Bank of America

Mr. Vikram Pandit
    Citigroup

Mr. James Dimon
    JP Morgan Chase

Mr. John Stumpf
    Wells Fargo

Dear Messrs. Moynihan, Pandit, Dimon and Stumpf:

The mortgage foreclosure crisis that began over two years ago, and which continues to be a prime contributor to our nation's current economic downturn, burdens millions of hard-working American families. Congress and the Obama Administration have worked hard to address foreclosures by enabling and encouraging loan modification s, but the private sector's response has fallen far short of the need. Many homeowners are eager to save their homes despite being "underwater," but find that lenders and servicers are unable or unwilling to make necessary modi fications. These homeowners are increasingly deciding to walk away and thus foreclosures continue to mount, deepening the crisis.

To save homes on a large scale, we must move past temporary modifications in interest rates or terms and focus on permanent principal reductions that result in truly sustainable mortgages. There is no more important priority for me in our efforts to restore stability to our mortgage market.

Many investors in first-lien mortgages have indicated that they are willing to accept the fact of significant losses on those investments in order to move on and use their money for other purposes, rather than having it locked in underwater mortgages with a high and growing likelihood of foreclosure. With the interests of homeowners and investors aligned in this way, it should follow that large numbers of principal-reduction modifications could be made relatively quickly. That is not happening. According to investors, Administration officials, and other experts I have consulted, holders of second-lien mortgages are now a principal obstacle to many modifications. The problem of second-lien mortgages standing in the way of successful principal reduction modifications has reached a critical stage and requires immediate
    attention from your institutions.

Large numbers of these second liens have no real economic value - the first liens are well underwater, and the prospect for any real return on the seconds is negligible. Yet because accounting rules allow holders of these seconds to carry the loans at artificially high values, many refuse to acknowledge the losses and write down the loans, which would allow willing first lien holders to reduce principal and keep
    borrowers in their homes.

The four organizations you lead are major participants in the second-lien market. Failure to modify these debts has become a major and unnecessary obstacle to thousands of Americans being able to stay in their homes. I urge you in the strongest possible terms to take immediate steps to write down these second mortgages and allow principal reduction modifications of the underlying first liens to take place. If there are legal obstacles to your doing so, we will work with you to remove them.

I will be calling you within the week to discuss what your institutions plan to do to remove the second liens you own or control as impediments to principal reduction modifications.

11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Wow, who'da thunk?

Lenders talking out of both sides of their mouths?

Does Barney forget that the very companies he is addressing about removing 2nd liens, are themselves the FIRST LIEN HOLDERS in many cases?

So, the first lien holders are willing to modify, while the 2nd's are holding things up? THEY ARE THE SAME COMPANIES you idiot. There are others, too, but just how many 2nds do these very companies he is addressing handle? Tons.

In other words: We want the OTHER companies on this list to forgive their 2nd lien positions. BUT, we want to KEEP ours.

The depths of stupidity know no bounds.

Don't take me wrong. I would love to see 2nd's destroyed. But then there will be a large outcry from people like myself. I could have structured my loan as an 80/20 but didn't. I had the income and cash to support a big downpayment. So, I get screwed because I didn't take a 2nd?

Since my house is going back to the bank whether they want it or not, it doesn't matter as much to me. But I can see many people becoming very angry over this, if by some miracle it actually happened.
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

i was gonna say, i'll never talk bad about Barney again.

but that would be just too damn hard not to laugh when i watch this buffoon move his Lips
      Last edited by Flamingo; 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM. Reason: Offending word removed. Let's stay professional please on a forum that appears on the front page of this website...thank you
      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
        Don't take me wrong. I would love to see 2nd's destroyed. But then there will be a large outcry from people like myself. I could have structured my loan as an 80/20 but didn't. I had the income and cash to support a big downpayment. So, I get screwed because I didn't take a 2nd?
        No sir. You did not get screwed; that someone else benefits (in this case, the seller of the house who sold to the buyer who got an 80/20 loan - the person who actually got that cash) does not mean you lost something.

Regardless of Barney, 2nd are and will continue to get written off at an ever increasing rate. There is no stopping it; it is happening right now, whether by people walking away, choosing to stop paying the seconds while maintaining the first (like we're doing), chapter 13s, and various other means. I think it WOULD be better if the process was more orderly, something the government is perfectly suited to do, which is where Mr. Frank has a point, he's just failing to realize it at the same time that he's making it.

Comment

MSbklawyer and albacore44, please remove your offensive anti-gay remarks. there is no place for that on this forum.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
            MSbklawyer and albacore44, please remove your offensive anti-gay remarks. there is no place for that on this forum.
            Are you a Liberal ??
            Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
              M12. There is humor, there is bigotry, there is prejudice. I personally found this humorous.

The trouble with our society is that we lack a sense of humor and the PC crowd I am damn well sick of.

I speak with some authority as my god-daughter who lives upon our property had a legal wedding in Hawaii to her spouse. Her spouse is a female as obviously my god-daughter is.

Lighten up please. We are all adults here. We hosted by way of D.O.C. a homosexual that was on probation. Not for anything drastic that he had done, but he needed a home until he moved on.

Let's get real. I'm tired of being perfect in our GOVERNMENT'S eyes. 'Hub
              Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM.
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                Are you a Liberal ??
                Albacore. In reference to my above post, please change your Avatar back to my beloved one. I'm "not that kind of boy". Gawd she's hot. 'Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Since this posting has gotten way off topic and had to be moderated to remove some offending language/postings, it has been closed. To the posters in this thread, this particular forum appears on the front page of the website. Let's have some class and professionalism, shall we? Future postings of that nature will result in more than just a removal and a hand slap. Thank you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X