'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure

LAKE CITY, Ga. - More than 1,800 people showed up to help ABC's "Extreme Makeover" team demolish a family's decrepit home and replace it with a sparkling, four-bedroom mini-mansion in 2005.

Three years later, the reality TV show's most ambitious project at the time has become the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis.

After the Harper family used the two-story home as collateral for a $450,000 loan, it's set to go to auction on the steps of the Clayton County Courthouse Aug. 5. The couple did not return phone calls Monday, but told WSB-TV they received the loan for a construction business that failed.

The house was built in January 2005, after Atlanta-based Beazer Homes USA and ABC's "Extreme Makeover" demolished their old home and its faulty septic system. Within six days, construction crews and hoards of volunteers had completed work on the largest home that the television program had yet built.

The finished product was a four-bedroom house with decorative rock walls and a three-car garage that towered over ranch and split-level homes in their Clayton County neighborhood. The home's door opened into a lobby that featured four fireplaces, a solarium, a music room and a plush new office.

Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.

ABC said in a statement that it advises each family to consult a financial planner after they get their new home. "Ultimately, financial matters are personal, and we work to respect the privacy of the families," the network said.

Some of the volunteers who helped build the home were less than thrilled about the family's financial decisions.

"It's aggravating. It just makes you mad. You do that much work, and they just squander it," Lake City Mayor Willie Oswalt, who helped vault a massive beam into place in the Harper's living room, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Mon Jul 28, 2:32 PM ET

Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com
    The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

What a bummer.

When we had money, and we were negotiating with the State as to put our farm into a Wildlife easement and Park (266 Acres) we reserved a life estate. Since the State cannot take a gift outright, we were given a penny on the dollar, but that was not our doing as we simply wanted to preserve the land from future “improvements”. It is a farm that has been in the family since 1860 on the St. Johns River. When I told the lawyers that the house would be paid off, they said “Oh you can use your house as collateral as it is still yours till your death” I said what? Write that out of the Deed, I don’t EVER want to be able to collateralize any of this property. I put the stipend into a Charitable Remainder Unitrust that is irrevocable. Not knowing what the future would bring, it is the wisest thing I ever did considering my adversary who has helped me into this hole, cannot get any of my property as nothing is in our names but the Trust.

Never borrow against your house. My opinion. ‘Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Now that makes me "ILL"...................

Evidently these folks DIDN'T APPRECIATE what was done for them.

A $450,000 home (which most of us could NEVER AFFORD), college educations for their kids, and a home maintenance fund of $250,000 and they have SQUANDERED IT ALL................. in about 3 years.............

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

I love that river. I spent quite a bit of time on it in one year between Jacksonville & Ponte Vedra. One of the few places left in florida that I really have fond memories of as it has been preserved in a special way. Oh but that stinky swamp gas smell takes a long time to get used to.

Originally posted by Minnymouth View Post

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID
        they will be here posting soon about how stupid they were- LOL!

Comment

There is another Extreme Makeover house in Maine that was sold because the people could not afford the taxes on the new home.
          The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

A $450,000 home (which most of us could NEVER AFFORD), college educations for their kids, and a home maintenance fund of $250,000 and they have SQUANDERED IT ALL................. in about 3 years.............

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID
            Don't forget about all the mega-buck lottery and powerball winners that squander their winnings. Here is a link to an article about some of the 'winners'....

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I always wondered about the homes and the people that get them. Most of the people are low income, so how do they expect them to pay taxes on the house. And I do think the homes are way over the top.

A 450k house in GA is a nice house. A 450k house here wouldn't be so nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post

they will be here posting soon about how stupid they were- LOL!
                LOL Thats cold Bandit!!
                "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788

Comment

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID
                  I totally agree!

I dream of someone coming along and saving us from this mess our lives have become. To think these people had that golden opportunity we all dream of and they blew it big time does make me sick.

I have no pity on someone who is given free help and doesn't appreciate it anymore then these people did. Do you think Extreme Makeover will come in and save these people again? I sure hope not.
                  Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post

I have no pity on someone who is given free help and doesn't appreciate it anymore then these people did. Do you think Extreme Makeover will come in and save these people again? I sure hope not.

If they save these people again they should rename the show. "extreme bendover" yyeeooooow!!!!
                    "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
                      There is another Extreme Makeover house in Maine that was sold because the people could not afford the taxes on the new home.

Now that's sad. Taxes causing someone to lose there home is simply criminal. That's happening here in the state I live in to people who have lived in there homes for many years. The state is taxing people right out of their homes!
                      Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by bmrigs View Post
                        If they save these people again they should rename the show. "extreme bendover" yyeeooooow!!!!
                        I see a idea for a new reality show!! Hey maybe one of us could forward this idea and we could reep the benefits and get out of debt!! What a great idea!!

Comment

This makes me sick! What a couple of morons. I would have to say that if I/we ever received a wonderful gift like this, I would lock away the deed and forget I ever possessed it. Extreme Makeover is one of those heart-filled, inspirational shows that would make any of us wish that there were more people out there that would do such a kindness, but then we hear about something like this? It's disgusting.
                          Last edited by BassBoy; 07-29-2008, 12:10 PM.
                          Bankruptcy History:
                          Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
                          Discharged - 02/16/2006
                          Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Easy Come, Easy Go!!... (All Lottery winers are like that too)

Comment

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post
                              I see a idea for a new reality show!! Hey maybe one of us could forward this idea and we could reep the benefits and get out of debt!! What a great idea!!
                              Exactly. We call it Extreme Bendover but its about how the goverment screws us over with runaway inflation, over-taxation, and Social Security that we pay into but wont be there when we need it. You think they will give us a pilot series at least.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X