Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Reasons for Canceling Credit Cards

April 19, 2010

1) I have a small emergency fund of $1000 put aside. I used to use my credit cards for emergencies, but the funny thing is that my cards would reside at or near the maximum credit level, so technically I would only have $100 worth of credit to use for an emergency. That doesn't even make sense. Having cash on hand makes sense.

2) I never, ever want to be at the mercy of credit card companies that will ding me $35 for being literally an hour late making an online payment. Ditto for being at their mercy for interest rates, annual fees, a heinous universal default clause, etc.

3) I actually don't need a credit card for travel, online purchases, credit card protection coverage, renting a car, etc. any more. Bank debit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo work the same as a credit card (I do need to have cash in the account to cover the hold and the charges, but with the ATM card linked to my emergency fund account, it works just fine.)

4) I will officially be "weird." Most average people have a handful of credit cards and a mountain of credit card debt. Weird people (like me) have no credit cards and no credit card debt. I'm happy to be weird.

5) I won't run up debt. Without credit cards, if I don't have the cash to pay for what I want, I will either need to buy something that I can afford, save money until I have the cash to buy the item I want, or not buy anything. No matter what happens, I won't end up in debt.

6) I don't have a number of credit cards to keep track of. If my wallet were to be stolen, I won't have a dozen credit card companies to deal with.

7) I won't be tempted to blow my hard-earned money on things that I don't need. Using credit makes it way too easy to spend money because it doesn't really feel like you are parting with your hard-earned cash. I can't count the number of times I swiped my card to purchase expensive gifts, unnecessary clothing or shoes, or jewelry that I couldn't afford because I could afford the "low monthly payments."

8) I won't be able to "rescue" people. The Florence Nightingale syndrome can have a seriously negative affect on your bottom line. Better to provide moral support instead of financial support, which often leads to making loans that aren't paid back, ruining personal relationships over money, and feeling guilted into spending simply because I had a credit card to put the debt on.

9) My wallet is lighter. Being a minimalist, it is a nice feeling not to be lugging around a wallet full of credit cards.

10) I don't foresee the need for a great "credit score." I own my home, and if I do decide to purchase another home, there is the option of manual underwriting or, better yet, paying cash for a home. I am self-employed, but if I do look for a regular job, I would want to work for a company that bases their hiring decisions on me, the person, instead of me, the credit score.
    In our society, not having a single credit card is nearly blasphemous, but I am willing to take that risk in order to live debt free and not fall victim to the siren song of the credit card industry.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

OMG:

8) I won't be able to "rescue" people. The Florence Nightingale syndrome can have a seriously negative affect on your bottom line. Better to provide moral support instead of financial support, which often leads to making loans that aren't paid back, ruining personal relationships over money, and feeling guilted into spending simply because I had a credit card to put the debt on.

This is what got us snowballing into bk. How true, and good article. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

+1

Relatives are the worst debtors. And employees.

Also agree credit scores should not be used to determine one's qualifications of doing a job well. I work with several spoiled rich "adults" that are the worst people for reporting off , not working any overtime when asked and complain about everything money related.
      Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Everyone I know, including us, has the relative, or close friend, that just never has the money for anything and is constantly taken care of by family and/or other friends. They claim they "have it so bad" because they are not working, have 25 kids, wife can't work due to the kids, lights are getting shut off, etc., etc. They never seem to have the time to find a job but seem to be able to have the time to do lots of other things with the handouts they get. And you will get "guilted" into using your debit card also, not just credit cards, because "oh you are so lucky to have what you do, you make so much money at your job when I only make minimum wage," etc., etc., etc.

Tough love is tough...once you say "no" because you yourself can't help anymore or can't help at all, you either never hear from them again or other family members/friends belittle you for not attempting to help anymore becaise they themselves have been taken and don't want to get "stuck" again. Just say "no" in the first place whenever asked for loans from family/friends because you need to be able to afford it and need to know you probably will not get the funds paid back.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

4) I will officially be "weird." Most average people have a handful of credit cards and a mountain of credit card debt. Weird people (like me) have no credit cards and no credit card debt. I'm happy to be weird.

Yeah...me too.....

Comment

Great post! I'm happy to be wierd with you!!
            Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
            341 Meeting 09/09/09
            Discharged 11/12/09
            Closed 12/14/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X