top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing Pro Se - Are the online paperwork sites worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Pro Se - Are the online paperwork sites worthwhile?

I've looked at a number of sites which offer to put together the filing paperwork for me, and all I have to do is file it with the courthouse. The two which seem to be the most legit are bridgeportbankruptcy.com and usabankruptcyassociates.com.

Would I be better off using these sites (they charge around $200 for their services), or just filling out the forms myself?

Attorney's want around $2,000, which we can't really afford right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blankrupter singles looks good.

I decided to wait a little longer to file.
    Once you buy it ($49.95) you can file for up to 360 days, but only one case of course.

The only downside so far was that the exemptions amounts for California were outdated, but I called customer service and they walked me through and showed me how to manually update them.

Do your own diligence.

Comment

As long as you realize what you are getting and understand the risks, there is nothing inherently wrong with the doc prep sites. But realize, they are NOT a substitute for an attorney, all they do is take the information you give them and put it on the petition, everything is still your responsibility.

Personally, I don't think they are worth it because most BK court websites have the docs you need on the website and with a little elbow grease, you can probably figure it out.

It sounds like you have spoken to a few attorneys, did any of them warn you of any issues in your case.

Comment

The chapter 7 is pretty straightforward. A few creditors, apx 15k evenly across 3 of them. 1 pending lawsuit, which if I file in time, should stop it before it becomes a judgment.

I've filed court documents in the past, and never had any problems, so I'd assume I could figure out the forms to fill out. If those sites just populate forms with my data, then I'd rather take that money and use it towards the court filing fee.

Originally posted by HHM View Post
        As long as you realize what you are getting and understand the risks, there is nothing inherently wrong with the doc prep sites. But realize, they are NOT a substitute for an attorney, all they do is take the information you give them and put it on the petition, everything is still your responsibility.

Personally, I don't think they are worth it because most BK court websites have the docs you need on the website and with a little elbow grease, you can probably figure it out.

It sounds like you have spoken to a few attorneys, did any of them warn you of any issues in your case.

Comment

I used 1ClickBankruptcy

They provide the forms and software that saves and calculates data on the forms, but I filled out my own forms using their software.

I really liked it because everything was saved, and I could go back and make changes really easy.

However, there was a problem. This was about the time that the federal forms were updated and a few of the forms at 1ClickBankruptcy were not updated and I had to go on a federal site to retrieve those forms, but over all I was very happy with the service.

It was $49 bucks last year, and this year it seems they say that they are having a special, but they had the same "special last year". (lol)
          02-12-2009, Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se
          03-24-2009, 341
          05-28-2009, Discharged!

Comment

Some of the Doc Prep sites have issues. I used one and it had mathematical errors and some other issues on forms. This particular one also pushed the person completing their "interview" questions to not answer anything that goes on the Statement of Financial Affairs (SOFA)! (Indicating that answers would bring scrutiny!)

Anyhow, I ended up having to redo the majority of my forms (excluding the mailing matrix) by hand!

Blumberg Blankrupter seems nice, but I haven't tried it. The difference is that Blankrupter, you're filling out the forms. Most of the on-line preparers are interview/questionaire based.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I filed pro se on 04/05/10 using a local paralegal. In my opinion it would be best to use a local paralegal so that you have someone that types up the forms for your state on a regular basis and you can sit down with them face to face. If you already have not you should purchase nolo for bankruptcy, it really came in handy since a paralegal will not give you any legal advice.

Comment

When we initially decided to file bankruptcy, I decided to use an online petition preparer, bridgeportbankruptcy.com. I can tell you from personal experience that this is not a route you want to go if you can avoid it. I ended up having to redo every single part of my petition. If you simply cannot afford an attorney, see if there is a paralegal that you can go to for advice. If that still is not a viable option for you, then you need to at least be able to buy a bankruptcy reference manual (or two!) to help you file. You will need to be able to thoroughly research how to prepare your petition. The staff in the bankruptcy clerk's office was also very helpful to us; you just need to remember that they cannot give you any legal advice, but they can give you direction on the forms. I hope things work out well for you. Making the decision to file bankruptcy alone can be daunting, and then having to do it yourself doesn't make matters any better. Just know that there are many supportive people here on this forum who will stick with you along the way... Good luck!
                Filed Ch. 13 Pro Se 1/8/09
                Plan Payments Complete!!! 4/17/13:
                DISCHARGED!!! 7/9/13

Comment

Exactly. I had to re-do the majority of my forms. When I complained and claimed my 100% guarantee, the online service stated that they only guarantee that the forms will be accepted. Not that they are accurate.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Silly me. I didn't buy Nolo or any of the other books. I still haven't. Didn't talk to an attorney. Didn't talk to a paralegal. I just relied on my LRBP and FRBP and I used Best Case to prepare my forms. Oh and I have leaned pretty heavily on the postings of justbroke and MSbklawyer and HHM a few others on this forum. I'm not saying that was the smartest way to do it, but hey... so far, so good.

Comment

Try [removed URL reference]. It is $199. An attorney reviews the work that his paralegal does
                      Last edited by HHM; 05-23-2010, 05:20 AM. Reason: apparent soliciting of services.

Comment

Originally posted by wlonsdale View Post
                        Try [URL removed] It is $199. An attorney reviews the work that his paralegal does
                        I don't know that an attorney can get away with that everywhere, as some Courts may consider it ghostwriting which is not acceptable in the Federal Court System. I know that some Trustees in Florida, for example, hand out a form to "pro se" debtors at the 341 Meeting asking specifics about whether anyone "helped" them prepare the petition! These Trustees and the UST is looking for ghostwriters and other preparers that are not disclosed.

In the least case, anyone receiving that type of assistance must answer in the affirmative for question 9 of the Statement of Financial Affairs. It will be noticed.

From the instructions...

9. Payments related to debt counseling or Bankruptcy.

List all payments made or property transferred by or on behalf of the debtor to any persons, including attorneys, for consultation concerning debt consolidation, relief under the bankruptcy law or preparation of a petition in bankruptcy within one year immediately preceding the commencement of this case.
                        Last edited by HHM; 05-23-2010, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                          I don't know that an attorney can get away with that everywhere, as some Courts may consider it ghostwriting which is not acceptable in the Federal Court System. I know that some Trustees in Florida, for example, hand out a form to "pro se" debtors at the 341 Meeting asking specifics about whether anyone "helped" them prepare the petition! These Trustees and the UST is looking for ghostwriters and other preparers that are not disclosed.

In the least case, anyone receiving that type of assistance must answer in the affirmative for question 9 of the Statement of Financial Affairs. It will be noticed.
                          I filled the paperwork out just like you explained. No problems...at least in Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Even if you use a petition preparer, your still responsible for everything you put. you will still have to appear at the creditor's meeting and answer questions about your petition. IF it were me, id rather do it my own with the Nolo book so you can make sure you understand everything & are puttin the right thing down. at least for a chapter 7. from what others said about the chapter 13, i dont know if i could do it, WOW

Comment

JUST BROKE i too had to fill out an extensive questionaire for the trustee griling me as to wether i had help filling out my papers from a non attorney

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X