Charitable Donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable Donation

I may have screwed my husband up without realizing it. I do our taxes and oversee our bank accounts and for the past 2 years, I have donated most of our state income tax refund to the charities listed on the tax form. For 2020 it was $800. My husband is filing for bankruptcy this year and I just looked over his paperwork. He didn't list the donation because he wasn't aware of it so I know he's going to have to amend it but is this also going to affect him being discharged? Did I make a major mistake?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

So what is the question here? If you need to turnover any refunds, I'm sure the trustee will give you a bit of extra time to pay the $800 from post-petition wages. However, that should be a non-issue because if you spent the money pre-petition such as donations via the tax filing, it's fine.

There is no place on the petition for specific donations. But you can use charitable donations as part of your expenses. Unless you need the charitable donation expense to pass the means test, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X