Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consumer bankruptcies soar in September

October 2, 2009

Consumer bankruptcies soared 41 percent in September from a year before and climbed from August, as high unemployment and the housing market crash took their toll, the American Bankruptcy Institute said on Friday.

September filings totaled 124,790, the fourth-highest month since the bankruptcy law changed in 2005.

Filings also rose 4 percent from August, even as recent reports have indicated that the U.S. housing market might be stabilizing and consumer confidence appears to be recovering.

September's filings pushed 2009 consumer bankruptcies to about 1.05 million, the highest for the first nine months of a year since 1.35 million in 2005.

The American Bankruptcy Institute said it expects consumer bankruptcies to climb to more than 1.4 million this year.

The U.S. unemployment rate rose to a 26-year high in September at 9.8 percent, according to government statistics released on Friday.

Although recent reports show that the erosion in the U.S. housing market might be easing, after dramatic declines in sales and prices, credit bureau Equifax Inc said recently that mortgage delinquencies accelerated in August to a record level.

Equifax said that indicated personal bankruptcies are likely to continue to rise.

Many Americans with troubled finances rushed to file for bankruptcy in
    2005 before a law change, leading to a spike that year.

Source:
    Reuters.com
    Last edited by Flamingo; 10-02-2009, 04:43 PM. Reason: To conform with forum posting rules

Not a bit surprising. Actually I figured that BK would surpass 2005 before it's all over. Each quarter is slightly higher then the quarter before. Just shows things aren't turning around like they keep telling us it is.
    Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

The world is coming to an end! Prepare for the next great depression.
      Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

I do not believe for one minute that things are turning around for the better. Just saw on the morning news that the average work week is now 32 hours for Americans. I know that is especially true in my house. I will take full advantage of what bankruptcy has to offer and will never be a slave to credit cards again nor will I worry needlessly about my credit score and the scare tactics that creditors try to put upon me!!!
        08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
        04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
        06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
        08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

I figure we will have deinflation for about two more years, and then - rapid inflation that will make the late 70's lok like nothing.
          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Agree with the inflation...you can see it already with Gold spiking every day. The dollar is just about worthless.
            7-2-2009 Filed
            8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
            10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

i say we have war with china. if we win they erase our debts. if they win...
              Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

This party's just getting started.
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I was a contributor to the September filings. Shame on me
                  9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
                  11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
                  01/04/2010 - last day for objections
                  01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

Wait until April 2010 when all these ARMs reset, 2010 & 2011 is going to make 2009 look like a walk in the park.
                    I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X