Kind of Urgent re: Minor Childs SSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of Urgent re: Minor Childs SSI

I honestly can't find the answer. Everywhere I've looked someone says something different. Do I report his SSI? If so, where?

I'm ready to file, he only started receiving $ this month.

Originally posted by Krys View Post
    I honestly can't find the answer. Everywhere I've looked someone says something different. Do I report his SSI? If so, where?

I'm ready to file, he only started receiving $ this month.
    SSI is income derived under the Social Security Act. The definition of "current monthly income" (CMI) in the Means Test (Form B22A/C), found in 11 USC 101, excludes "benefits received under the Social Security Act" (11 USC 101(10A)(B)).

You should include it on your Schedule I under "Social security or government assistance". I'm pretty sure this is covered in the NoLo book although it may not be crystal clear. On Schedule I Line 11, (where is reads "explain") you should indicate that it's for a minor child (never list any names of minor children).

Of course, this is my opinion. It is certainly (household) income that needs to be shown on Schedule I. However, it is not income for the purposes of the means test.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If I remember correctly, my daughters social security & VA benefits were not used in the means test, but was used in my Schedule I.

Ok, I just looked - I had to list it on my schedule I since it was part of what I used to pay expenses, but it not part of the B22A CHAPTER 7 STATEMENT OF CURRENT MONTHLY INCOME AND MEANS-TEST CALCULATION
      Jessica
      Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
      Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X