Unemployment Benefits on the Chopping Block Maryland Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
    I'm glad you are all posting to this thread. I have not heard the extension went through yet. But I did take off for most of the day. I am ready to pop a bottle of my $1.99 Charles Schab wine in celebration. Regarding the 13 months, this had better be for everyone and not some weird set of loop holes. This is the time for Obama to demand some time for ALL unemployed if the republicans want their rich people tax cut. If Obama and the Dems don't demand a lengthy time extension, then this entire thing will just come up again in 3 - 4 months.

Regarding the comment about what to do after 13 months, think of it this way, it buys you more time and hopefully within that time, many people will be able to find a job, whereas there will also be a batch of people that do not. At least this helps the first batch find a job in that time, so they are covered. The batch that can't find a job, well, we extend it some more for them. It's better than kicking them to the streets, watch them lose their family, and simply die homeless.
    we were thinking the same thing about some type of "loop hole" with the additional 13 months....

who's it for...ONLY the 99ers??? or is it for ONLY the people living in a state where the unemployment rate is higher than 9.8%......

and PLEASE you want to burn the lining of your tummy.....NO 1.99...although i covet my bottle of grey goose...i'll pour you one!! LOL!!!!!!!

for you and me this is an extemely passionate situation...we are right in the middle of the mess...i know many are not so it's a different perspective. but for us, who are needing this money to live it's important...i mean don't get be wrong, we can squeeze by with the ss and pension monies...but it will be so hard i just don't know...but then again i cannot continue to count on unemployment...i know that, you know that we all know that....

we need jobs.....create some REAL jobs....that's the answer but how??? is the question....
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
      we were thinking the same thing about some type of "loop hole" with the additional 13 months....

who's it for...ONLY the 99ers??? or is it for ONLY the people living in a state where the unemployment rate is higher than 9.8%......
      It is an extension of the Federal emergency unemployment benefits program.

Their unemployment progam is in four "tiers". All unemployed can get tier 1, 2 and 3 in that order, for the amount of months for that tier. Tier 4 is only for states with relatively high unemployment (don't complain to me about the definition of "high unemployment"... I'm just stating the facts).

The "99ers" are not part of this bargain. They want a "tier 5" but that is not part of the Obama/Republican discussions. Until and unless another bill besides this one gets passed, the 99ers are SOL.
      Chap 7 Report of No Distribution 12/2/2010. I'm in the 60 day club : )

Comment

Originally posted by kel9000 View Post
        It is an extension of the Federal unemployment benefits program.

Their unemployment progam is in five "tiers". All unemployed can get tier 1, 2 and 3 in that order, for the amount of months for that tier. Tier 4 is only for states with relatively high unemployment (don't complain to me about the definition of "high unemployment"... I'm just stating the facts).

The "99ers" are not part of this bargain. They want a "tier 5" but that is not part of the Obama/Republican discussions. Until and unless another bill besides this one gets passed, the 99ers are SOL.
        really, i thought this entire extension was for the 99er's the ones losing their benefits beginning this week????

this is how it was explained on cnn.........sort of????

we are only in tier 2 personally....i'm not complaining about how they define the rate of whom it is that qualifies...as we are in a state near 12% unemployment....

they need to be clearer on this situation...once again, i'm under the impression that it is in fact for the 99ers....that's why WE were worried....
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

The way it was looking, everyone getting Federal emergency unemployment would have been allowed to finish their tier, and that was it.... no moving into the next tier.

For me, my tier 2 was done yesterday. Other peoples tier were set to expire through December and into January.

This compromise will allow people to move into the next tiers that they qualify for. And it will allow people who have run out of state benefits to move to tier 1. There is nothing for the 99ers.

I'm pretty confident that description is accurate, because my benefits for tier 2 ran out yesterday, and I have been researching it a LOT. I cannot 100% guarantee my description, but I am 99% sure that is the situation.

Comment

The way it was looking, everyone getting Federal emergency unemployment would have been allowed to finish their tier, and that was it.... no moving into the next tier.

For me, my tier 2 was done yesterday. Other peoples tier were set to expire through December and into January.

This compromise will allow people to move into the next tiers that they qualify for. And it will allow people who have run out of state benefits to move to tier 1. There is nothing for the 99ers.

