No announcement yet.

Judge Erases $525G Mortgage for N.Y. Couple, Citing 'Repulsive' Acts by Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge Erases $525G Mortgage for N.Y. Couple, Citing 'Repulsive' Acts by Bank

Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Long Island couple is home free after an outraged judge gave them an amazing Thanksgiving present — canceling their debt to ruthless bankers trying to toss them out on the street. Suffolk Judge Jeffrey Spinner wiped out $525,000 in mortgage payments demanded by a California bank, blasting its "harsh, repugnant, shocking and repulsive" acts, the New York Post reported.

The bombshell decision leaves Diane Yano-Horoski and her husband, Greg Horoski, owing absolutely no money on their ranch house in East Patchogue. Spinner pulled no punches as he smacked down the bankers at OneWest — who took an $814.2 million federal bailout but have a record of coldbloodedly foreclosing on any homeowner owing money.

"The bank was so intransigent that he [the judge] decided to punish them," Greg Horoski, 55, said about Spinner's scathing ruling last Thursday against OneWest and its IndyMac mortgage division. It erased up to $291,000 in principal and $235,000 in interest and penalties.

The Horoskis — who had been paying only interest on their mortgage — had no equity in the home. Horoski, who had begged the bankers to let him restructure the loan, said, "I think the judge felt it was almost a personal vendetta." Dealing with the bank, he said, was "like dealing with organized crime."

OneWest said, "We respectfully disagree with the lower court's unprecedented ruling and we expect that it will be overturned on appeal." It claimed it "has been extremely active in working with consumers on home loan modifications through the Obama administration's Home Affordable Modification Program and other loan modification initiatives." The bank is owned by a private equity group that purchased the failed IndyMac bank.
    Yano-Horoski, a college professor of English and cognitive reason, and Horoski, who sells collectible dolls online, bought their 3,400-square-foot, one-level house 15 years ago for less than $200,000. In 2004, court records show, they refinanced, paying off their original mortgage with part of a $292,500 sub-prime loan from Deutsche Bank. They used what was left for health care and for his business.

The loan carried an initial adjustable interest rate of 10.375 percent, which soared to 12.375 percent. It eventually ended up being either owned or serviced by IndyMac, and the bank sued the couple in July 2005 when they began having trouble making payments because of Horoski's health problems. After a foreclosure was approved last January, Yano-Haroski successfully asked for a court settlement conference.

Spinner excoriated OneWest for repeatedly refusing to work out a deal, for misleading him about the dollar amounts at stake in the case, and for its treatment of the couple over months of hearings. OneWest's conduct was "inequitable, unconscionable, vexatious and opprobrious," Spinner wrote. He canceled the debt because the bank "must be appropriately sanctioned so as to deter it from imposing further mortifying abuse against [the couple]."
    The bank is involved in a similar case in California, where it's trying to foreclose on an 89-year-old woman, despite two court orders telling it to stop.

Source:
    New York Post
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/j...Y58z6gu1AQbWMI
    Last edited by Flamingo; 11-28-2009, 08:16 PM. Reason: To conform with forum posting rules - OP PLEASE TAKE NOTE
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

i can't begin to express in words how wonderful this makes me feel.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
      i can't begin to express in words how wonderful this makes me feel.
      I feel the same.

The judge deserves a metal.
      Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

I think it will be interesting to see if this survives the inevitable appeal. Maybe a few cases like this will make the mortgage lenders a little more willing to deal with folks. After all, most people aren't asking for their lenders to take a loss, just not as much profit.
        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

yes, it would be very interesting how the appeal turns out. i think that the risk to the bank if they lose the appeal is so great that they might end up settling with the people out of court just to avoid the possibility of an appellate decision against the banking industry. that would be almost as good for the little people (us) as would an appellate decision. we'll see!
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09

Comment

Chalk one up for the struggling middle class! Could be years waiting for appeal. When will these banks learn you can't get blood from a stone? If they would have negotiated in the first place, they would at least be getting something. They deserve nothing!
            Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Sorry to say you are all as wrong as the judge.

I hope the banks appeal as they will and overturn this stupid ruling.

