Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Telltale Signs That Your Neighbors Are Broke

April 1, 2010

Are they broke? Nobody in your family likes to talk about it and it's definitely not neighborly to bring the subject up if the neighbors don't. Even so, you can't help wonder how the Joneses managed to build their McMansion and put a Mercedes and a Jaguar in the driveway. If you want to know whether they have been bitten hard by the Great Recession or are maxed out on their debt, here's 7 telltale signs to look for.

The Grass Doesn't Lie:

As the Spring turns to Summer, you'll notice that the neighbor's lawn has a new color - a light shade of brown. Water is downright expensive in many places and when money is tight, the sprinklers get turned off. If you live where mother nature provides plenty from above, look for lawns that resemble a Southeast Asian jungle as the telltale sign. When people don't have any cash, the mowing service gets cancelled and the grass starts reaching for the moon.

Bye-Bye Mercedes-Benz!

You raised an eyebrow when your neighbor brought home that shiny S class Mercedes, or was it a Cadillac sedan? Either way, you suspected that it was leased. When they pull into their driveway with a used 1999 Kia Sephia, your suspicions will be confirmed. This one is worthy of the question to your neighbor, "So what happened to the Cadillac?" If the answer includes something about "being green" or "wanting a commuter car", smile and nod your head and give them a pat on the back for learning the virtues of living cheap. Better late than never.

5 Pounds of Mail, Every Day

Take a minute and watch your neighbor grab his or her mail one day. If they come away with stacks of paper and it's not the holidays, you'll know something is up. Miss a few mortgage payments or property taxes and everyone and their cousin starts to flood your mailbox and they're not sending you love letters. And if your neighbors are late making payments on their credit card bills, they'll get notices piled high. If you see the Joneses with wheel barrow or duffel bag each day to grab their mail, it's a sure sign that there's no love lost between them and their creditors.

Landscape Me Not:

Spring time usually ushers in the new round of flowers, plants, and typical landscaping improvements. But if your neighbor's yard doesn't change a bit after years of top of the line grooming, it might be because the credit cards are maxed out and the checking account is more than a little light this year. Lots of people are skipping landscaping in this the third real year of the Great Recession.

Lights Out: Early and Often

Electricity rates just keep heading higher thanks to the need to fund fat electric company pensions. But this year, your neighbor won't be supporting the cause because their house at night will resemble a black hole. Those impressive lawn lights that illuminated the facade of their beautiful McMansion will sit dark or be lit for a brief hour in the evening. That great hall chandalier that made such a strong impression will be dimmed for "green" reasons. And in the summer, you might notice that your neighbors house feels more like the sauna at the gym because the air conditioning is set at 85 degrees. Christmas lights? Don't be surprised if the the ornate show is a little more modest this year.

Vacation Me Not

Disney? Hawaii? A Grand European Vacation? Not this year. You'll be seeing a lot more of your neighbors during their Staycations. If in years past, they've raved about the beaches in Maui, the slopes in Aspen, or the Great Barrier reef you may be a little shocked when you hear them expounding on the joys of setting up a tent in their backyard. You'll know what's up. It doesn't take a genius to figure out their financial health when the hotdogs on the grill have been substituted for 5 star French cuisine in Paris.

Tag Sale

If you wake up one morning to walk the dog and see a sign for an "Estate Sale" at your neighbor's place, it might just be that they realize that Cash is King and they don't have any. When they are doing well, most people don't bother with Tag Sales. It's easier to donate stuff and take the tax writeoff against good income. But it takes a year before you see your donations make a dent in your tax refund. The tax benefits also don't mean squat if there isn't much income. So if there is a yard sale at your neighbors for the first time this year, it might just because they're scraping bottom and need to raise cash in a hurry. Help them out by acquiring that hardly used LCD TV from their second living room. Or was that the 7th bedroom?

Any single one of these signs won't mean much, but any three or more will tell you all you need to know. Never gloat about your neighbor's misfortune. Help them out when you can. Loan them your lawnmower so they can cut their own grass. Give them tips on how they can paint their own home. Invite them over for dinner or a backyard barbecue. Good neighbors help each other out - especially in hard times. And don't forget to send them our way. A few lessons learned on LiveCheap.com can set them on the right path and teach them how to live the good life cheaply.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Keepinitreal,

Thanks for your continuous posts with articles--keep them coming!
    Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
    Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

So true. While we live in a rural area that is already economically challenged, several of these signs apply here as well. We have given up counting the 'For Sale' and 'For Rent' signs--it is easier to count the lots that DON'T have them.

Also look for a sudden increase in 'Lawn Services'. Around here, it looks like everyone who has a lawn mower, a weed-eater, and other tools, has suddenly started a Lawn Service to supplement income. I guess they never think about the fact that 'Lawn Services' are one of the first things to go.....

And the 'For Rent' sign might be a sign advertising the spare bedroom for rent....
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I can relate to the mail deal. After filing bk13 my mailbox is empty 3-4 days of the week and I love it! I am saving a lot of trees and doing my part to go "green" by filing bankruptcy.
        Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by andy158 View Post
          I can relate to the mail deal. After filing bk13 my mailbox is empty 3-4 days of the week and I love it! I am saving a lot of trees and doing my part to go "green" by filing bankruptcy.
          Yes! Same here, it is really nice to get very light mail everyday and not worry about mail stacked up at home
          Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
          Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Hmmmm...we fit the "mcmansion" theory a few years back (still have the Escalade) and NONE of those applied to us when we were broke.

We always watered our lawn, husband always cut the grass.

I STILL have the Cadillac.

We DO get less mail NOW, but we didn't get a TON when we were broke.

We never landscape, just weed.

We didn't change our "lighting" schedule.

DISNEY was our last "hoor-ah" on our credit cards.

We didn't have a rummage either.

Man, we didn't do ANY of those things when we were on the verge of BK.
            Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
            341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
            Last day for objections: 7-14-08
            Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

So true of my neighborhood of Mcmansions. the part about the watering really hit home. last summer it was really apparent people had cut back on watering. and it's easy to point out the next one getting ready to walk. The lawn suddenly turns brown
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                So true of my neighborhood of Mcmansions. the part about the watering really hit home. last summer it was really apparent people had cut back on watering. and it's easy to point out the next one getting ready to walk. The lawn suddenly turns brown
                I've heard about a company that will spray your dead grass with bright green paint to make it look like it's been watered. But they charge $$ for that, so I suppose only the bank or Realtor might pay for that "lawn service".
                “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I know my neighbors on the side street across from me are hurting. They have garage sales almost weekly. They built there house when the boom was going on down here and they are upside down by around 150k. I feel bad for them. We never talk to them really just wave when we see them. Friendly enough. I can't understand a word they say though the times I've tried very heavy accent. Neighbors directly across are very friendly but they don't speak a word of English. I'd be in trouble if I had to run for help and those were the only neighbors home lol.

Comment

I've got 5 of the 7 lol. No garage sales or tons of daily mail yet. Definitely had a "staycation", hot house in the summertime not turning central air on, no trips to the nursery for flowers, went from 3 cars to 1, no watering yard. You do what you gotta do.
                    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
                    Attended 341 September 2010
                    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

You know your neighbors are hurting when:

- The big RV/motor home is up for sale at the corner or nearest "free" area it can be placed for sale.

- They don't ask you anymore to watch the house while they go on vacation cause they are not going.

- If they still entertain, it's in the back yard. Less going out.

- Deliveries to their house slow down/stop

- They start going in the house with shopping bags from discount/bulk chains; or Wal-Mart bags appear.

- They come over and ask to borrow stuff they run out of more than usual.

- They tell you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X