Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit delinquencies hit record high

July 7, 2009

Mounting job losses and fallout from housing bust make it tough for consumers to make payments on bank cards and other loans.

Soaring unemployment and the housing bust are leaving consumers hard-pressed to make loan payments on everything from credit cards to cars.

A report released Tuesday by American Bankers Association showed that delinquencies on consumer debt rose to a record 3.23% in the first quarter of 2009, up slightly from the previous quarter.

The percentage of borrowers at least 30 days late paying a balance is the highest since the group began keeping records in 1974.

The statistics are "a natural consequence of mounting job losses in a weakening economy," ABA Chief Economist James Chessen said in a statement.

The economy is losing jobs by the thousands, and mass layoffs and pay cuts have exacerbated the credit crunch. Banks have heightened lending standards because of default risk, providing less credit to consumers.

"The number one driver of delinquencies is job loss," Chessen said. "When people lose their jobs, they can't pay their bills. Delinquencies won't improve until companies start hiring again."

The overall ABA delinquency rate includes loans in eight categories: home equity, home improvement, indirect and direct auto, marine, RV, mobile home and personal.

That overall rate does not include bank credit cards, for which delinquencies also hit a record high -- rising to 4.75% of all accounts, compared with 4.52% in the fourth quarter of 2008.

Similarly, the balances on those late credit card accounts rose to 6.6% of all outstanding bank card debt, marking another record high.

This could indicate that consumers are using bank cards to bridge temporary income loss, especially as falling housing prices continue to punish home equity, Chessen said.

A report last week showed that home prices continued tumbling in April, falling 18% the previous year. Tuesday's ABA report said home equity loan delinquencies increased to 3.52% from 3.03%.

Outlook: The ABA's predictions for loan delinquencies were tied to the fate of the job market, which "is not likely to improve in the foreseeable future," Chessen noted.

A report last week showed the economy shed a much-worse-than-expected 467,000 jobs in June -- the first time in four months that the number of jobs lost rose from the prior month. The unemployment rate climbed to a fresh 26-year high at 9.5%.

Source:
    CNNMoney.com
    By Julianne Pepitone, CNNMoney.com contributing writer
    Last edited by Flamingo; 07-08-2009, 02:16 AM. Reason: To conform with forum posting rules - OP PLEASE REVIEW POSTING RULES

It will be interesting to see how many banks fail as a result.

Bailouts twice so far, but I doubt there is a bailout big enough to stop the impending collapse.
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

well duh!!! when you raise rates to 19% +, mail out sneaky 'change in terms' notices some of which you can't opt out of when they say 'due to our business practices', and refuse to lower the APR to allow the person to pay off the debt even on the agreement that card will be closed to new charges -- it is no wonder that people are 'having trouble'.. Seriously, is this even news??

Comment

It's going to get worse.

100 years ago you couldn't buy things like we do today on credit. About all you could get on credit was land in the 18th and 19th centuries other than perhaps a local bill to the local grocer who you paid when crops came in. We are headed back there, Americans are going to have to learn to do with less. You see all our wealth and our stuff are a lie.....
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

...yes, unfortunately, these events, though painful, seem to be the only way to wake everyone up to just how unsustainable it is to live the way we have been living the past few decades.

...unemployment is hitting us to awareness that living on credit perpetuated by our own need to live the high-life and our politician's short-term desire to satisfy those perceived needs for votes is not and has not been the way to live...

...hey, i'm guilty of it too, but with bk and discharge, in other words, another, chance, I'M NOT GOING DOWN THAT ROAD AGAIN.
          Filed: April 2009
          341 Meeting: April 28, 2009
          Discharge: July 1, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Nick9075 View Post
            well duh!!! when you raise rates to 19% +, mail out sneaky 'change in terms' notices some of which you can't opt out of when they say 'due to our business practices', and refuse to lower the APR to allow the person to pay off the debt even on the agreement that card will be closed to new charges -- it is no wonder that people are 'having trouble'.. Seriously, is this even news??
            My thoughts exactly...it's like uh, WTF? and No Kidding!
            Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
            Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

This months issue of Collection Advisor magazine states that the May charge-off rate for prime credit card portfolios set a record high of 9.66% or outstanding receivables.

