Schedule C and citing laws pacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule C and citing laws pacer

So I created a pacer account figuring I could find local cases to view examples of filings. I only see the ability to search by case number. How can pacer be useful to me? If someone could point me to citing mass laws in sched c it would be great.

So far this is what I can find. Is this what I would put into the Law Citation in Sched C? Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 235, § 34; ch. 246, § 28.

Comment

First, do you have a guidebook such as NoLo's Guide to Chapter 7? If not, you REALLY need to get a guidebook whether you purchase an eBook version, a paperback version, or you borrow one from your local library! (Just make sure it's up to date!)

Second, Massachusetts allows you to choose either the Massachusetts exemption scheme OR the Federal exemption scheme (found in 11 USC 522). You must first figure out which exemption scheme you are going to use as you can only use one.

Third, for each item you are exempting, you list the applicable sections of law, such as Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 235, § 34. If the "single" item you are listing is being protected by multiple sections of law (because you exceeded a limit and are using a "wildcard" or other offsetting section of law), you can list multiple sections of law, such as Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 235, § 34; ch. 246, § 28..

NoLo's Website has an "okay" listing of the exemptions under the Massachusetts exemption scheme. It's a little all over the place, but it is there.

I looked at how they just simply write "Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 235, § 34; ch. 246, § 28", but not everything is BOTH those chapters of the law! For example, Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 246, § 28. applies to pensions and wages, not household goods.

Exemptions are very important to protect property. Please review accordingly.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Also, Massachusetts hosts regular clinics for pro-se filers. I'm not going to be filing pro-se so I've never attended any of them, but the information is here: http://www.mab.uscourts.gov/mab/pro-...kruptcy-clinic

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X