• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millions of Unemployed Face Years Without Jobs

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

I reckon if we were to evict the illegal aliens working in our country there would be jobs aplenty.

Of course this paragraph highlights the NY Times bias:

Large companies are increasingly owned by institutional investors who crave swift profits, a feat often achieved by cutting payroll. The declining influence of unions has made it easier for employers to shift work to part-time and temporary employees
    The NY Times: America's Communist Cheerleader of Record.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
      I reckon if we were to evict the illegal aliens working in our country there would be jobs aplenty.

Of course this paragraph highlights the NY Times bias:

The NY Times: America's Communist Cheerleader of Record.
      The NY Times is the paper of record in this country.

I read it multiple times every day and have an iphone app on my iphone to read it from my iphone.

There is nothing in the paragraph quoted above that is not true. To meet Wall Street expectations, companies cut costs. This results in a loss of jobs as jobs go to outsourcing, or simply get eliminated altogether. What is controversial about those facts?

I am still waiting for you to take that job as a migrant grape picker Ohiofiler. I will gladly help find the the illegal alien that currently holds that job, another job, so that you can have his grape-picking job.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I won't join the debate about migrant workers in the US.

I wanted to point out, though, in case either of you had missed it:

China, with a growing middle-class, is beginning to OUTSOURCE ITS JOBS to countries like Vietnam, South Korea, and other Asian nations that are a rung down on the ladder.

Many posts about it at zerohedge.com

Astounding. There is actually talk of the Chinese losing out because their middle class, small but growing, is starting to see themselves as "better than" certain jobs. In no way is this ALL of the people in China, but apparently it is enough that outsourcing is a worry.

Some sort of cosmic justice or irony here, but I can't quite find it.

Now, workers in Vietnam, employed by Chinese companies that sell to the US, are in fear for THEIR jobs because of what is occurring in Detroit.

The circle is almost complete, and the snake is devouring the tail, I suppose.
        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

as much as i hate to admit it, thats what i do. Outsource work to other countries. it is very hard to compete in this country when a fully burdened labor rate in China or Singapore is $45 an hour VS $200 an hour here. what makes more economic sense ?? If you cant make money, then you get out of the business. I worry for my children, because i know what they are up against. If you want to see a glimpse of our future, read the book "The world is flat"
          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
            I
            The circle is almost complete, and the snake is devouring the tail, I suppose.
            FYI- the next move is to Africa, the last cheap untapped labor pool
            Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

One of the biggest moves that made some people wake up was the move of Hershey Chocolates to Mexico for manufacturing. While Hershey still has a big chocolate draw with a theme park, etc., all its candy is now made in Mexico. I know many people who have quit buying it and all related candy bars.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                One of the biggest moves that made some people wake up was the move of Hershey Chocolates to Mexico for manufacturing. While Hershey still has a big chocolate draw with a theme park, etc., all its candy is now made in Mexico. I know many people who have quit buying it and all related candy bars.
                Likewise with Wrigleys moving their production of candy to Canada. This was caused by America's extremely politically powerful sugar growers who have arm twisted congress into imposing prohibitive tariffs on sugar. Sugar in the US costs about twice what it does on the world market. A company like Hersheys and Wrigleys uses untold tons of sugar. If they make their products here they have to pay the penalty of that tariff. If they're going to be competitive and stay in business, they have to produce it somewhere else. Otherwise their competitors would eat them alive.

This is a perfect example of what happens when a ham-fisted government bureaucracy tries to fix something.
                Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                  The NY Times is the paper of record in this country.

I read it multiple times every day and have an iphone app on my iphone to read it from my iphone.

There is nothing in the paragraph quoted above that is not true. To meet Wall Street expectations, companies cut costs. This results in a loss of jobs as jobs go to outsourcing, or simply get eliminated altogether. What is controversial about those facts?

I am still waiting for you to take that job as a migrant grape picker Ohiofiler. I will gladly help find the the illegal alien that currently holds that job, another job, so that you can have his grape-picking job.
                  The Birdcage Lining of Record sees the problem with greedy profit hungry owners and the loss of power wielded by union thugs. No mention is made of the problem BIG government creates or for that matter the problems created by BIG union.

Our citizens have generally become soft and dependent on Big Brother. I can assure you over the history of our great nation when times were tough no man would have thought grape picking was below his dignity and responsibility for supporting his family.

If we stop this silly extending unemployment benefits ad infinitum I'll bet most of these too proud workers would gladly take jobs currently being done by illegals.
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

The Birdcage Lining of Record sees the problem with greedy profit hungry owners and the loss of power wielded by union thugs. No mention is made of the problem BIG government creates or for that matter the problems created by BIG union.

Our citizens have generally become soft and dependent on Big Brother. I can assure you over the history of our great nation when times were tough no man would have thought grape picking was below his dignity and responsibility for supporting his family.

If we stop this silly extending unemployment benefits ad infinitum I'll bet most of these too proud workers would gladly take jobs currently being done by illegals.
                    I totally agree with you OF that unions have contributed to the loss of our manufacturing base in this country.

I do not agree with you that a seasonal job raking leaves or picking grapes will replace our lost manufacturing jobs and solve our long-term unemployment issues.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                      I totally agree with you OF that unions have contributed to the loss of our manufacturing base in this country.

I do not agree with you that a seasonal job raking leaves or picking grapes will replace our lost manufacturing jobs and solve our long-term unemployment issues.
                      The market will solve the long-term unemployment issues. Government handouts never solve anything.

Jobs are jobs. Why is it so important for you to distinguish certain jobs as somehow not good for the economy or the individual? Jobs are a result of market need, not the other way around. This is the problem with Big government. They want to create jobs thinking a market will somehow blossom as a result. It doesn't work that way.

Comment

The market will solve the long-term unemployment issues. Government handouts never solve anything.

Jobs are jobs. Why is it so important for you to distinguish certain jobs as somehow not good for the economy or the individual? Jobs are a result of market need, not the other way around. This is the problem with Big government. They want to create jobs thinking a market will somehow blossom as a result. It doesn't work that way.

There is a myth taught in schools that the 1929 crash caused the depression, H. Hoover ignored it causing the depression to deepen and FDR's "job creation" programs made it all better.

The depression lasting so long was mostly due to the lack of private investments.

Other then the post office, law enforcement and military, the government has yet to create even 1 self sustaining job. They simply borrow or print money to hire people to dig a hole in the morning and fill it up in the afternoon. Nothing long term comes from this. It will only decimate the tax base further.
                        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Yep, I can get top notch legal research for less than $8 dollars per hour overseas; and a virtual assistant between $5-7 per hour. And these are people in India and other countries with U.S. masters and Ph.d

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                            Yep, I can get top notch legal research for less than $8 dollars per hour overseas; and a virtual assistant between $5-7 per hour. And these are people in India and other countries with U.S. masters and Ph.d
                            Yep, and a friend of mine runs a small company that gets them for you.

Comment

But what goes around comes around. There are a lot of companies that are getting grants, and tax assistance to set up "in-sourcing" programs. This is a trend in the Midwest. Companies train people in the bare minimums for doing a low end technical job and pay them what the going rate is in India (around 25-30k a year). Since the cost of living is low in the Midwest, this salary is livable as a starting salary, and the jobs stay here and someone who would have started out after high school in a factory before, is now being trained to do jobs that used to go to India.

Costs for outsourcing, at least for technical functions, have gone way up and it is now viable to do the work here for almost the same cost.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X