top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How specific should you be on numbers of things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How specific should you be on numbers of things?

Should I say "250 DVDs ($250)" or just "DVDs ($250)"?
    3/7/11 -

You can say something like, "assorted DVDs -- $xx.xx" Go to yard sales. You will see them for as little as .25 apiece. One dollar per is too high.

Likewise, you can say something like "assorted kitchen utensils" meaning butcher knives, meat forks, cleavers, etc. Again, think yard sale prices.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
      You can say something like, "assorted DVDs -- $xx.xx"
      Good to know I don't have to give numbers. It creates vagueness and is more difficult to challenge. I have plenty of 522(d)(5) cap headroom, though.
      Go to yard sales. You will see them for as little as .25 apiece. One dollar per is too high.
      Really? How depressing. I've been valuing my CDs at $1 per too, and my books at 50 cents each. Too much?
      Likewise, you can say something like "assorted kitchen utensils" meaning butcher knives, meat forks, cleavers, etc. Again, think yard sale prices.
      I put all my food "stuff" (pots, pans, utensils, glassware, plates) under "cookware" on my Schedule B. I valued it at $50.
      3/7/11 -

Comment

She didn't mean give a number. You have to have a number to exempt. If you put all you own and no numbers, you will have issues. You can't expect the Trustee to figure out how much your stuff is worth, or rather, you don't want that to happen.

My books are worth more than $.50 a piece, but they are expensive books to begin with. I used Craigslist and thrift stores as my prices.
        I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
        Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Originally posted by dumpinmydebt View Post
          She didn't mean give a number. You have to have a number to exempt. If you put all you own and no numbers, you will have issues. You can't expect the Trustee to figure out how much your stuff is worth, or rather, you don't want that to happen.
          What I meant by that is I did give a value for my DVDs, CDs, comics, etc (separately of course) but I did not specify how many of each. Will that be a problem?
          3/7/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by randian View Post
            What I meant by that is I did give a value for my DVDs, CDs, comics, etc (separately of course) but I did not specify how many of each. Will that be a problem?
            You can if you want, but it does not need to be exact. Or you can put assorted or whatnot. I put how many we have, or an estimate. No one is going to come over and count how many DVD's you have. I don't think the Trustee will take one second look at it.

Now, if we were talking about diamonds, then I would have a different answer.
            I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
            Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Be as un-specific as you can. The more you make a big deal of something, the bigger a deal it can become.

All of your stuff, like all of ours............ is worthless!
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I used categories. So, for all media (books, magazines, DVDs, music CDs, etc), I put "Miscellaneous Media". Do not get specific unless it's a high value item like a Plasma TV. I listed both my Plasma TVs separately, but everything else as miscellaneous household goods, miscellaneous household fixtures, miscellaneous clothing, miscellaneous electronics.

I did such a good job, that the Trustee never sent an appraiser to my home.

(FYI: In Florida, many Trustee do send someone to look at what's in your home. This is because people outright lie or undervalue the property, and don't give enough specifics/categorization.)
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I put "General Low-end Household goods and TVs(Garage sale quality)" with an exempt of 1500, and everything went smooth.
                  I'm in CO and that may make a difference, what state are you in?
                  Filed Pro-Se 8/19/2010 - 341 Meeting 9/20/2010 - Notice of no distribution 9/22/2010
                  12/06/2010 !!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X