Repo Man knocking on the gate for a dead relative's car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repo Man knocking on the gate for a dead relative's car

Long story short... a relative of mine died several years ago owing tons of credit card debt, mortgage debt, etc. No one opened probate, and no one ever stepped up as the executor of the insolvent estate. And by law, any creditor could have become the executor, but none of them did anything about it either besides threatening legal action against us, which never materialized.

I had assumed that everything was over with by now.

I was wrong.

He had a car with a car loan, but another relative took that car, and I assumed, made the payments or whatever on it. Not so.

The car loan is way past charge off, and the repo man is desperately looking for it.

I have never driven it and all I know about it is that another relative took it and used it as his own car for the past year or so, and then "gave" it to his horrible druggie step daughter to use. She disappeared with it, and no one has heard from her lately, and no one knows where she is at the moment.

If I do talk to the repo man, what should I say?
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Seems you already have it figured out, but you have no reason to talk with them and are not obligated. Tell him to stop knocking on your door and to not call.

How did the repo man end up at your place anyway. Did you co-sign or were you a reference on the loan? If its not your debt you need only tell him once for every action after that to become violations.
    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Oh, he lived here briefly when he got out of a mental ward, and had his mail sent here, and then this address appeared on his credit report, and that's why they keep coming here.

I never co-sign for anyone. Not that it would do any good with my own credit problems.
      The world's simplest C & D Letter:
      "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
      Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

It's going to be a moot point soon unless the step daughter decides to steal a valid license tag or decal off another vehicle. There is no way she can renew the tag expecially if the bank has already applied for a repo certificate or title and she'll need proof of insurance. Let the bank try to find it... it's the bank's problem.

Comment

Agreed, unless they can lo-jack it, that car's going to end up trashed in some impound yard, stripped for parts, or put in a shipping container and sent to Africa.
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X