Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRA Withdrawals Are Not �Income� in Bankruptcy

August 29, 2008

Withdrawals from retirement accounts do not count as “income” for the bankruptcy means test, according to the Eighth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel.

At long last, there is again harmony. As I have discussed before, my neighboring courts in the Western District of Missouri had concluded that withdrawals from retirement accounts, like a 401(k) or an IRA, would count towards the current monthly income in the means test. Fortunately for my clients, the courts in the other half of Missouri have not followed this reasoning.

Now the appellate court has finally had the opportunity to overrule this position. The case has a long history — first making news earlier this year when the Court of Appeals concluded a Chapter 13 debtor could object to their own plan in order to allow appellate review of a Chapter 13 confirmation issue.

The BAP has now held that such withdrawals, although potentially taxed as income by the Internal Revenue Service, are not “income” to the debtor when taken because they are in fact simply the liquidation of an existing asset. In effect, it is no different than a withdrawal from a bank account — taking money from one pocket and moving it to the other. The “income” event was when the money first became available to the individual from wages or the tooth fairy. But once the consumer directed it to be deposited into a retirement plan, the debtor did not lose the asset, but merely gained a possible tax advantage (as well as safe-keeping from creditors, typically).

The BAP also pointed out that the result is more in line with the purpose of the means test: To identify consumers who do in fact have regular income sufficient to make a meaningful repayment of unsecured debt. Unless the consumer has a bottom-less pit of retirement funds, it is unreasonable to expect that withdrawals could or would continue for a full five-year period to assist in performing a repayment plan. Of course many of us believe the means test is already an exercise in futility that glorifies form over substance but the Zahn court has made a heroic effort at providing some reason to that process.

Zahn v. Fink (06-6072, August 14, 2008).

Source:
    Bankruptcy Law Network
    By Wendell Sherk, Missouri Attorney on Aug 29, 2008 in Bankruptcy Cases & Legislation, Means Testing, Missouri
    http://www.************************/...in-bankruptcy/

Guess my Attorney was right when he told me my monthly withdrawals were not considered income in late Sept. of last year. That's why I put off our Bankruptcy.

BTW: I found this on a website recommended by HHM signature line. Very interesting information. Thanks HHM.

Luci

PS I'm in this District
    Last edited by Flamingo; 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM. Reason: To conform to Forum posting Rules - OP please note and review posting rules

Does this only apply for Missouri bk courts?

Comment

Originally posted by eddiep View Post
      Does this only apply for Missouri bk courts?
      Eighth Circuit Appeals District:

Arkansas Iowa Minnesota Missouri Nebraska North Dakota South Dakota

So I would say yes. Google it & call your Attorney.
      Luci

Comment

Originally posted by LuciluS View Post
        Eighth Circuit Appeals District:

Arkansas Iowa Minnesota Missouri Nebraska North Dakota South Dakota

So I would say yes. Google it & call your Attorney.
        Luci
        Oops, I meant to say No. It applies to the above States.

Comment

But does this now establish case law that will be upheld by all circuit courts ??
          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
            But does this now establish case law that will be upheld by all circuit courts ??
            Sweetie:

I think that would be a question only an Attorney could answer.

I know, in my case, it's too late as I withdrew the whole amount in Feb. since I thought it was Income. All that was left was almost $3,000 which might have given me 3 more monthly payments. My IRA really tanked the last 5 mths of 2008 and Jan 2009.

Luci

PS Hows the Moths Holding Up

Comment

Originally posted by LuciluS View Post
              Sweetie:

I think that would be a question only an Attorney could answer.

I know, in my case, it's too late as I withdrew the whole amount in Feb. since I thought it was Income. All that was left was almost $3,000 which might have given me 3 more monthly payments. My IRA really tanked the last 5 mths of 2008 and Jan 2009.

Luci

PS Hows the Moths Holding Up
              yeah, my 401K turned into a 101K. I was going to liquidate it and pay off the CC's and take the tax hit trying to do the honerable thing but not enough left now.So BK here I come.

BTW- The moth man is doing well
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                yeah, my 401K turned into a 101K. I was going to liquidate it and pay off the CC's and take the tax hit trying to do the honerable thing but not enough left now.So BK here I come.

BTW- The moth man is doing well
                Try to leave it there, if you can. DH's IRA earned $1,000 this last month.

Luci

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X