Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough choices for states during budget crisis

As economy slides and housing woes deepen, they can't pay bills

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is laying off as many as 22,000 state employees. New York's governor is raising the possibility of selling — or more accurately, leasing — the Brooklyn Bridge. Nevada is burning through its rainy-day fund like a gambler on a losing streak. And Maryland is pinning its hopes on slot machines.

With the economy in a slide and the housing market in crisis, states are collectively rolling up tens of billions of dollars in budget deficits in one of the worst financial crunches in the U.S. since the 1970s.

The startlingly rapid drop-off in tax revenue is forcing many states to make some hard decisions: Raise taxes? Cut programs and jobs? Dip into reserves? Borrow money? Lease or sell state assets?

"They're all terrible choices," Nevada Assembly Speaker Barbara Buckley said of the cuts her state made in a special session last month. "I believe we should never have to make these kinds of choices ever again."

Red ink to get deeper

Worse, economists say the red ink is only going to get deeper later in the fiscal year when 2008 tax returns start coming in.

"The big question is when will states hit the bottom? We don't know," said Arturo Perez, a fiscal analyst with the National Conference of State Legislatures in Colorado.

As of June, more than 30 states faced deficits totaling a projected $40 billion, or more than triple the gap of the previous year, according to the NCSL.

California, which still does not have a budget for the fiscal year that began July 1, is looking at a $15.2 billion deficit, an amount that dwarfs that of all other states. The next highest at the start of the fiscal year was New York's, at $5.2 billion.

California lawmakers are at odds over how to deal with the problem. The Democrats are proposing a combination of spending cuts and $8.2 billion in higher taxes. The Republicans oppose any new taxes but haven't come up with the spending cuts to close the gap.

In addition to eliminating up to 22,000 part-time and temporary jobs Thursday, Schwarzenegger imposed a hiring freeze and ordered that as many as 200,000 state workers receive the federal minimum wage of $6.55 an hour until a budget is passed — a move that is certain to be challenged in court, even though the employees will get their back pay eventually.

"I will not be able to pay my rent, buy food or put gas in my car to transport my children," said Roz Myers, a receptionist for a state agency who protested in front of the Capitol this week over the plan.

Among those facing the loss of their jobs are retired state employees who work under contract, temporary and part-time workers such as those who fill in at the Department of Motor Vehicles, seasonal employees and student assistants.

"Today I am exercising my executive authority to avoid a full-blown crisis and keep our state moving forward," Schwarzenegger said. "This is not an action I take lightly."

States using cost-saving strategies

Most states so far have avoided the kind of tax increases California is considering. Instead, they have opted to cut state spending, tap their rainy-day funds or launch big — and risky — borrowing programs.

Among the hardest hit are states coping with the fallout from the mortgage crisis: Nevada faced a deficit that was 21 percent of its overall budget, with Arizona at 19 percent and California at 15 percent. Alabama, Maryland and Rhode Island were close behind, with deficits ranging from 12 percent to 14 percent of their overall spending plans.

New York Gov. David Paterson is summoning lawmakers into an emergency session in mid-August to deal with a "mammoth collapse in revenue," including a 97 percent drop in banking taxes from a year ago. He ordered a hiring freeze and called for a $1.23 billion cut in state spending that could affect such things as colleges and hospitals. He has also proposed leasing state roads, bridges and tunnels as well as the lottery to outside companies.

Nevada Gov. Jim Gibbons has refused to raise taxes and instead signed a budget that withdrew $267 million from the state's rainy-day fund, or most of the reserve. He also slashed agency budgets and delayed construction projects to help cover a $1.2 billion shortfall in the $6.8 billion budget.

Minnesota used nearly half its rainy-day fund this year, or $500 million, and Massachusetts tapped its fund for $310 million.

Arizona legislators narrowly agreed to a spending plan in time to avoid a partial shutdown of state government. The plan closes a $2 billion gap through a combination of spending cuts, borrowing, the taking of money from special-purpose funds, and the deferral of some spending until the next fiscal year.

Voters to weigh in on slot machines

Maryland voters will be asked in November to legalize slot machines to help generate hundreds of millions of dollars in the next few years. That would be on top of a 1 percent increase in the sales tax, a restructuring of the income tax system and $500 million in cuts.

Similarly, Schwarzenegger has proposed that the state borrow against the next three years of lottery earnings, while several states want to turn some of the installment payments they will receive under the settlement with Big Tobacco into a lump sum they can use now.

Nine states have imposed hiring freezes, according to the NCSL.

Legislators in Tennessee are hoping as many as 2,200 state employees accept voluntary buyout offers by next week, or the state will face layoffs. About 1,600 have accepted the buyout so far, Gov. Phil Bredesen said this week. The state also made cuts to higher education, pre-kindergarten and environmental programs.

A few states have been spared the tough choices this year, mostly those that rely on natural resources for much of their revenue. Rising prices for oil and gas in places like North Dakota and Alaska and booming demand for corn in the Midwest have led to surpluses in some states.

Economists are warning of further revenue losses in the months ahead that could force lawmakers in many states to reopen their budgets and make midyear cuts.

