Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience filing pro se

The Good:
    I found the court very helpful when I called. I had a slight hiccup in my paperwork because copies of some forms were included and the original signature was required. The person that answered the phone put me on contact with the clerk that processed my paperwork and he called me back within a few hours and explained what I needed to send in. NOLO came in handy as a referance guide I highly reccomend using it.

The Bad:
    I was the only one in the room with no lawyer ! It was so intimidating to sit there through the proceedings while everyone went up with their lawyers. I sat through seven cases before I was called. I got there super early so I ended up sitting in on the 1:00pm session prior to mine. When it was my turn to sit with the trustee she asked me the normal questions and also asked about my car value and my jewelry. Both of which have little or no value. I was truthful on my paperwork so I answered my questions with confidence.
    She even asked if I knew what to do with my reaffirmation agreement for my car.

The Ugly:
    Since this is around the time a lot of people are receiving tax refunds it seemed to be the hot topic for the 341 meetings. It seemed everyone was asked about a tax refund. People that were expecting a refund of a few thousand were told to send the check to their lawyer and not to cash it. Those that already received a refund were questions about how it was spent. One case caught my attention. She questioned one man about large withdrawals from his checking account. She wanted to know why he was taking out huge cash withdrawals in thousands instead of checks and a debit card. I guess this seemed suspicious to her.

All in all everything went ok for me I am glad I saved my money and used a paralegal and NOLO. I am now crossing my fingers that everything goes smoothly for my discharge.

At my 341 meeting yesturday, the big question was the Tax return also. I didn't have one, so i was okay. I also found the Nolo book to be extremely valuable. when Im done and get the "discharge" im going to post something similar. so i take it your discharged now?

Comment

Good job, iwillsurvive. And a very nice summary too. Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope it all goes uneventfully for you.

Comment

Lezlovin I am still waiting for the discharge I have 60 days to go.

Comment

Were in the same boat. Me too ! until Jul 23 !!

Comment

I second Tigergem,

This is one of the most articulate replies here I have heard. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Wow..

I will re-read it before any further comments.

Thanks GF

Comment

Same here

14 days to go

Comment

our trustee asked about our tax return at our 341 as well, I simply said "I exempted it" and the trustee said "good" and that was that.
                Filed Pro Se- 12/15/2009
                341- 2/17/2010
                DISCHARGED- 3/18/2010

Comment

Originally posted by ecsclb1724 View Post
                  our trustee asked about our tax return at our 341 as well, I simply said "I exempted it" and the trustee said "good" and that was that.

Comment

I love hearing good news!
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have checked my pacer and the trustee has updated to show no distribution. I need to add one more thing about my experience. This forum was so valueable to me. I signed up on it a full two years before I decided to file.

Comment

IWillSurvive, this is good news to hear. Its sounds like a lot of preparation paid off. Thats why I try to read every post here.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X