top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time do I have to complete the post-filing counseling for a ch7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much time do I have to complete the post-filing counseling for a ch7?

I hope that's not a silly question. I know i have to complete the credit counseling prior to filing and that the financial management course has to be completed before discharge, but is there a time limit or time frame for completing it?

My Trustee offered the post filing counseling at the 341. You might want to find out if yours does and take advantage of doing so.

Comment

You have 60 days after the date of your 341 to complete the post-filing debtor education and file the certificate with the court. Best to get it out of the way as soon as you can though. You don't want to let it slip your mind and have your case dismissed for failure to complete it and file the certificate
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cubanito72 View Post
        I hope that's not a silly question. I know i have to complete the credit counseling prior to filing and that the financial management course has to be completed before discharge, but is there a time limit or time frame for completing it?
        You have until the case discharges, in order to file the certificate. If the "last date to file a dischargeability complaint" has passed, your discharge is imminent. That last date is 60 days after your first scheduled 341 Meeting, so be careful with the date if your 341 Meeting was rescheduled. You should to the Financial Management class (also known as the "second class"), as soon as you can after filing. In Florida, "some" Trustees offer the class the same day of the 341 Meeting for free!

The bad thing is that if 60 or even 70 days pass and the clerk goes to issue the Discharge Order, or your court and case are set to "auto-discharge" on day 61, then no certificate (and Form B23) means no discharge. You will actually get a dismissal order instead. (If that happens, you'll have to file a Motion to Vacate Dismissal, pleading with the court to re-open the case (if closed) and/or allowing you to file the missing certificate (and Form B23).
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X