Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Free Checking becomes Fee Checking

December 4, 2010

Keeping your checking account free is getting much tougher.

Facing new revenue-crimping regulations, big banks are whittling away at free-checking offerings and adding stricter requirements for avoiding monthly maintenance fees, from higher minimum balances to mandatory direct deposits of at least a certain amount.

The percentage of free accounts—those with no monthly fee and no minimum balance requirement—has fallen to 65% from 76% a year ago, according to a recent Bankrate.com survey of checking accounts at large banks and credit unions.

Banks are increasingly penalizing little-used checking accounts and favoring households' most-active accounts, which generate more income and have a better chance of producing more business down the road.

This summer, Wells Fargo replaced its free-checking offering with something called "Value Checking," which requires either a monthly direct deposit of $250 or more or a minimum balance of $1,500 to avoid a $5 monthly fee.

New Restrictions

Some banks are imposing other restrictions. Bank of America in August rolled out its "eBanking" checking account, which doesn't require a minimum balance, but does demand that users make deposits and withdrawals electronically and forgo paper statements to avoid an $8.95 monthly fee. And under changes made in September, Citibank's "Basic Checking" customers need to complete at least five transactions—which could include debit purchases, automated-teller-machine withdrawals, checks or direct deposits—or pay an $8 monthly fee.

Next year, bank bottom lines will be pinched again when the "interchange fees" that merchants pay for debit cards are cut, which may trigger another round of account changes. In February, for example, J.P. Morgan Chase will no longer waive its monthly Chase Checking fee if depositors make five or more debit-card purchases. Those who use direct deposit will be able to avoid the maintenance fee—but only if each deposit is at least $500.

The more-stringent rules may be costly to young people and those who manage their money carefully by keeping checking balances low so they can take advantage of higher interest rates elsewhere. Student accounts are being affected too: Wells Fargo's college account charges a $3 monthly fee unless students have at least $500 in their accounts or a monthly direct deposit of at least $25. (No, transfers from Mom and Dad don't count.)

The new restrictions reflect regulatory changes that are cutting into bank profits. Since last summer, banks can no longer automatically put through overdrafts on ATM withdrawals and debit-card purchases, which generated huge fees. Instead, consumers must formally agree to pay overdraft fees, or see their transactions declined.

Some 55% of bank checking-account revenue has come from interest income, mostly on accounts of $3,000 or larger, and the rest from fees, led by overdraft fees, according to Celent, a financial-services research and consulting firm. In a presentation to analysts last month, Chase said its net income from retail banking fell 19% in the third quarter compared with a year ago, following the overdraft rules.

A Jump in ATM Fees

To make up for falling overdraft revenue, banks are hiking other fees. Bankrate's survey found the average ATM fee jumped 5%, to $2.33, before your bank charges you for going out of network. The average overdraft fee grew 3%, to $30.47; and the average monthly fee on interest-bearing accounts was up 3%, to $13.04, if the balance didn't meet a minimum requirement, which is often $10,000 or more.

With more options and so much turmoil in the banking business, this is a good time to reevaluate the cost of your accounts and your own needs.

If you want a no-hassle, low-cost checking account, consider shopping for one at a regional bank, credit union or online. SunTrust Banks, Navy Federal Credit Union and Charles Schwab are among many firms still offering free-checking accounts with no minimum balance.

In most cases, credit unions and online accounts have resolved their biggest drawbacks—ATM use and paper deposits. Typically, even online checking accounts allow you to use a nationwide network of ATMs without charge or reimburse you for ATM fees. And while you may still have to mail in paper deposits now, before long, you will be able to scan them at your desk or send images in from your phone.

If changing banks is too difficult, you also can switch to a different offering at your current bank. Make sure all your family accounts are linked, so that you get credit for deposits, investments or loans with the same institution.

Just as you do with airline frequent-flier programs, you should expect more from a bank that you do a lot of business with. Good customers should qualify for perks, such as better rates on car loans or a home-equity line of credit or higher certificate of deposit and savings rates.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

I saw this in yesterday's newspaper. People need to be aware of how those in business are offsetting the costs of all the mortgage and credit defaults (i.e, bankruptcies, defaults, etc.). The costs are passed on to others. Not only does this apply to checking accounts that were once free, fees are starting to be added on to everything; I noticed on our monthly statement for our home equity line that a $50 annual fee was tacked on and I never saw that in the past. I am pulling out our original paperwork for the loan to check on that before I make any phone calls. Interest on that account has dropped way down so they are probably trying to make up lost profits in other ways. And this is with Citibank. I believe it was MSNBC did a program last night on the airlines and how fees are continually be tacked on for all passengers except those that can avoid them by being elite flyers. A person had a $154 fare between Dallas and Chicago and had 4 or so bags to check (planned in advance for the program). The fees for the baggage and other tacked on fees, even for a phone call, seat change, etc., more than doubled the fare paid so the passenger paid close to $500 for the fare. And it will get worse as businesses try to reap in cash to cover losses cause it works.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I like this thread. I posted up a thread the other day that Chase will be charging a $10 a month fee starting in February if I don't meet certain requirements, most of which are not realistic for me. I believe one of the requirements asks for either $1,500 minimum balance or $5,000. It was worded differently in different parts of the document. I can do the $1,500, but not $5,000. So I will find a bank or credit union that doesn't charge monthly. I do need the convenience of visiting my bank once a month, so online isn't feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
        I like this thread. I posted up a thread the other day that Chase will be charging a $10 a month fee starting in February if I don't meet certain requirements, most of which are not realistic for me. I believe one of the requirements asks for either $1,500 minimum balance or $5,000. It was worded differently in different parts of the document. I can do the $1,500, but not $5,000. So I will find a bank or credit union that doesn't charge monthly. I do need the convenience of visiting my bank once a month, so online isn't feasible.
        helpme2010, I thought of you when I read that article so I posted it

I have a checking account at Huntington Bank with no monthly fee, no minimum balance, and no auto-deposit requirement. Of course, who knows if it will remain free much longer...
        Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
        Attended 341 September 2010
        Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
          helpme2010, I thought of you when I read that article so I posted it

I have a checking account at Huntington Bank with no monthly fee, no minimum balance, and no auto-deposit requirement. Of course, who knows if it will remain free much longer...
          keepinitreal, thanks a lot for posting this, i found it useful. This is one cool thing about this board, so many of us can relate to each others problems.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X