Fitch's Retail Card Delinquency Index which measures receivables more than 60 days past due was at 4.37% in May.

Total consumer debt outstanding in the US, excluding real estate loans was 2.524 trillion dollars at the end of april.

Total revolving debt was 931 billion at the end of April, down from 976.8 billion at the end of third quarter 2008, when the balance peaked.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

What is very interesting to me is this:

Lenders generally have to follow either their own guidelines, which are set up when teh corporation is created or follow SEC guidelines about how MUCH losses they can sustain. For instance, if a company had 10 billion dollars in actual funds, they could leverage that to be able to actually lend 100 billion. The idea is that payments coming in can then be used to lend MORE money, and extend profits for shareholders, essentially using the same money over and over.

If the money dries up to the tune of 10%, the company may be forced into early amortization and essentially be put out of business. They would be forced to stop all lending and try to collect the outstanding debt for shareholders.

This is exactly what happened to Advanta Bank Corp. They were the largest lender to small businesses (mine included), and hit a default rate of 11 percent if I recall right. That forced them into early amortization and will very likely bankrupt the company.

In June anyone with an Advanta card had their card shut down, but are expected to continue making payments. And you can bet Advanta is now concentrating on jacking those rates whenever possible to maximize profits.

With the national average approaching 10% defaults, I bet we will see much more of this.
                3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by Nick9075 View Post
                  ...of course! man, how did our government get to the point where they create laws that allow such irrational and fundamentally deceptive/unfair behavior (rhetorical question)? i hope this so-called CC reform bill prevents this sort of behavior...
                  Filed: April 2009
                  341 Meeting: April 28, 2009
                  Discharge: July 1, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post

This is exactly what happened to Advanta Bank Corp. They were the largest lender to small businesses (mine included), and hit a default rate of 11 percent if I recall right. That forced them into early amortization and will very likely bankrupt the company.

With the national average approaching 10% defaults, I bet we will see much more of this.

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes as I read this...
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Frogger,

I too was moved to tears at the thought of my favorite demon being nailed to the concrete and left to die in the sun.

I only hope that their brothers and sisters in the pantheon of greed meet similar fates swiftly.
                      3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

its a tearful situation though

Comment

I know youre all gonna give me heck for this question! So how do you fix up your home and get a new roof and see new places without credit? Do I live with a falling apart house and never see the world and die without having any adventures?......so I can have no debt?

Comment

You have to save.

When you get your check the very first thing you should do is 1st give to charity (10% or less), then give to yourself (10% or less), then proceed with other expenses.

I've made modest improvements to my home since bankruptcy, it is not a fast process. I save a little, then I spend some on improvements. Because I had not saved prior to bankruptcy my grandmother provided much needed help with roof repairs. That's how it should be family looking out for one another. Credit is foolish in that you sell your future for a present day fix and you can never tell what the future really holds.
                            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by gowiththeflo View Post
                              I know youre all gonna give me heck for this question! So how do you fix up your home and get a new roof and see new places without credit? Do I live with a falling apart house and never see the world and die without having any adventures?......so I can have no debt?

Good question. If you stay on a budget you also budget for the things you mention. Chances are you will be able to afford it by sacrificing things such as eating out, buy a used car instead of new, that sort of planning and you will have the extra cash for home repairs and life's adventures.

Imagine you buy a house, the right thing to do is not only budget the mortgage payments, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc., but budget for some home repairs. That must be part of the budget!

If you cannot afford the home repairs then it's not the right time to buy the house. If EVERYONE lived by that rule big ticket items such as homes and cars would be more affordable not to mention vacations.

All loose credit does is inflate prices and the mother of all bubbles popped a couple of years ago and the wind just keeps leaking out. When it will stop nobody knows.
                              The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X