Don Boyd, a public policy researcher with the Rockefeller Institute of Government in New York, said states will face the second wave of lost revenue next year when residents and businesses file tax returns reflecting their heavy losses on the stock market.

"You should expect significant proposals from governors, certainly for spending cuts, probably for more tax increases and certainly for more gimmicks," he said. "And I'm sure you'll see hiring freezes and layoffs."

Calif. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger sets down the pen after signing an executive order eliminating 22,000 part-time and temporary positions and ordering 200,000 state workers receive the federal minimum wage.

The Associated Press
    updated 6:48 p.m. ET, Thurs., July. 31, 2008

And there were massive demonstrations in front of the state capitol in Sacramento, with signs like "Hey Arnold, go back playing Kindergarten Cop #2".
    Which, by the way, and maybe also "Twins", were his "best" movies.

Comment

Sad, sad, sad....
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

It is mostly our fault as citizens. We have demanded to much of our government. They cannot maintain all the programs that have been passed or demanded at the current tax rates, to maintain them taxes will have to become much higher than they are today. Personally I'd rather see budget cuts, elimination of programs, and a cut back on government in everyday life.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Its a shame the middle class is disappearing... Its amazing to me how I can bust my ass working 12-14 hours a day and make $50k and there are people playing baseballl making millions a year. There is something wrong with this.

Whats more amazing that CEO's of companies are making millions while the companies are going bankrupt. AIG CEO worked there for 3 months and is walking away with around 7 million.

Comment

Originally posted by ansky0007 View Post
            Whats more amazing that CEO's of companies are making millions while the companies are going bankrupt. AIG CEO worked there for 3 months and is walking away with around 7 million.
            The greatest golden parachute of all time... Michael Ovitz... $140 million after working 7-11 months as the head of Disney. Yup, he was fired, and got a $140 million dollar golden parachute.

SMART companies, these days, are attaching so many conditions to these bonus packages. I know that my company has so many conditions for us to get bonuses now, it's like I took at 20% pay cut, because we'll never realize the "model" company they want us to be!

The problem with CEO salaries isn't the money. They actually don't get cash, they get stock. Therein lies the problem. The CEO will prop up the stock so that when he exercises his performance options... s/he gets paid. Even though my company's stock is up 100% in the last 3 years (and trades over $120/share), I get a pitiful bonus of 2%... when they promise 21% in a good year. Yet the CEO gets a really good bonus (worth some number times his salary).

But I'm not complaining. I have an above average salary (and really above for where I live)... It's a good think to be employed these days.
            Last edited by justbroke; 09-18-2008, 04:42 PM.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

History always repeats itself, and if you look at Medieval times there were the extreme poor and the extremly wealthy. There wasn't really any middle class and it will be that way again at some point....
              "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
              Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
              341 Hearing March 4th 2010
              Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                It is mostly our fault as citizens. We have demanded to much of our government. They cannot maintain all the programs that have been passed or demanded at the current tax rates, to maintain them taxes will have to become much higher than they are today. Personally I'd rather see budget cuts, elimination of programs, and a cut back on government in everyday life.
                I agree scott! Once again we all did it to ourselves by demanding too many entitlements.

Please cut away...Let small businesses have a break since most jobs are created from them.

I don't agree with the selling of roads and bridges. Never understood that one and it's being done more and more.
                The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Its a shame the middle class is disappearing... Its amazing to me how I can bust my ass working 12-14 hours a day and make $50k and there are people playing baseballl making millions a year. There is something wrong with this.

Trust me I'm with you working 13 hour days but baseball players have little to do with this. If you or I had a skill that people would pay anything to watch I'm sure you would keep the money. I never paid a dime for sports tickets. I usually get them for free because that's all they are worth to me but a lot of people pay several thousand for season tickets.

CEO's are a different breed. They are the one bunch that gets paid well to fail. I don't understand how so many directors and shareholders tolerate them but they do. A lot of them are such creeps.
                  The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                    CEO's are a different breed. They are the one bunch that gets paid well to fail. I don't understand how so many directors and shareholders tolerate them but they do. A lot of them are such creeps.
                    Exactly the problem. We have a "Las Vegas" mentality now. Let it all ride on the big wheel of fortune... whether that's the Market or Real Estate Speculation.

CEOs get paid to create "shareholder" value. So long as the stocks are going up... shareholders couldn't care any less about revenue issues with the company! So long as they buy low and sell high. Same as the Real Estate boom.

Everything has been propped up by years of Government trying to tweak the economy, to make it red hot. It's the blame of all politicians no matter what side of the aisle they sit on. For them to now, in this election, declare that there needs to be Change in Washington... is pure hypocrisy!!

I further blame the municipalities and States for not just "saving" the money (windfall) from the Real Estate boom -- and Market boom. Sure, fix up some roads and do some more things... but planning is essential.

Florida, perfect example. It had so much money in the early 2000s that it created this new mandatory class size of 18:1. Now they can't afford the new class size requirements (which are Constitutional). They can't even afford the fuel for buses.