I'm pretty confident that description is accurate, because my benefits for tier 2 ran out yesterday, and I have been researching it a LOT. I cannot 100% guarantee my description, but I am 99% sure that is the situation.
            kel...i'm guessing we are riding the same "bus" right now...so we'll both see where it drops us off....we are running out of tier 2 in 4 weeks....so we will see what's what...i hope.

Comment

they need to be clearer on this situation...once again, i'm under the impression that it is in fact for the 99ers....that's why WE were worried....
              I double and triple checked, I am very sure that if this bill passes, you will get to move to tier three. I also just did some research on the 99ers and confirmed that the situation is not looking good for them, but Ben Bernanke says adding a new tier for them is still on the table and is still possible.

This compromise is all about keeping the existing tier 1-4 system. And the 99ers are sure hoping it passes, because without a tier 1-4, there is no chance of a tier 5.

Comment

I double and triple checked, I am very sure that if this bill passes, you will get to move to tier three. I also just did some research on the 99ers and confirmed that the situation is not looking good for them, but Ben Bernanke says adding a new tier for them is still on the table and is still possible.

This compromise is all about keeping the existing tier 1-4 system. And the 99ers are sure hoping it passes, because without a tier 1-4, there is no chance of a tier 5.
                The democrats can demand that everyone is covered through all tiers or refuse the bill. The republicans are coming out with far more out of this deal than the democrats are. It's times like this you can bend over backwards for a compromise, but enough is enough, you have to draw the line in the sand somewhere.

Comment

I think that line should be when they create jobs. A large portion of those without jobs are people who have worked all their lives and now find that they have to live as they did when they were very young - on noodles and sauce.

There is a new non-profit here who has the right idea. They are either re-training or putting people over 50 together with companies that are looking for people with experience, hopefully in a temp-to-perm position. It's still new and I haven't checked it out yet, but I will when my temp posiiton ends after this month. I think one of the concerns about hiring mature people is the health cost that may arise. Another is the level of income they used to have. Hopefully, by going in on a temp-to-perm basis, these fears will be laid to rest and us mature people will be hired.

It's an innovative idea and one other states should look into I think.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                    I think that line should be when they create jobs. A large portion of those without jobs are people who have worked all their lives and now find that they have to live as they did when they were very young - on noodles and sauce.

There is a new non-profit here who has the right idea. They are either re-training or putting people over 50 together with companies that are looking for people with experience, hopefully in a temp-to-perm position. It's still new and I haven't checked it out yet, but I will when my temp posiiton ends after this month. I think one of the concerns about hiring mature people is the health cost that may arise. Another is the level of income they used to have. Hopefully, by going in on a temp-to-perm basis, these fears will be laid to rest and us mature people will be hired.

discouraged I completely agree with you. In fact, we all know that older citizens are indeed discriminated against, which is a sad fact. That is another disadvantage going up against someone young straight out of college who will get favorable treatment and can take the job for less money (because they don't know any better and haven't earned the higher pay yet).

I just heard on the news today that the new bill president Obama is pushing for, the compromise, does not cover the 99rs for the unemployment extension for the 13 months. This just broke my heart. As again, another crowd of unemployed are being discriminated against. Obama had better fight for this and the democrats had better stand up for this.

I refuse to stand for continued tax cuts for the richest 2% of our country putting us in debt (for those that don't need it), and screwing those at the most poorest, barely able to survive. Those that have been unemployed, especially for long periods, such as for 2 years, need the most help in this situation, not the least.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post

i would LOVE to be retrained!! we ALL know i can use a typing class...but seriously what can some of us be retained in....

i have an undergrad degee from ucb...2 masters and a national cert paralegal from bu....i'm be most happy to take any temp job...there simply are none out there..

i LOVE noodles... eat them all the time. we no longer eat dinner...but lunch it's cheaper types of foods..we are not here from money mismanagment...or for being under educated...i think this is all directly related to the "times"...it's just bad times and we need to ride it out and hope to be pointed in the best direction possible.

i would work anywhere honestly, and what am i suppose to do, lie on my resume about my education to become a typist..LOL~~ (just kidding had two throw that out since i have so many typos!)...i can do accounting, comuputer...phones...someone suggested day care because they knew how much i hate kids...LOL!!! well....thru far 4 in our immediately area have shut down...

