top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when you go to actually file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when you go to actually file?

I am about a week from filing and am curious about what happens when I arrive a the courthouse. How long does the actual process take and what does it entail?

It's been a while since I filed my Ch. 7, but if I remember correctly, it took about 45 minutes. The clerk has to verify you've included everything. Then s/he stamps your case number on the pages and scans them all into the computer. S/he collects your payment and gives you a receipt, along with your case number, which you'll need for creditors. I don't remember for sure, but I think they don't schedule your hearing that day. You'll get a letter in the mail a short time later letting you know when you have your 341 meeting, and who your trustee is. I think, if you're doing Ch. 13, you need to mail your first payment to the trustee w/i 30 days, and it's a good idea to make sure s/he has it in hand before your 341 meeting.

Unless your district is quite different, or the process has streamlined, allow at least an hour and bring something to do, because the clerk won't be interacting with you for most of that time, at least IME.
    Filed No Asset Ch. 7, pro se, 08/18/2008
    341 meeting is 09/25/2008
    Last day for objections is 11/24/2008
    Discharged: 11/28/2008

Comment

ours took about 5 minutes. our paperwork, and that's the key here, was in perfect order, no stone unturned. just have all you ducks in a role and you will have no problems. promise! we had a chapter 7 no asset case and it's been a few years now.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

My experience was very similar to tunskit's. You'll need your ID and your petition in order. The clerk will scan your paperwork, give you your case number and you'll be on your way. Being the PACER nut, I knew my trustee and the 341 date a few days before the letters got there.

Comment

Filed a skeleton petition today. Y'all were right, it was a breeze

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X