top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think you will lose your job because of the economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
    Just learned that due to economy/budget issues, my job might go to part-time next summer..."might" is a very strong adj. today... it "might" just be a heads up?
    These are scary times. There basically isn't any job security anymore. Hang in there, but plan for the "might"... just in case.
    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Luckily DH has good job security with the govt, but I've already had to leave one career and train for another. The first half of this year I was working 3 jobs (about 60 hrs/wk combined) trying to make ends meet, but they fell out one by one.
      BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
        These are scary times. There basically isn't any job security anymore. Hang in there, but plan for the "might"... just in case.

I can type 80 wpm so first thing I'd do is go register with Kelly Services as a temp....
        Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
        Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

I'm a parts guy at a domestic auto dealer...in Michigan. A while ago, when the economy wasn't quite as bad, I heard corporate wanted to get all of their brands under one roof instead of the many single line dealers that exist. That would have led to some dealerships closing. I think this may still be the plan. Then, the buzz was one of the big three was looking to buy us, which would quite possibly lead to many jobs lost as plants and dealerships closed.
          The dealership I work with has been around for a long, long time. They have a great customer base, and are still selling cars and servicing them. I haven't seen any major cutbacks at my workplace, but I am more concerned about the big picture.
          I have had the "any day now" feeling for the last 5 months.
          Filed Chapter 7 4/29/08
          341 Survived 5/27/08
          Discharged 8/19/08
          Case Closed 9/08/08

Comment

well because i am working in small company.

generally, crisis affects first very big giants.
            for small companies there are large number of small clients.
            there is wide spectrum of small number of clients.
            that's why in crisis small companies are running.
            what do you think?

Comment

Was Layed off in August and called back in september but the company I work for is on the ropes!
              We sell building products and a I drive a truck for them so with a bad housing market our sales have plummeted and the recent gas situation hurt even more! Major layoffs and such I beleive it's just a matter of time now....hoping we can hang in a few more months but doesnt look good!

Comment

Still not really worried but....................................

My hospital was bought by another company last year. At first, they were going to sell us back to the nonprofit corporation that had made the decison to sell 49% 12 yrs ago. They were all unable to negotiate certain things, so the sale fell through. New company has decided we don't make enough profit and must cut somewhere. According to their stats, we are 6 over in my department. Trying to keep from laying any of us off, they have been calling people off on slower days. I work cvor. We have been very slow for the last month. We feel like we are being given the brunt of the call offs, but I talked to several in the general or yesterday that had as pitiful a number of hours as I did. I have 47 out of a possible 80 for my next paycheck. Thank God we are done with the bk or my paycheck would be even more pitiful, to the point of being almost nonexistent next week. However, I am not in as bad a shape as my coworkers. Most of them have not only car payments, but cc payments as well. We will be ok, but have already started to again vastly limit our eating out and other luxury expenditures.
                Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
                Plan approved- 7/11/05
                Date discharged--10-12-2007
                Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Originally posted by arkienurse View Post
                  Still not really worried but....................................

My hospital was bought by another company last year. At first, they were going to sell us back to the nonprofit corporation that had made the decison to sell 49% 12 yrs ago. They were all unable to negotiate certain things, so the sale fell through. New company has decided we don't make enough profit and must cut somewhere. According to their stats, we are 6 over in my department. Trying to keep from laying any of us off, they have been calling people off on slower days. I work cvor. We have been very slow for the last month. We feel like we are being given the brunt of the call offs, but I talked to several in the general or yesterday that had as pitiful a number of hours as I did. I have 47 out of a possible 80 for my next paycheck. Thank God we are done with the bk or my paycheck would be even more pitiful, to the point of being almost nonexistent next week. However, I am not in as bad a shape as my coworkers. Most of them have not only car payments, but cc payments as well. We will be ok, but have already started to again vastly limit our eating out and other luxury expenditures.
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Been working on stocking up, slowly, over the past few months. sucks to not be able to get your surgery yet. And although I am young and haven't much in my retirement yet, it is currently down 36% and has been as high as 40% down.
                    Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
                    Plan approved- 7/11/05
                    Date discharged--10-12-2007
                    Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Well, my story was I worked for a TV maker (Pana*****) which let me go, was over 46, so retraining might have been viable, but doubtful. Who'd hire a 47 year old newbie pharmacy tech?

