Name change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name change

I'm filing pro-se, so I don't have a lawyer to ask re: name change.
    I changed my name on all my accounts except for one. I've been having problems with this one bank not processing the name change. I sent them the proper documents, but they still haven't changed my name. I called them and the person I spoke with said I need to fill out new forms, that the person I spoke with previously gave me the wrong information. Now I'm waiting for them to send me a new set of forms to fill out. I was planning on filing next week, but if I file before my name is changed on that account, will the trustee cry foul? or, more to the point, fraud? Thanks in advance.

There shouldn't be a problem. There is a place on the BK petition, right under your name, to list all names you have used in the last 8 years. Put your former name(s) in that space and there will be nothing for anyone to cry foul or fraud about.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yes, I put my former name there but I was still worried about them being notified properly because I have a personal line of credit with them, which I should probably discharge. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I've been paying on it every month by depositing cash into that account. I'd like to keep the line of credit because I will probably not be able to get any credit (at an affordable rate) for a long time after I file. And I've had this account for over 15 years. On the other hand, it would take me 3 years to pay if off if I keep at the minimum payment.

Comment

They will have adequate notice as long as you include all names you have used on your petition. If it will make you feal better, mail them a copy of the notice of filing with a cover letter referencing your account number and former name.

If you have a balance on the line of credit, the debt WILL be discharged. You have no choice. You don't get to pick and chose which debts get discharged.

Even if there is no balance to discharge, the creditor will almost certainly close the line of credit when they receive notice of your BK. It is very rare for creditors to keep credit lines open after the account holder files BK.

If you are certain you will file BK and the line of credit is unsecured, you are throwing money away by continuing to make payments.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I just made the (definite) decision to file a couple of weeks ago. And the amount I was paying each month was less than $40. You're right about throwing money away, though. Thanks for your help.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X