Unemployment $$ Issued on CITI Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment $$ Issued on CITI Card

My unemployment check is issued to a CITI card. I have been transferring the money to my bank acct as soon as it is issued. I owe CITI a bunch of money. Can they take my unemployment pay before I transfer it off the card?

Can they touch this money? I am being sued by CITI on the 25th of this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas View Post
      My unemployment check is issued to a CITI card. I have been transferring the money to my bank acct as soon as it is issued. I owe CITI a bunch of money. Can they take my unemployment pay before I transfer it off the card?
      Is this CITI card a credit card?

If yes, why are you continuing this deposit set-up with a creditor who is taking you to court in a few days? Why did you not switch your unemployment to deposit directly into your personal bank account instead?

Given just what you've told us here, if the card is a charge card, you owe any debt on that card, and you haven't filed yet....then yes, CITI probably could take your unemployment money to pay the debt before you can get the cash transferred out. If you switch this deposit set-up around immediately, you won't have to worry about it any more.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Indeed, they can clean it out.

You could get it back, but that would require filing a motion and getting a hearing, probably needing an attorney. You would probably win, but why take the chance?

Have it redirected to another account, or even another card, if ou have one you are not in arrears with.

While unemployment IS exempt, you are rolling some gigantic dice by letting that money fund this CITI card.
        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

The state of Kansas pays its unemployment payments to a CITI Debit card or you can have it deposited directly to a bank account.. I am afraid to have the money deposited directly to a bank account. Then my creditors could garnish my bank account.

Comment

It's a debit card not a credit card. They should not be able to touch it. Several states are moving towards this type of system. Several states issue child support payments the same way and the credit companies would not be able to touch it. Does the card have a PIN?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X