You buy more house then you can afford, you can come here to the forum and other sources to get free bk advice, file for bk then walk away from the house and the debt and let the stupid bank get stuck with it. (This I like)

Having a debtor "win a free house" by court order is nonsense! (This is wrong)

I knew once the stupid govt bailed out the banks all the leaches would want their bailouts too.

We have bk laws for a reason.
              The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post

You buy more house then you can afford, you can come here to the forum and other sources to get free bk advice, file for bk then walk away from the house and the debt and let the stupid bank get stuck with it. (This I like)

I knew once the stupid govt bailed out the banks all the leaches would want their bailouts too.

The guy bought a house he could afford. The problem is he had health issues later that made him refinance. As far as I can see, the guy was trying his best, it was the bank who didn't jave 'a heart'. The bank took Federal money will the idea they would help such people as this guy.
                Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                  The guy bought a house he could afford. The problem is he had health issues later that made him refinance. As far as I can see, the guy was trying his best, it was the bank who didn't jave 'a heart'. The bank took Federal money will the idea they would help such people as this guy.
                  ditto
                  Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

they didn't win a free house. they went through hell with the bank. like bigjohn said, the bank took taxpayer bailout money - paid in part by that very homeowner - then decided to make a profit off of it instead of work with the little people to avoid foreclosures.
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09

Comment

I read more on it and even the homeowner didn't expect to "win a free house". He isn't really the one I am "dissing" for lack of a better word.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. If you or I get sick and the bank acts like the scumbags they are, I am still not entitled to my home for free.

A judge has no business erasing a mortgage just as the corrupt politicians have no business bailing out the corrupt banks.

I happen to be pretty liberal on honest folks canceling their debts through bk but this story is nonsense and set a very bad precident.

Looks like there really is no end in sight. More bank bailouts, more people playing the victim of their bank until 300 million Americans have free homes.

It won't work for very long.

Comment

Did you even read the article or just the headline? These people did not buy more house than they could afford, their circumstances changed. Happens every day in America. Thy bought the house for less than $200K. I'll admit they weren't very sophisticated borrowers given the loan terms to which they originally agreed.

To label these people as leeches is rather unfair, given the fact that they wanted to pay on their mortgage but their bank was acting in bad faith. The judge did not cancel the mortgage to reward the borrowers or bail them out, but to punish the bank.
                        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
                          Did you even read the article or just the headline? These people did not buy more house than they could afford, their circumstances changed. Happens every day in America. Thy bought the house for less than $200K. I'll admit they weren't very sophisticated borrowers given the loan terms to which they originally agreed.

To label these people as leeches is rather unfair, given the fact that they wanted to pay on their mortgage but their bank was acting in bad faith. The judge did not cancel the mortgage to reward the borrowers or bail them out, but to punish the bank.

They have my simpathy as all good people do that fall on hard times but the judgement was not only wrong, it is dangerous.

Many members here are here because of falling on hard times. They get their debts canceled and either lose or reaffirm their homes via the bk courts and startover.

If everyone that falls on hard times gets this judgement then welcome to the soviet union.

Comment

They have my simpathy as all good people do that fall on hard times but the judgement was not only wrong, it is dangerous.

Many members here are here because of falling on hard times. They get their debts canceled and either lose or reaffirm their homes via the bk courts and startover.

If everyone that falls on hard times gets this judgement then welcome to the soviet union.
                            You're missing the point. This is not about everyone getting a free house just because they can't afford to pay for it any more. It's about a bank being punished because they were acting in bad faith. If these people had been dealt with honestly by the bank then they might have had a shot at keeping the house.

I don't believe that most folks think that if they can't afford the house because their circumstances change they should get to keep the house for nothing. I think people see that once they lose a step, most of these financial institutions are pouncing on them with increased rates and penalty fees, instead of working with them to help them get that step back. The presumption by the banks seems to be that people stop paying because they don't want to, not because they can't.
                            Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

I am not looking for a free home (well, I am but I also want to win the lottery) but in my opinion if a bank takes Government money it is incumbemnt upon them to help the borrowers who need help and are willing to pay what they can to stay in the home.

I am a refugee from a communist country and my friends, THIS ruling is not Communism, not by a long shot, trust me.
                              Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X