Canadian Credit Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Credit Card

I recently received the "Discharge of Debtor" letter from the court. Now I've realized I should have included a Canadian credit card I had. I was under the assumption that the debt was outside the US and therefore wouldn't be covered under the US BK.

Is there anything I can do about it now? It's too late to amend the filing and include it, right?
    Chapter 7 filed pro se, 2-16-10 - California
    no asset case
    341 meeting 3-18-10

I don't specifically know if there are any treaties regarding debt with Canada. In most cases, the fact that you filed a no-asset Chapter 7 makes every debt that you had prior to filing, no longer your liability once you receive a discharge. This varies by State but California is liberal, so they probably read it as "all" debts prior to filing are discharged.

Just don't go back to Canada.

(Edited to add, I don't see that there is any bankruptcy treaty between the countries, even under NAFTA.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It may be a Canadian card, but does the issuing bank do business in the US? Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it if it is a small balance, if it was a big balance I might consider reopening and amending to be safe, but that will cost you about $250 and a lot of time...
      4/14/2010 Filed Chp. 7 Pro Se :blink: 5/17/2010 341 Hearing :blush2: 5/17/2010 Trustee's Initial Report Filed :yahoo: 6/4/2010 Final Trustee Report of No Distribution :clapping: 8/2/2010 Reaffirmation Hearing (Approved) :clapping: 8/11/2010 Discharged!
      I am not an attorney. You should not consider any of my statements to be legal advice.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X