The run-up is not just Wall-Street's fault. It was a combined hysteria driven by greed. Yes. I was greedy too!!! I admit it!

The so-called "credit crunch" was caused by greed and an economy that was built on lies. I actually predicted a housing bubble and it bursting in 2005... but I was blaming it on the Adjustable Rate Mortgage and how there were thousands of people who wouldn't be able to afford their home in 2005, 2006.

(Okay, I'll shut up now. It's a sore subject with me.)
                    Last edited by justbroke; 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Our economy is a lie. It has been for the last 3 decades.

They changed how the government reported things in the 70s that made things look better than they are.

Our money in 1971 went completely away from any standard. It is not based on anything. (I know it wasn't worth much then but it was still partially backed by gold until 1971).

The problem is the government has grossly mislead the people.

We have about 9 trillion in government debt right now, about half of which is internal debt that the agencies cannot and will not ever be able to repay the other agencies.

We have about 53 trillion in unfunded entitlement obligations within the next 30 years.

The average American household has no savings, this is both lower income and middle income. They are overleveraged for the most part, owing more than they can reasonably pay. That's why we see so many folks coming here, and so many more will come.

The same is true of many American businesses. To many have been run as hour households. They do not have the savings they need to ride out the hard times ahead. They are overleveraged and cannot really meet their obligations. Many more will fail in the coming times.

Finally our Government is the worst. They are the ones that have lead the nation here. They have sought not to save for bad times but to spend all they could to get a short term return in reelection. They have not looked to the future, but only to the present. They have sought power for powers sake. They simply are overleveraged to a degree that a total economic collapse will occur within the next 2 decades. It is possible someone could steer the ship right again, but it has to be someone who is more interested in saving America, than saving their political career. They will be immensely unpopular and most like a single term president. A generation from now though they would be heralded as a savior of the nation. The truth can set the nation free, but the government has hid the truth for so very long. Polls show that most Americans are willing to make the hard choices, even giving up entitlement programs and making sacrifices if it was necessary, it is necessary but the government still is in denial. They are like an addict who is perhaps just waking up to the fact he has a problem, but has not yet realized that he can't beat it on his own. I do not believe Sen. Obama or Sen. McCain will bring the change we need. We need a Washington, a Jefferson, a Jackson or a Lincoln and neither of the major political candidates and possibly all candidates this year can we find in the mold of those great men, who were statesmen first, and politicians second.
                      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                        Our economy is a lie. It has been for the last 3 decades.

They changed how the government reported things in the 70s that made things look better than they are.

Our money in 1971 went completely away from any standard. It is not based on anything. (I know it wasn't worth much then but it was still partially backed by gold until 1971).

The problem is the government has grossly mislead the people.

We have about 9 trillion in government debt right now, about half of which is internal debt that the agencies cannot and will not ever be able to repay the other agencies.

We have about 53 trillion in unfunded entitlement obligations within the next 30 years.

The average American household has no savings, this is both lower income and middle income. They are overleveraged for the most part, owing more than they can reasonably pay. That's why we see so many folks coming here, and so many more will come.

The same is true of many American businesses. To many have been run as hour households. They do not have the savings they need to ride out the hard times ahead. They are overleveraged and cannot really meet their obligations. Many more will fail in the coming times.

Finally our Government is the worst. They are the ones that have lead the nation here. They have sought not to save for bad times but to spend all they could to get a short term return in reelection. They have not looked to the future, but only to the present. They have sought power for powers sake. They simply are overleveraged to a degree that a total economic collapse will occur within the next 2 decades. It is possible someone could steer the ship right again, but it has to be someone who is more interested in saving America, than saving their political career. They will be immensely unpopular and most like a single term president. A generation from now though they would be heralded as a savior of the nation. The truth can set the nation free, but the government has hid the truth for so very long. Polls show that most Americans are willing to make the hard choices, even giving up entitlement programs and making sacrifices if it was necessary, it is necessary but the government still is in denial. They are like an addict who is perhaps just waking up to the fact he has a problem, but has not yet realized that he can't beat it on his own. I do not believe Sen. Obama or Sen. McCain will bring the change we need. We need a Washington, a Jefferson, a Jackson or a Lincoln and neither of the major political candidates and possibly all candidates this year can we find in the mold of those great men, who were statesmen first, and politicians second.
                        JRScott- I believe you are the only person on this board that gets the crisis that our country is facing.. If we continue this course- every tax dollar that country takes in will go to either social security/medicare- (retirees). This would leave no money for national defense, education, etc..

Comment

It isn't a pro-athletes fault if you have a job that requires you to work long hours for little pay. Or is it the pro-athletes fault they get paid well. Their jobs are to entertain and make money for their organizations. And as long as they draw crowds to watch their teams play, they will continue to be paid well.

Comment

other countries have put a cap on the salaries of CEO's- the CEO can only make x of times more than the average worker's salary.. I don't see that happening any time soon here in the states.. You're correct about the middle class dissappearing.. I'm curious on what people consider "middle class"? The US median annual household income in 2007 was roughly $50,223...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X