what the problem was - I rebooted and was able to print again (probably didn't close all the way when it crashed so it looked like I was running two copies).

I would recommend this software for those slightly tech savvy and for those who don't mind the learning curve. If you're committed to it, buy the license right away. You WILL get your forms out of it - it just takes some trial and error.

Oh yeah, if you download it, make sure you have the latest version. It will prompt you to check for updates. You should do that.
    Filed Chapter 7 pro se: 1/27/10
    341 scheduled for: 2/25/10
    Last day for objections: 4/26/10
    Discharged! - 5/3/10

Thank you for the review. I think this may help other Pro Se filers looking for resources and on how to prepare their documents.

I did find Blankrupter to be more archaic and cumbersome than BestCase, but Blankrupter does allow you to create a "single-use" case filing for only $49.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Is BestCase's software application called "Bankruptcy Pro"? I downloaded that one too and it appears that it won't let you do anything with it (at all) if you haven't purchased it. As I recall, it was also something like $999.
      Filed Chapter 7 pro se: 1/27/10
      341 scheduled for: 2/25/10
      Last day for objections: 4/26/10
      Discharged! - 5/3/10

Comment

No BestCase is "Best Case Bankruptcy" Version 18. It will let you download and use the software, but anything you "print" of save to PDF will have the word "DEMO" all over it in multiple locations and difficult to "edit" out of any document. However, I think it's probably the "best".
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          No BestCase is "Best Case Bankruptcy" Version 18. It will let you download and use the software, but anything you "print" of save to PDF will have the word "DEMO" all over it in multiple locations and difficult to "edit" out of any document. However, I think it's probably the "best".
          Difficult. But not impossible.

Comment

Thank you! Great reviews and so useful.

Comment

I'm an attorney and use Best Case (up to Version 19 now). It cost me ~$1,400 to be able to do both Chapter 7's and 13's plus ~$400/year to maintain. Using this software has saved me SO much time. On the day of the application signing, if the client changes anything at the last minute (less cash in savings/checking, just paid a car payment yesterday, etc), the software recalculates everything and I just print a new copy to sign. Then to file it's literally 'click to file' and it does everything while I watch, I enter my firm's credit card for the fee, and the case is filed in front of the client's eyes. I can print out their Notice of Filing Bankruptcy right then and there with their case # and a business card stapled to it, and they post it next to their phone to tell any collectors to call me. I couldn't operate with out Best Case.

For a single filer though, you could pay an attorney to do it for the price of the software.

--William
              I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
              As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X