it's just bad out there right now.
                      Last edited by tobee43; 12-10-2010, 10:51 AM. Reason: because i cna't type...LOL

Comment

i would LOVE to be retrained!! we ALL now i can use a typing class...but seriously what can some of us be retained in....

i have an undergrad degee from ucb...2 masters and a national cert paralegal from bu....i'm be most happy to take any temp job...there simply are none out there..

i LOVE noodles... eat them all the time. we no longer eat dinner...but lunch it's cheaper types of foods..we are not here from money mismanagment...or for being under educated...i think this is all directly related to the "times"...it's just bad times and we need to ride it out and hope to be pointed in the best direction possible.

i would work anywhere honestly, and what am i suppose to do, lie on my resume about my education to become a typist..LOL~~ (just kidding had two throw that out since i have so many typos!)...i can do accounting, comuputer...phones...someone suggested day care because they knew how much i hate kids...LOL!!! well....thru far 4 in our immediately area have shut down...

it's just bad out there right now.
                        tobee, your post makes me extremely angry (not at you of course, but the system). Holly crap, you have an undergrad and 2 masters and that isn't enough to make an employer jump up and down with excitement. How much is too much???

I can tell you I busted my butt off over the last 2 years to finally complete my bachelor of science. I worked my tail off to get this. I managed to do well over my career without a degree, but finally determined I had to get this to get into better quality companies. Now when someone tells me to go for my masters, I tell them to take a fricken hike. I first say, "let me first get a job, let me at least experience a few years of some normalcy again. Let me breathe a little, before you ask me to go back to a full time of stress with non-stop work/school combination for years).

So I say you have a hell of a defense against the retraining issue. When is enough, enough already. Aren't you entitled to some form of enjoyment of life or do you need 3 more degrees and then eventually the burger degree from burger university we talked about???

Comment

tobee, your post makes me extremely angry (not at you of course, but the system). Holly crap, you have an undergrad and 2 masters and that isn't enough to make an employer jump up and down with excitement. How much is too much???

I can tell you I busted my butt off over the last 2 years to finally complete my bachelor of science. I worked my tail off to get this. I managed to do well over my career without a degree, but finally determined I had to get this to get into better quality companies. Now when someone tells me to go for my masters, I tell them to take a fricken hike. I first say, "let me first get a job, let me at least experience a few years of some normalcy again. Let me breathe a little, before you ask me to go back to a full time of stress with non-stop work/school combination for years).

So I say you have a hell of a defense against the retraining issue. When is enough, enough already. Aren't you entitled to some form of enjoyment of life or do you need 3 more degrees and then eventually the burger degree from burger university we talked about???

yes, it's so frustrating...but that's why, at this point we just must be patient and hope for the best....

in the meantime we are thinking as i have mentioned before, to begin our own service type business...(which will NOT include typing or editing...LOL!!!!).

we personally feel as though we have been lost and the forgotton generation!

please don't make me go back to burger u....LOL!!!

Comment

yes, it's so frustrating...but that's why, at this point we just must be patient and hope for the best....

in the meantime we are thinking as i have mentioned before, to begin our own service type business...(which will NOT include typing or editing...LOL!!!!).

we personally feel as though we have been lost and the forgotton generation!

please don't make me go back to burger u....LOL!!!
                            The only way I will go for the masters is if an employer pays for it. And even still, I want to wait a while to at least spend some quality time with my girlfriend and family. When I work, it's a lot of hours, plus the long commute time, plus stuff around the house, groceries, cleaning, etc. Not a lot of left over time to study.

Comment

The only way I will go for the masters is if an employer pays for it. And even still, I want to wait a while to at least spend some quality time with my girlfriend and family. When I work, it's a lot of hours, plus the long commute time, plus stuff around the house, groceries, cleaning, etc. Not a lot of left over time to study.
                              i know the feeling...i got my second masters when my kids were young...worked full time sometimes two jobs. it was tough, but i had two that were going to have to go to college and we had to make money to cover the cost of that and just living!

i went back to bu to do the "retraining " thing.....hoping it would be less travel and work and stress....did paralegal work for a total of 15 years.....13 with one firm and 2 with another....20 years as a financial sector in ny....so now what????

i'm guessing burger u for sure!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X