Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Communities Consider Own Currency

Milwaukee neighborhoods could print own money

They may be talking funny money, but it's not funny business.

Residents from the Milwaukee neighborhoods of Riverwest and East Side are scheduled to meet Wednesday to discuss printing their own money. The idea is that the local cash could be used at neighborhood stores and businesses, thus encouraging local spending. The result, supporters hope, would be a bustling local economy, even as the rest of the nation deals with a recession.

"You have all these people who have local currency, and they're going to spend it at local stores," said Sura Faraj, a community organizer who is helping spearhead the plan. "They can't spend it at the Wal-Mart or the Home Depot, but they can spend it at their local hardware store or their local grocery store."

Incentives could be used to entice consumers into using the new money. For example, perhaps they could trade $100 U.S. for $110 local, essentially netting them a 10 percent discount at participating stores.

It's not a new concept—experts estimate there are at least 2,000 local currencies all over the world—but it is a practice that tends to burgeon during economic downturns. During the Great Depression, scores of communities relied on their own currencies.

And it's completely legal.

As long as communities don't create coins, or print bills that resemble federal dollars, organizations are free to produce their own greenbacks—and they'd don't even have to be green.

In Wisconsin, could that mean dough that looks like cheese?

By Erika Slife

Sounds simular to the Liberty Dollar. At first our government said the Liberty Dollar was OK, until it started to get too popular, then they concocted bogus charges to try and shut it down. I wonder how they handle taxes with the community money mentioned above. That was one of the reasons the Fed attacked the Liberty Dollar.

Comment

The idea is that the local cash could be used at neighborhood stores and businesses, thus encouraging local spending.
      You dont even need funny money. All the community has to do is go back to trading with each other & working with each other. screw the massive corporations & rich folks interest rates, the poor & middle class can survive without them & their dirty corrupt money & tax system.

You need a special part for your car? I can get it for a wholesale price & put it on for you, if you trade me a few of those good pies your wife makes from your apple trees.

I have ben thinking about the days of pilgrims & indians when they first got along with no government. It was not up until around the 40's & 50's that government started with taxing everything & everyone for every breath made. Next thing you know they are telling everyone they will be punished unless you do their health laws & pay......

The liberty dollar reminds me of that forever stamp. Until of course we ever have to start adding one cent stamps to it to make it still good.

I would not be so anti government if they knew what they were doing for the best of everyone instead of only the best for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
        I would not be so anti government if they knew what they were doing for the best of everyone instead of only the best for themselves.

I could not say it better. Now that we have become the United States of Rome, and running the lemming trail, we can eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we surely die. I have never seen such self destruction in my life. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          I could not say it better. Now that we have become the United States of Rome, and running the lemming trail, we can eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we surely die. I have never seen such self destruction in my life. 'Hub
          United States of Rome. The very thing pilgrims from europe ran from.

Comment

You know what. I'm absolutely AGAINST THIS. I am sick and tired of all these currency threads.

I mean... I just went and invested in Ameros! Now I have to buy Milwaukee Dollars???
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              You know what. I'm absolutely AGAINST THIS. I am sick and tired of all these currency threads.

I mean... I just went and invested in Ameros! Now I have to buy Milwaukee Dollars???
              this whole forum is about currency...currency that no one has

you are so funny sometimes. I always get a kick out of your investment in Ameros!

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                this whole forum is about currency...currency that no one has

you are so funny sometimes. I always get a kick out of your investment in Ameros!
                Just trying to survive!
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X