Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article: By the Numbers--Pro Se Filers in the Bankruptcy Courts

http://www.uscourts.gov/News/TheThir...cy_Courts.aspx

Was wondering what the stats were. In my area under 2% Pro Se.

Basic proportional growth, the more BK's that are filed, the more pro se debtors. The more interesting stat, if it can be found, is the ratio of dismissed pro se cases to cases filed.

Comment

I agree with HHM. I'd like to see the statistics around successful pro-se filings for both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 that have made it to discharge and close. I'd also like to see the amount of debt that was discharged and general numbers concerning the Chapter 13 plans.

Of the bankruptcy petitions closed during the 12-month period ending June 30, 2011, the fees in 31 percent of all pro se cases were not paid in full. from the article posted above
      Is this telling? Is this telling me that 31% of the pro se cases fail just because they didn't pay the complete fee?!!?!

That may be too much to ask.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

There is (must be) this demographic in bankruptcy of low debt, very low income filers for which attorneys don't encounter too often. These people use petition prep services and file pro se. I am thinking like less than $20K per year income and less than $10K in debt.

You are correct justbroke, the interesting info to pull from pro se cases would be the income and amount of debt in those cases. Are they, as I would assume, the very low debt, very low income with only a small percentage of the pro se population the stubborn know-it-alls who file on their own, but probably should have hired an attorney

However, I am surprised by the percentage of pro se filings in CA. Eastern district I would expect to be somewhat high given the large geographic area, it is probably not served by as many attorneys, but Central district is awfully high (that may be that it encompasses the major population center of CA, L.A., Riverside, etc), still, 27% is huge and it is not like CA has the easiest exemption system to figure out.

Also. probably some of the increase is due to the proliferation of information about bankruptcy on the web. When this forum started, there wasn't really much out there. Now, you really can get about everything you need to handle a relatively basic case online.

Comment

If I'm correct, HHM, that District also has a Pro Se clinic staffed with pro bono attorneys -- and clerks I assume -- that assist filers!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            I agree with HHM. I'd like to see the statistics around successful pro-se filings for both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 that have made it to discharge and close. I'd also like to see the amount of debt that was discharged and general numbers concerning the Chapter 13 plans.

Is this telling? Is this telling me that 31% of the pro se cases fail just because they didn't pay the complete fee?!!?!

That may be too much to ask.
            I can try in a week or so to ask my Trustee, or someone in his office, maybe, if there is a way to access those stats. I have a pretty full plate right now. Although... well... I suppose I have time to dash off an email. I'll let you know if or when I receive a response.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
              There is (must be) this demographic in bankruptcy of low debt, very low income filers for which attorneys don't encounter too often. These people use petition prep services and file pro se. I am thinking like less than $20K per year income and less than $10K in debt.

You are correct justbroke, the interesting info to pull from pro se cases would be the income and amount of debt in those cases. Are they, as I would assume, the very low debt, very low income with only a small percentage of the pro se population the stubborn know-it-alls who file on their own, but probably should have hired an attorney
              What about the percentage of moderately low income relatively high debt stubborn know-it-alls? Don't we count for anything? I just realized I had my second year anniversary of my filing, last month, I guess, btw. Since I was asking my trustee the question, I thanked him for putting up with me for two years lol.

Comment

Oh. Look what I found. Not just the statistics, but downloadable spreadsheets, an interactive map ... it's all right there! http://www.uscourts.gov/Statistics/B...tatistics.aspx

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X