top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ch 7 w/ a vehicle title loan question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch 7 w/ a vehicle title loan question...

A close friend of mine as asked me to help him file Ch 7 on his own pro se.

He has a fairly straightforward case from what I can tell thus far however they have a title loan on a vehicle they "own."

Of course because this is their only car they want to keep it... How does that work if they got a sleezy loan through a cash time title loan and they want to discharge the debt in BK but keep the car?

Originally posted by davedude View Post
    Of course because this is their only car they want to keep it... How does that work if they got a sleezy loan through a cash time title loan and they want to discharge the debt in BK but keep the car?
    I wouldn't call them sleezy if you (your friend) actually used them. They must have provided a needed service at the time.

That aside, if this is a true title loan, then your friend surrendered the title. The title loan company either recorded a lien and/or have a "possessory" lien. Whether or not this title is actually property perfected, will determine whether is is a secured or unsecured loan.

If it's an unsecured loan, it will be discharged. However, if the car has too much value, your friend may have trouble exempting it. Since this may turn into an asset case, your friend may actually lose the car. A very good reason not to file pro se.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X