top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think you will lose your job because of the economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think you will lose your job because of the economy?

Share your feelings...
    Yes
    18.82%
    No
    28.04%
    Maybe
    21.40%
    Already Did
    31.73%
    The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

NPR just said 1.2 million jobs have been lost year. The highest in 14 years. It also said the only thriving fields were government, Health care and another career filed that I forgot. I would never want to jinx myself and say my job is safe or not safe..

Comment

Not in a million years, wife either. When the comet hits, maybe. Those who took exempt positions or administrative positions, that's another story. Risky moves, in some cases more money or clout, sometimes less money, just cleaner jobs or placement because of permanent injury. Stay safe, secure and work a little more OT and still live in the same neighborhood as your boss, smart way to stay. Already handed back a promo in 1994, no regrets. love my job.

4 years left to go.
      "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

I have tenure, so unless the college I work at undergoes a financial collapse, I don't have job security worries. Our college President and financial officers are very conservative (true meaning of the word, not political meaning) so have been very careful about debt, over-extending the school's resources, etc. We took very minimal endowment draws back when the economy was good, so our operating budget isn't really impacted by changes in the stock market the way some of our peer institutions are, and we have zero debt, so I don't forsee major belt-tightening since we've always been a frugal institution to start with. Now if our # of students start decreasing significantly, that could be a problem since tuition is a major part of our operating budget, but in a worsening economy with job losses increasing, we seem to be having as many new students enroll to improve their marketable skills as we have those that have to leave because they can no longer get enough loans to pay for it. But our raises might get smaller and benefits cut if this recession lasts too long I fear.
        Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
        Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

We've actually done relatively well all things considered this year. We are breaking about where we did last year on revenue so far. So I think my job for now is safe.
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I would say yes. I ended up having to go on unemployment because my dad couldn't afford to pay me anymore because things had dried up that much. That was back in September before things really got bad.

Comment

My wife works in Economic Crimes for the Atty. General, they are self funded. I work in Public Transit under 13C, Railroad and a host of other protections and the area area I am in only has afew hundred trained people in the Country and in fact the Dems want to force certification for my specific position (I faxed the info to my Supervisor this morning). i would have no trouble passing but would be grandfathered anyway.
              "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

I am secure; however, my hubby is in retail which as we all know is doing horrid right now. He works on straight salary plus commission and his commission has resulted in a drop in pay for us over the past several months of $300/$400 per month. Christmas sales may help some but probably not a lot. We have learned from past mistakes and our filing and if he does lose his job, we will be fine. It's all about no debt or low debt. If a job is lost when the debt is high and you can't make those bill payments, there ya go down the big black hole spiral to BK if you cannot find another good paying position to make up for the lost one....

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Job is pretty secure as most govt jobs are........ people have to have water!!!
                  We have done some tightening of the belts regarding purchasing items, but no one has lost their job due to economy.
                  Would hate to be working in retail or commercial sales right now. A touch a go situation there........ New car sales are way down, and just everyday spending as decreased.
                  Hopefully I picked the "right job" to stick around a retire from here in the near future........
                  Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnymouth View Post
                    Job is pretty secure as most govt jobs are........ people have to have water!!!
                    We have done some tightening of the belts regarding purchasing items, but no one has lost their job due to economy.
                    Would hate to be working in retail or commercial sales right now. A touch a go situation there........ New car sales are way down, and just everyday spending as decreased.
                    Hopefully I picked the "right job" to stick around a retire from here in the near future........
                    My dad has a friend that is in the water filtration business and they have so much work they don't know what to do with it. I guess some things people can't go without!

Comment

I am a stay at home mom and hubby works in car sales. Sales have taken a nose-dive! He works strictly off commission. Not good right now. His paycheck is not even a third of what it was just a few months ago.

Comment

My wife and I have a home daycare. People gonna keep having kids, people have to/like to go back to work, gotta stick em somewhere! We tweaked our rates a little to adjust for the slagging economy, but no shortage of business around here.

Comment

there is no sure thing anymore. I thought the government job would be secure but who knows.
                          [links deleted by moderator]

Comment

I quit my job four weeks ago to run my business, which is doing very well.

I definitely would not have been able to do this if I had not filed and learned from my mistakes. I can easily meet expenses, have no debt, and am so happy I can hardly stand it.

I do think I would have been secure in my job as far as being one of the last to be laid off, however I would not be surprised if the whole department gets outsourced to a third party vendor. It involved field work, so couldn't be outsourced out of the country, or even out of state, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't vendors bidding to undercut as we speak.

So glad to be out.

ep
                            California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by woeisme View Post
                              I have tenure, so unless the college I work at undergoes a financial collapse, I don't have job security worries. Our college President and financial officers are very conservative (true meaning of the word, not political meaning) so have been very careful about debt, over-extending the school's resources, etc. We took very minimal endowment draws back when the economy was good, so our operating budget isn't really impacted by changes in the stock market the way some of our peer institutions are, and we have zero debt, so I don't forsee major belt-tightening since we've always been a frugal institution to start with. Now if our # of students start decreasing significantly, that could be a problem since tuition is a major part of our operating budget, but in a worsening economy with job losses increasing, we seem to be having as many new students enroll to improve their marketable skills as we have those that have to leave because they can no longer get enough loans to pay for it. But our raises might get smaller and benefits cut if this recession lasts too long I fear.

Political meaning. That's funny. Whenever I think of just what a "Compassionate conservative" Bush is, my stomach makes gurgling noises and you can figure out what happens next.
                              The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X