Worked for three companys for 2 years, last one was a engine/parts remanufacturer (The Hummer has a 5 cylinder engine,,,weird!) and left them just as GM was demanding better inspections then before (Thank goodness I bailed) I was there.

Now work at a company which:

Was informed 1 month ago, major buyer (Truck Interiors) was moving to Mexico in 2010. (\sarcasm Thanks Nafta! /sarcasm)

Several parts we made then shipped to Mexico, was being moved to SC as the parts we buy to make the parts we ship, comes from a company 20 miles north of SC branch of our company. So they get the business, we get the shaft.

Has gone heavy into mold forming (Similar to mold injection, but more work intense as you are holding the equipment which injects the liquids and man, you let go too early, you'd better have a spare set of clothes handy) so we're hanging on so far...

Maybe if I get laid off, there might be a chance to be a pharmacy Tech newbie at 50 or so?

Comment

I just got one of those "warning" letters from my company. You know, the kind that tell you about improvements that are necessary? I think it's call the "heads up" you're on the way out letter which lets you know nicely, that your time is up.

I've already heard that my job was to go part-time this summer. Unfortunately it doesn't work the same way with my bills. Hmmm???? Maybe I should try that one out with my landlord?

So, being that I have a bit of a time frame to deal with, time to start the process of the search for new employment. Been hearing that it's always good to look for a job while you're still employed....?

Anyhow, unfortunately, there seems to be NO JOB SECURITY whatsoever...???
                        Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,

Comment

Do you mean improvements you need to make in terms of work performance, or improvements/changes that the company needs to make in order to remain in operation? This economy has had a negative affect on businesses in every industry.
                          The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
                            Do you mean improvements you need to make in terms of work performance, or improvements/changes that the company needs to make in order to remain in operation? This economy has had a negative affect on businesses in every industry.
                            Work performance improvements. I know everybody gets a bit lax/forgetful on somethings but to me, this was DOCUMENTATION that could be used in the future...

If I leave, they will replace me with someone at half my pay, that's what I'm feeling...and they will get HALF the quality!

Economy's negativity is going nowhere fast....I hate to see the layoffs that are going to be stated between now & the end of the year and the resulting termoil.

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
                              Work performance improvements. I know everybody gets a bit lax/forgetful on somethings but to me, this was DOCUMENTATION that could be used in the future...

If I leave, they will replace me with someone at half my pay, that's what I'm feeling...and they will get HALF the quality!

Economy's negativity is going nowhere fast....I hate to see the layoffs that are going to be stated between now & the end of the year and the resulting termoil.
                              If the letter was addressed to you personally and talked about work performance improvements *you* need to make (and I'm assuming you feel that your performance has been at least satisfactory), then I agree that this is an early step the company is taking to legally get rid of you and/or your position. Even in a right-to-work state such as Florida companies need to document their steps leading to the termination of an employee.

I feel for you. And in your shoes, I would be looking for another position right now. The job market throughout Florida is the pits, but you want to try and use this "warning" period to explore every potential job prospect. As to whether or not it's better to still be employed while applying elsewhere, I think the current economy is so dire that that old rule doesn't even apply anymore.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
                              BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
                                If the letter was addressed to you personally and talked about work performance improvements *you* need to make (and I'm assuming you feel that your performance has been at least satisfactory), then I agree that this is an early step the company is taking to legally get rid of you and/or your position. Even in a right-to-work state such as Florida companies need to document their steps leading to the termination of an employee.

You are exactly right on in the above statement. I felt that of the issues brought up, only one of them was actually viable. I did give a reply to the letter in respect to each of the issues that will go into my file to accompany that letter.

I feel for you. And in your shoes, I would be looking for another position right now. The job market throughout Florida is the pits, but you want to try and use this "warning" period to explore every potential job prospect. As to whether or not it's better to still be employed while applying elsewhere, I think the current economy is so dire that that old rule doesn't even apply anymore.
                                Thank you for the empathy! I will use my time wisely in a new job search!

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
                                Next question, would it be alright to look online, during my work breaks or go to the library and use their computer?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X