Documenting unemployment income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documenting unemployment income

We are getting all of our paperwork around for the attorney. He told us to provide the last 6 months of paystubs. During that time my husband received 4 direct deposits from his unemployment. He never got any kind of pay stub or documentation with them. He can look at his account online, but the only thing he can get documentation for is the last deposit, or what he got all year (which includes several payments outside of the 6 month look back). We do have bank statements showing these direct deposits, does that help?
    I am hoping to turn all of this in ASAP so we can schedule our appt. to get our case together. I think his office is closed tomorrow, so I just wanted to ask if anyone had any idea what documentation to provide for unemployment income?

Bank statements showing the deposits is what you will give your Atty.

Good luck
    Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

Yes, give your attorney copies of your checking/savings accounts into which the Unemployment Benefits are deposited. Take a yellow highlighter and highlight them.

Our attorney was very annoyed with me when I told her that I had no 'pay advices' or statements other than a generalized online form showing only the last payout.

There were no account numbers, or anything of that sort, which is what she was looking for. At which point, I told her, "this is the way it is." She made do with the bank statements.
      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 02-20-2011, 10:19 PM.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
        We are getting all of our paperwork around for the attorney. He told us to provide the last 6 months of paystubs. During that time my husband received 4 direct deposits from his unemployment. He never got any kind of pay stub or documentation with them. He can look at his account online, but the only thing he can get documentation for is the last deposit, or what he got all year (which includes several payments outside of the 6 month look back). We do have bank statements showing these direct deposits, does that help?
        I am hoping to turn all of this in ASAP so we can schedule our appt. to get our case together. I think his office is closed tomorrow, so I just wanted to ask if anyone had any idea what documentation to provide for unemployment income?
        i'm with hub....we ONLY had direct deposit and absolutely not a ONE pay stub...from unemployment and our pensions...

i do want to mention to you...make certain you are taking out taxes on your unemployment insurance...we took out the max allowable, however, still owe the irs this year 5k....because of that unemployment insurance....so be careful and mindful of that...

best of luck...you bank statements are perfect.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thank you all so much! Luckily it was only 4 deposits I was looking for and I have found all the bank statements that contain those and highlighted them. Isn't that kind of weird that they don't give any statements or anything for this? I'd say I'd expect a statement since it's government related, but then again maybe not ;)
          We did take taxes out of the unemployment- thankfully! My husband also worked a lot of temp jobs last year and b/c they were temp jobs they didn't take out much in federal or state taxes and so we are getting much less of a federal refund than we have in previous years, and we owe to the state. But I guess at least it's a refund and can help fund our bk!

Comment

I am also on unemployment, but I did receive pay stubs for it. However, I threw them away prior to considering bankruptcy so I just had to give my lawyer our online bank statements with the deposits highlighted. Since I didnt have the paystubs, he wanted a full year of bank records, whereas if I had them, he would have only wanted 6 months worth. He didn't seem to mind really since the deposits were always the exact same amount and exactly every 2 weeks. They were also always labeled/titled the same on my bank records.

Comment

That's the way is was for me with my disability statements. Since those are directly deposited, SS didn't send me monthly 'pay' statements - only the 1099 at the end of the year. The attorney in my case didn't even give that a second thought when I told her about that - she just said "that's fine - I'll just need the bank statements showing the direct deposits."
              Filed: 6/30/2010
              341: 7/26/2010
              Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
                Thank you all so much! Luckily it was only 4 deposits I was looking for and I have found all the bank statements that contain those and highlighted them. Isn't that kind of weird that they don't give any statements or anything for this? I'd say I'd expect a statement since it's government related, but then again maybe not ;)
                We did take taxes out of the unemployment- thankfully! My husband also worked a lot of temp jobs last year and b/c they were temp jobs they didn't take out much in federal or state taxes and so we are getting much less of a federal refund than we have in previous years, and we owe to the state. But I guess at least it's a refund and can help fund our bk!

oh...yes...two weeks ago we did receive the 1099 from unemployment from the state we are drawing on....you should be able to call them...and or get if off line...if you need it for tax reasons...

also the state we collect from sends a copy of each payment via mail even tho we have auto deposit. so maybe it varies state by state??
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It must be state by state. Until recently I had unemployment direct deposit, I've since switched to a debit card, which is connected to a bank UI enlisted for this. But, I was able to pull a list of payments made throughout the year on the unemployment website. I had kept all my bank statements which showed the direct deposts so that is easy to verify. (Sometimes it pays to be anal!)

Comment

In Illinois, unemployment dept. stopped sending out paper statements of any kind several months ago. I believe they also stopped sending paper checks - people need to use direct deposit or the state's debit card system for their benefits. But we can print out benefit information/payments from the IL unemployment web site.
                    Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                    New Job 7-2011

Comment

Ugh, we have not had taxes taken out of our UI, I will be buying turbotax on feb 28th pay day and I hope we do not owe money, because the well is dry

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                      i'm with hub....we ONLY had direct deposit and absolutely not a ONE pay stub...from unemployment and our pensions...

i do want to mention to you...make certain you are taking out taxes on your unemployment insurance...we took out the max allowable, however, still owe the irs this year 5k....because of that unemployment insurance....so be careful and mindful of that...

best of luck...you bank statements are perfect.
                      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

With mine I had taxes taken out and will get a small refund from both Fed and State, which is kinda wierd because last year I had to pay state. But I will take whatever they give me. I am so thankful I had them taken out.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X