Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plan paid back 0% and was a complex Chapter 13 with a conversion (after 20 months) to Chapter 7. It was borderline Chapter 11 as well. Complex, yes. Do I recommend that anyone attempt my type of complexity pro se... absolutely not.

I discovered that a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy could save my investment properties, literally 1 week before the foreclosure. I had never considered or even really KNEW about it. I contacted about 3 attorneys and they were all "busy" and couldn't file within the next few days. They (the "screeners") didn't even tell me about an emergency petition! Then I found this site in the middle of preparing my emergency Chapter 13 petition.

And the rest is history.
    Last edited by justbroke; 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention there were also no bankruptcy attorneys within 50 miles of where I was living at the time I filed.

And hi jb~ How you?

Comment

I had tax debt but didn't fully understand the laws on it. I was under the mistaken impression that it could NEVER be discharged. Had I waited a year or two more I could have discharged an additional $15,000 in tax debt. The other mistake was feeling that I had to file bankruptcy right away or I was going to get sued. In actuality it was doubtful that anyone would have ever sued me since I had no assets and a rather meager paycheck.
        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Meeting of Creditors

Just went through the 341 meeting yesterday. I learned that I didn't need an attorney, even though I hadn't provided them with a "registered copy" of my mortgage. I took care of it easily.

Comment

Damn, BestCase is only available for PC (not MAC). It looks like great software.

Comment

hahahahahaha i can only imagine myself when it's my turn,

Comment

Referring to the judge as "His Awesomeness"... guaranteed to get you the eyebrow.

(No, it wasn't me that said it lol.)

Comment

I always address my judge with Judge and their last name, and always say "good morning" or "good afternoon". They seem to always smile since I took a moment to actually say something other than... "your honor, Jack Shapiro for the plaintiff". Must be nice to hear, "justbroke, appearing Pro Se, and good morning Judge Doe, nice to see you again."

(I guess "nice to see you again" would be bad in criminal court!)
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    I always address my judge with Judge and their last name, and always say "good morning" or "good afternoon". They seem to always smile since I took a moment to actually say something other than... "your honor, Jack Shapiro for the plaintiff". Must be nice to hear, "justbroke, appearing Pro Se, and good morning Judge Doe, nice to see you again."

(I guess "nice to see you again" would be bad in criminal court!)
                    Yes, I do that, too. I really do like my judge, too. He's very much about logic, expediency and "common sense".

Comment

Hi all. I am new here and this is the first thread I chose to read and I must say I for one, greatly appreciate this one as my husband and I are now researching the idea of Chapter 7 and doing it ourselves as quite frankly we are in the rather low income bracket. This is a great thread and very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannalei View Post
                        Hi all. I am new here and this is the first thread I chose to read and I must say I for one, greatly appreciate this one as my husband and I are now researching the idea of Chapter 7 and doing it ourselves as quite frankly we are in the rather low income bracket. This is a great thread and very helpful.
                        Welcome to the forum Hannalei. You're amongst friends here.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                          I almost went Pro Se, but, one mistake regardless...do not list your lease if you're a renter and you're not in arrears with your landlord. Unless you want to have a very long and potentially bad conversation with your landlord.
                          Can anybody confirm if this is true or not? I am in good term, will continue living where I am at... Shall I list landlord or not?

Form Schedule G: Excutory Contracts and Unexpired and Form 108: Statement of Intention are both forms that I believe I would need to list leasing rental...
                          Last edited by throwaway210; 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Depends on the lease. If you are on a month-to-month lease (because you lived there more than the original term and it's a self-renewing term) then you don't have an unexpired lease. Otherwise you have to list the lease. Yes it can become an interesting conversation with the landlord, but if you assume the "unexpired" lease then it's as if nothing happens. In my case I did put the lease on Schedule G, but I also did not put the landlord on the mailing matrix. (I did end up rejecting the lease later after I learned about lien stripping and was able to move back into my investment home.)

Comment

I made the mistake of not listing my DSO (Domestic Support Obligation - child support) on the schedule E. Since I wasn't behind at all and it was garnished out of my check regardless, I didn't think I needed to list it. Wrong. Cost me an extra $31 to amend the creditor matrix - submitting an amended schedule costs nothing.

Second mistake - I submitted a motion to redeem (vehicle) and only served the 2 trustees and the company in question. Needless to say the clerk calls me and tells me this has to go to a hearing. She tells me "June 12th, 10:00 blah, blah, blah. Submit a notice of hearing with certificate of service to entire matrix".

ere's the worst mistake - I promptly send notice of hearing to everybody for July 12th @ 10:00. I still don't know how I made this mistake. I'm about as detail-oriented a person as you'll find. Clerk calls again - letting me know of my mistake. "Submit an amended notice of hearing" - which I did that same day she called (May 21st - wasting another chunk of change). The amended notice of hearing has never showed up in PACER, so tomorrow I'm interested to see what happens. The only thing I'm taking is documentation proving the validity of the funds - wife's savings account (not some redemption loan).

Comment

Motion granted anyway for 2 reasons (and then the judge says "I'm going to have one of my clerk's type up the order for you and you'll get a copy in the mail" - why thank you immensely Your Honor!). 1st reason: the ch7 trustee already filed his report of no assets (meaning the funds I proposed to use to pay off the car were legitimately exempt); 2nd reason: I was proposing to pay off the full value of the loan <> not some subjective "market value" lower than the loan balance (substantial equity in the car). Understand, the only reasons I did this was because it's my wife's car, which she has paid almost everything - and she was very dismayed that I filed bankruptcy at all and would not accept my word that she wasn't going to lose her car any other way. Secondly, I made a payment on it after filing and before receiving the reaffirmation paperwork (as this is what I checked on the statement of intention) and came to find out that the creditor's agent (AIS for Capital One Auto Financing) would not change the amounts accordingly on the reaffirmation agreement - meaning a completely wasted payment. So I went this route and learned a little more - got to actually witness lawyers doing something.

My car I'm letting "ride-through". Car's value is very near the loan value. Toyota Financial Services is the original creditor (NBS as agent), who said the same thing - would not change the amounts accordingly in regards to payments made after filing. When asked how disposed they were to the ride-through, the only reply was "don't ever miss a payment or let the insurance lapse". Which I've read to be accurate regarding TFS somewhere else, but I forget where. Time will tell though.

A book that really helped me file pro se (read months before filing, when it was looking inevitable ~$17 amazon) was ISSN 2326-7089

Important detail - both vehicles were current and never even late paid once at the time of filing. Good luck pro se-ers!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X