Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job offer got pulled!!

I don't know where else to turn, and I am having a heart attack! My husband and I decided to file bankruptcy from our credit cards only and will be filing in December. The last 2 months we have been marked as delinquent on three credit cards, prior to that we never missed a payment. We have 20 other accounts in good standing. I received a job offer and was very upfront as to what they would be seeing on my credit report when they pulled it. It was a simple job as a part-time bank teller, which I'm very overqualified for. After 2 weeks of background checks and pulling my credit they called today to let me know that they were pulling the offer because they can't go forward with my credit report the way it is. I did make sure to clarify that that was all that was the issue and they confirmed that it was. Stating, "Its to protect you as well as the bank."...whatever that means.

We are in such a terrible financial position right now I'm beside myself. I've been crying all day. I can't believe that employers can do this. I could see if I had other issues in my past but I don't. I'm just looking for other people that have been in a similar position and were able to successfully get jobs because I'm starting to think maybe filing is a bad idea! What if I can't find work!? Is it better to hold off on filing and go through debt consolidation to at least bring my credit back up to good standing??

Mcmcgee1129 - I am so sorry this has happened to you. You are working to fix your situation and it's not fair you're being penalized. Somehow I'm suspecting it's due to working
    in a bank. What state are you in? I know some don't look at credit reports and others do. You should not be penalized on every job you apply for. I applied for a few new jobs
    while I was in BK and it never came up as an issue. Is there another area you could work in until your case is done?
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Thank you for replying! I do have an administrative background, but the area that I live in now is mainly banking so this hurts for sure. I don't know what to do. I'm just worried that it's going to take so much time to actually find a position at this point, only to find out at the end they're going to pull credit and I'm screwed. This makes me so upset because like I said until like 3 months ago we had great credit! It's just such a shame that they are able to do that.

Comment

Unfortunately, right now, your credit is showing the delinquencies so that may be why you're getting the bad response. Filing bk might actually be in your favor, because it shows that you are working to fix a bad situation. Not filing is not going to fix the situation. Unfortunately those delinquencies will show on your account for a number of years. Be careful of debt consolidation - it does not always work and you may have creditors that will not agree with the plan to do so. At least in BK, they have no choice but to follow the plan the court approves (I am assuming you would be filing a 13???)
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

So what is the problem? Banks and other financial institutions are highly regulated, and cannot hire people with significant delinquent debt or outstanding judgments. The reason should be obvious: a heavily indebted person, or a person who is at risk for wage garnishment is much more likely to steal, embezzle, or cooperate with criminal activity than a person without such debt or judgments.

The solution is simple: file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and discharge the debt. Then you will pass the pre-employment credit check. DO NOT even consider "debt consolidation", as it won't improve your chances of being hired in any industry where pre-employment credit/background checks are used.

BTW, if you and your husband are definitely going to file, then stop paying all your unsecured debts now! Any money paid towards a debt which will be discharged is simply wasted at this point. Use the money to pay your living expenses going forward.

Comment

bcohen - wouldn't a chapter 7 also show up on the bk report? also, the delinquencies would continue to show? They just don't disappear on a 13...are you saying they do on a 7?
            Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Remember that a pre-employment credit check is not the same as a creditor checking a prospective borrower's credit. An employer is concerned with "risk factors" for theft/embezzlement, failing to report the criminal acts of others, excessive stress/customer relations issues, lost productivity, etc. The moment you declare bankruptcy, that demonstrates to the prospective employer that you are doing something about your debts, and once the debts have been discharged, they don't exist anymore as far as an employer is concerned.

Comment

bcohen - thanks for the clarification. BTW - I meant to say credit report, not bk report. It doesn't matter whether you file a 7 or 13, it just matters that you file and clean up those debts.
                Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Might as well file and rip it off like a bandaid..

I had trouble finding work after bankruptcy. Government entities are not legally allowed to prejudice against you for your bankruptcy filing, so, maybe try to find an administrative position with a state, county or federal employer. I work for the county where I live, doesn't pay as well as private and you never earn more than starting pay, but, at least health benefits aren't bad.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X