Anyone else file pro-se in Michigan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else file pro-se in Michigan?

I wondered if anyone here has filed in Michigan and how that went. I haven't filed yet. I am working minimum wage part-time and do not have any $ for a lawyer.

Thanks.

MIGirl

Before deciding whether to file pro-se, you need to decide whether it makes sense to file at this time. It may make more sense to file once you have enough income to pay your basic living expenses.

Your wages may be so low that they cannot be garnished. See http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hment-law.html.

It sounds like your income is too low to support yourself. Bankruptcy won't help that. If stopping payments to unsecured creditors won't allow you to save for attorney fees, that is a good sign that BK won't help.

Have you even been sued by any creditors?

I suggest you make appointments for free consultations with two or three bankruptcy lawyers before deciding whether to file and, if you do file, whether to file pro-se.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I just looked back at your other posts. It sounds like you have a tax offset to pay defaulted student loans. Are these federal student loans, or did a private lender get a judgment? If federal, have you tried applying for an income based repayment plan?

Is saving your tax refund the only reason you want to file for BK?

ETA: Have you tried to get help from Legal Aid?
      Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
        I just looked back at your other posts. It sounds like you have a tax offset to pay defaulted student loans. Are these federal student loans, or did a private lender get a judgment? If federal, have you tried applying for an income based repayment plan?
        I think they are Federal, no lenders have gotten judgments. I got my loans out of default about 3 or 4 years ago when I was working, but then defaulted again and haven't worked since.

Is saving your tax refund the only reason you want to file for BK?

ETA: Have you tried to get help from Legal Aid?
        I have a judgement in NJ for a cc, and I owe on a car that got repoed a couple of years ago (I owe about 11k on the repoed car). The tax refund is the reason I am thinking about filing early next year. I would rather do it on my time, instead of having to do it in a hurry if I am getting sued and/or garnished.

No I haven't called legal aid, I didn't think they helped with bankruptcies.

Comment

Have you even been sued by any creditors?
          I have a judgement in NJ for a couple of k for a cc. I also had a car repoed two or three years ago, I owe about 11k on that. I am going to see a couple of attorneys for questions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X