Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chex Systems Reports Woman Dead Even Though She Was Very Much Alive

Chex Systems report has error

Finally, she got a small break when her lawyer friend found out that the bank used a firm named Chex Systems Inc. to run background checks on new customers. With a little snooping, she learned that Chex Systems is used by many financial institutions to verify identities during transactions and to help retailers spot consumers who've bounced checks in the past. She also learned she was entitled to see what records Chex Systems had about her through what's called a "consumer disclosure," the firm's version of a free annual credit report. She got her response on Aug. 18. There, on page 2, in black and white, was the bad news.

"Number inactivated due to report of death," it said, right next to her Social Security number.

And just below, there was a toll free number to call with disputes. She called immediately to make the case with Chex Systems that she was, in fact, alive.

"I got on the phone with an agent who sounded extremely upset that I would even question the validity of their report," she said. "He said I was reported dead on August 3, 2008."

Chex Systems, which is a subsidiary of Florida-based Fidelity National Information Services Inc., said in an e-mail to msnbc.com that it could not comment on a specific consumer's situation, citing privacy concerns, but it asserted that all death information comes "via a direct feed from the Social Security Administration."

"But they say I'm not dead," Rivers, exasperated by this obvious Catch-22, said. "I am at wit's end. ... As Chex Systems has passed this information to so many federal agencies and their clients, there is absolutely no way to tell who has the information and how to get all reports corrected."

For all intents and purposes, Rivers had suffered digital death, a near-fatal disease in our increasingly interconnected world.

After Rivers contacted msnbc.com looking for help, she tried to get her free annual copy of her credit report using the Web site AnnualCreditReport.com. The site indicated there was a problem with her credit record and recommended she request the report via U.S. mail. She's still awaiting the response.

Identity Theft Resource Center offers hope
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Hopefully Chex Systems will be held financially responsible for this.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Back in 1986 or 1987, my 'Hub's ex-wife encountered this same problem. When she went to her S & L, with whom she had always had a very good standing, to find out why her checks were being bounced, she was told straight to her face by a clerk that wasn't kidding, that "You are dead!"

J said: "I most certainly am NOT dead; I'm standing right here!"

"Nevertheless, our records show that you are dead".

What happened was that another lady with the same name and similar age had passed on to the other side, and the obituary duly noted in the local newspaper. A clerk at the S & L, saw the obit, and without checking simple things like birth dates, death certificates, SS numbers, etc., etc., closed the account.

After some protestations by the lower-ranked personnel, that no, the NSF fees were not going to be reversed, yada, yada, she spoke very firmly to the President of the S & L.

The account was reopened and all NSF fees were absorbed and everything made right.

As I said, this was 1986 or 1987. I have no idea whether the Chex system was in place or not. In any case, this was our county's local S & L, where you would think that people know you...
      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 09-02-2010, 08:43 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

"the news of my death was greatly exaggerated" Mark Twain
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Scary stuff....no verification of facts!
          Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
          AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Unless it was actual error, as I suspect it is actual error, there's no liability for Chex Systems. If you want to change Credit Reporting, go to your Congressman and have them change the laws. It's true, credit reporting is not "validated" factual information. It's just information taken as fact. As listed above, it was probably something related to identity theft.

I suppose we should sue the Social Security Administration as well since they accidentally mark people in the master file as "dead" about 1,000 times a month or so. The problem is the data and that humans are involved.

I don't particularly like the slant of the article, using the word "kill" when referring to the SSA's accidentally adding someone to the master death file.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I'm thinking, in a twisted way, this is even better than bankruptcy. All your debts would go away once each company screened their portfolios for deceaseds. No collections, no lawsuits, SOL would just run out. Maybe not even 1099's.
              filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

The downside, catleg, is if you really wanted to be alive.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I think I could live without a bank account of my own in exchange for being "dead" to my creditors.
                  filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X