Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Island Service Process Company President Arrested for Sewer Service

April 14, 2009

Long Island Process Serving Company Owner Arrested Today for “Sewer Service”

Many consumers have been abused by the egregious fraud perpetrated by American Legal Process, a Lynbrook company used by many high-volume Long Island debt collection law firms

Yesterday I posted news about Attorney General Andrew Cuomo announcing an investigation into process servers who fail to properly serve lawsuit papers (Attorney General Investigating Process Servers for Taking Illegal Shortcuts ).

Today, Cuomo announced the arrest of the president of Long Island-based American Legal Process (William Singler) for engaging in a fraudulent business scheme in which the company allegedly failed to provide proper legal notification to thousands of New Yorkers facing debt-related lawsuits, causing them unknowingly to default and have costly judgments entered against them without the chance to respond or defend themselves.

This process serving company was apparently hired by many high-volume debt collection law firms in New York to serve collection lawsuit papers. This usually consisted of a summons and complaint which notifies consumers that they are being sued. American Legal Process (ALP) often neglected to actually serve the papers as required by law, instead engaging in the highly illegal practice of “sewer service,” according to the charges.

As a result, many consumers were subsequently harmed when their bank accounts were restrained and their wages garnished. I have represented many Long Island bankruptcy clients who needed immediate bankruptcy protection because of this.

The charges also include allegations that ALP engaged in additional fraud by covering up their illegal activity by falsifying documents, submitted to courts across the state, swearing that proper legal notification had been duly served upon these individuals.

In addition, Attorney General Cuomo announced his intent to sue one of ALP’s largest customers, the the high-volume Long Island debt collection firm of Forster & Garbus, for violations of New York State’s consumer protection laws. According to Cuomo, Forster & Garbus used ALP to serve over 28,000 summons and complaints across the state, but failed to supervise the company and relied on legal papers from ALP that it knew or should have known were false. Many of my Long Island bankruptcy clients have been sued by Forster & Garbus.

The investigation also involved some incredible work by the Internal Audit Unit of the New York State Unified Court System, which reviewed more than 100,000 records of affidavits of service.

As a result of the investigation and the charges against ALP, there will certainly be a major shakeup in New York collections practices and the likelihood of numerous class-action suits. It would not surprise me if some of Long Island’s largest collection law firms are driven out of business. It also appears that the Attorney General may bring charges against other process service companies as well.

Written by Craig Robins,esq.
    Long Island Bankruptcy Blog
    Bankruptcy and Society Current Events

Last edited by Flamingo; 04-15-2009, 08:12 AM. Reason: To confirm with forum posting rules - OP please take note

I hope that other states and counties pick up on this and institute their own review of legal service/sewer service.

We all know sewer service goes on and has for years, maybe now there will be some teeth put into the law to force the debt collectors to 'play by the rules'.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Breaks my heart. Maybe they will be forced to bankruptcy? LOL. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Some interesting implications of 'sewer service'

Anyone who serves process must file an affidavit of service with the court, giving details of the delivery of the papers. If the facts in an affidavit of service falsely assert that the papers were delivered, the person who swears to them can be prosecuted for the crime of perjury. In addition, the plaintiff's action will not have commenced. If the statute of limitations has expired by the time the true facts of the improper service are disclosed, the action is completely barred and the plaintiff has lost the right to sue.

Comment

I believe this has happened to me as well, when is the gov going to stop this?

Comment

I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg.
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X