Unemployment benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment benefits

Will unemployment compensation be considered as income like a regular job? After much time looking for a job, I've applied to unemployment and so far I may be eligible, nothing is concrete yet. Anyway, is it a bad idea to pay a BK attorney with this cash? I am really thinking of doing so.

Thanks!

You can use UE for anything you please-icluding legal fees.
    It's just a bad idea to file while you have no stability in your life. What happens if you file and are discharged and a few weeks post bk you have an accident or an illiness with large medical debt. You won't be able to file a Chapter 7 for 8 long years.

Comment

Hi, well I know where you are coming from. I was thinking about getting health insurance with the UE. But it will probably be very expensive.

Comment

JayJay, what are you unemployed from? Were you employed with a company/business that had group health insurance? If so, you may be eligible for C.O.B.R.A. insurance, that will be the same as your former coverage, but YOU will be paying it. Be aware that it is VERY expensive, and most likely your UE payments won't begin to cover it. Also, if you get a part time job, whatever you make will be subtracted from whatever weekly benefit you are qualified for.
        Last edited by AngelinaCat; 06-29-2008, 06:07 AM.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Unemployment compensation is taxable income so it will be considered as income during the period you receive it.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            Unemployment compensation is taxable income so it will be considered as income during the period you receive it.
            I will echo what Flamingo said. Since nothing is withheld from UE, you will be hit at the end of the tax year.

One more comment about health insurance: if you were covered by your previous employer, and you have a pre-existing condition, you will NOT be able to get health insurance on your own. You will be turned down because of the pre-existing condition. Then C.O.B.R.A. is the only option.

Good luck to you.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

To follow up Ms. Cat, you will get a letter assuring insurability to a new insurance company, however you have 60 days max to file for C.O.B.R.A. and unless you actually payfor and use 18 months of COBRA, that letter is worthless as with preexisting as I have (cancer), the only way I can get Blue Cross Blue Shield or others and they by law are "forced" to take you back, you MUST go the COBRA route. Don't ask me why? I'm not sure except it is probably a 'money thing'.
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X