top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Did You Do after Your Bankruptcy was Closed and Discharged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Did You Do after Your Bankruptcy was Closed and Discharged?

Wouldn,t it be nice if there was a book on what to do after the bankruptcy is closed and discharged. Wouldn,t it be nice if there were step by step instructions on how to get a new car and who to get it from? Wouldn,t it be nice if there were instructions on how to buy another home and who to buy it from or how to rent an apartment after filing bankruptcy. Wouldn,t it be nice. But there are many questions like this asked everyday, yet there has never been a specific location to go to and get answers. Maybe we can give our viewers some help. Does anybody have any answers to contribute?

The problem is that everyone has a different scenerio and what works for one person may not work for the other. Some people come out of BK being able to get immediate credit and some cannot get credit for years. Also many things depend on where you live, your previous credit, what kind of BK you filed, etc., etc. Good idea but maybe it should be a listing of suggestions as to what might work if one tries it.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

For me a new car was the last thing I needed. What I wanted was to get my FICO scores up and cut my insurance costs.
      So I opened a securied CC from First National Bank of Ohama which cost $20 per year and they report to all three CRAs. In a few months HSBC offered me a CC with a $5000 limit and no annual fee. Then came Juniper for a similar card with a $2000 limit.
      My next step was to cancel the FNB of Omaha card and get my $500 secuity deposit back.
      My scores are about 675 and annual insurance cost is back down to normal.
      regards,
      emoney

Comment

Check out the After Discharge section of these forums:

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

emoney - are my insurance rates going to go up after I get discharged? Car insurance? Homeowners insurance? Do they all go up?
          Filed C7: 3/21/08
          341 Meeting: 4/23/08
          Objections to discharge due: 6/23/08
          Discharged 6/30/08

Comment

I only marginally needed a car anyway. I looked at my actual use, and felt I could save more money if I used a bus. This will not help everyone, obviously, but I felt that going without a car while I saved enough for a decent beater was right for me. I am now catching up on my house payments, so I will continue to live in the same place. To work on my credit, I will get a reasonable credit card and use it occasionaly, but I will not get caught in the trap of buying a car with financing through a dealer. I'm also going to college, my student loan payments after I graduate should count for something on my credit report.

I guess the main secret it just take it slow. Don't expect things to be exactly like they were before. Change your behavior to fit your *new* reality.
            Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by One Half Full View Post
              I guess the main secret it just take it slow. Don't expect things to be exactly like they were before. Change your behavior to fit your *new* reality.
              The fact is, we should NOT hope for things to be the way they were before...........that's why we got where we are.
              You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X