How did you KNOW your paperwork was right and ready to file? Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you KNOW your paperwork was right and ready to file? Please help

Ok, I have working on my CHAPTER 7 pro-se filing now since October 8th or so. I think I am done and that all is correct. I went by my states checklist of what has to be included and have read NOLO thru and posted a TON of posts asking questions here on the board.

I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb this evening after work, then turn it in in the morning. Now, i did an emergency filing on Oct 12th, so by my calculation that leaves me until WED, OCT 27th COB to turn in the rest of the packet RIGHT???????

If I am right, and WED is my 15 day deadline......if the lady who checks thru the stuff real quick spies anything wrong, I still have one day to clean things up.

While I am down there tmrw morning, maybe I should review a sample filing they have to see if i hosed anything?

HOW DID YOU KNOW IT WAS READY TO TURN IN?

Whats the worst that could happen if I put something in the wrong spot (I am a simple NO ASSET case, way under median, we own nothing but one car to return to lender and one cheapo car as my exemption).

Im so scared I screwed up.
    Filed PRO SE 10/12/10......341 held 11/8/10......awaiting discharge.....

It's more important to get the rest of it turned in before the deadline than it is to have it perfect. Sounds like you've done a great job, but you can always amend the forms in the future if you have to. Don't cut it too close. Good luck.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

No assets can change to assets easily

The Trustee gets paid $ 60 for a no asset case, but $1,250 for assets of $ 5,000, which is 25 %.

The Trustee will be looking for items and assets that you can't exempt, but did. But
      not small items with no resale value.

So it is very important to try to make sure that you list everything of value that you have and put it all in the right places. But if you don't, the Trustee will usually tell
      a Pro Se Debtor just to change the schedules. They are looking for fraud, not honest
      mistakes. You sound pretty conscientious, so don't worry. I didn't claim everything
      just right, so I changed it all after the 341 mtg and filed it with the clerks.

Originally posted by DebtZombie View Post
      Ok, I have working on my CHAPTER 7 pro-se filing now since October 8th or so. I think I am done and that all is correct. I went by my states checklist of what has to be included and have read NOLO thru and posted a TON of posts asking questions here on the board.

I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb this evening after work, then turn it in in the morning. Now, i did an emergency filing on Oct 12th, so by my calculation that leaves me until WED, OCT 27th COB to turn in the rest of the packet RIGHT???????

If I am right, and WED is my 15 day deadline......if the lady who checks thru the stuff real quick spies anything wrong, I still have one day to clean things up.

While I am down there tmrw morning, maybe I should review a sample filing they have to see if i hosed anything?

HOW DID YOU KNOW IT WAS READY TO TURN IN?

Whats the worst that could happen if I put something in the wrong spot (I am a simple NO ASSET case, way under median, we own nothing but one car to return to lender and one cheapo car as my exemption).

Im so scared I screwed up.

Comment

I filed pro se and was very nervous just like you. I went over my paperwork so many times checking against Nolo, but unfortunately I forgot 2 district specific papers. They were just papers that required signatures. Anyway, after I gave the clerk my paperwork she told me to have a seat and if she had any questions she would call me. Well, she called me up 2 times and I was sweating bullets. Lucky for me, she was extremely nice and allowed me to fill out those papers right at her window. Before, I knew it, I was out of there. I check pacer periodically and so far nothing out of the ordinary on there so I just sit tight right now and wait for the 341.
        Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

Originally posted by mommi2many View Post
          I forgot 2 district specific papers. They were just papers that required signatures. Anyway, after I gave the clerk my paperwork she told me to have a seat and if she had any questions she would call me. Well, she called me up 2 times and I was sweating bullets. Lucky for me, she was extremely nice and allowed me to fill out those papers right at her window.
          Wow, that was nice of her. We mailed our paperwork, as the nearest Bankruptcy Court is almost 3 hours away. I did the same though, checked Pacer and everything seems to be ok so far.
          Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Usually if you are pro se, well under means test, and have no assets, the trustee will very go easy on you. He wants to get his $60 and spend as little time as possible on your case. Ever hear the saying you can't get blood from a stone? Just do your best, be honest, and show respect for the court and trustee and you will be fine.
            I am not an attorney. This post does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraCorian View Post
              The Trustee gets paid $ 60 for a no asset case, but $1,250 for assets of $ 5,000, which is 25 %.

The Trustee will be looking for items and assets that you can't exempt, but did. But
              not small items with no resale value.

So it is very important to try to make sure that you list everything of value that you have and put it all in the right places. But if you don't, the Trustee will usually tell
              a Pro Se Debtor just to change the schedules. They are looking for fraud, not honest
              mistakes. You sound pretty conscientious, so don't worry. I didn't claim everything
              just right, so I changed it all after the 341 mtg and filed it with the clerks.
              although trustee's can be sticklers about paperwork, most of their office staff are quite helpful....MOST of the time.

once our trustee's office rec'd our paperwork, and even tho we had an atty and were not pro se, they asked for additional information. if you have left out something they need...they will simply ask you; for an example...may be please have your 1040 for 2008...just an example...if you are missing something then they will request it really...it's not the end of the line or anything.

now... i must tell you this...i have watched you killing yourself for the past few days doing this...and your are indeed to be commented....but TAKE A BREATH....

do NOT turn it in immediately..........take at least ONE day OFF........then go back with a clear head and a pair of eyes and review one...and ONLY ONE LAST TIME!! you need to...you are blind now to anything you may have missed because it's all you can see when you close you eyes....

as difficult as this seems, try and relax just a day or two...review...seal it up and ship it out....

best of luck...i KNOW you will fine...perfect...really...NOTHING cannot be fixed...
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by mommi2many View Post
                I filed pro se and was very nervous just like you. I went over my paperwork so many times checking against Nolo, but unfortunately I forgot 2 district specific papers. They were just papers that required signatures. Anyway, after I gave the clerk my paperwork she told me to have a seat and if she had any questions she would call me. Well, she called me up 2 times and I was sweating bullets. Lucky for me, she was extremely nice and allowed me to fill out those papers right at her window. Before, I knew it, I was out of there. I check pacer periodically and so far nothing out of the ordinary on there so I just sit tight right now and wait for the 341.
                That's exactly what happened to us. There were 2 papers that were not available online, not even on their website. We just had to sign. It wasn't a big deal. She was really nice too. We were the only ones there. I was sweatin and shakin a little bit too.
                I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
                Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X