Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment 8.8% for March 2011

04/01/2011

The March 2011 monthly unemployment figures show the official unemployment rate decreased to 8.8% and the total jobs gained were 216,000, with 28,800 of those jobs being private temporary. Total private jobs came in at +230,000 with government jobs dropping -14,000.

Those entering not in the labor force dropped by -11,000. The labor force participation rate was unchanged, 64.2%, the same as the previous two months. Those added to the civilian labor force was +160,000 and to the noncivilian population, +149,000. This is the lowest labor participation rate since March 1984. U6, or the broader unemployment measurement, dropped -0.2% to 15.7%.

Below is the nonfarm payroll, the total number of jobs, seasonally adjusted. Since the start of the great recession, declared by the NBER to be December 2007, the United States has officially lost 7.245 million jobs. That does not take into account additional jobs needed to employ the United States increased population, but does include the jobs added over the over 3 year time period.

Below is a running tally of how many official jobs permanently lost since the official start of this past recession (recall the private NBER has declared the recession over!). This is a horrific tally and notice this isn't taking into account increased population growth, which implies the United States needs to create at least 10.5 million jobs to break even from December 2007.

We get a new graph of the alternative unemployment measurement, U-6, posted below. Here you can see the incredible increase in comparison to the beginning of this broader unemployment measurement.

How can the unemployment rate decrease? Because there were 216,000 jobs plus noncivilian non-institutional population was only 149,000 this month, which is a monthly growth deceleration. Below is an annualized graph of civilian institutional population. We see a deceleration of population growth. It's from this category of people that potential workers come from.

The population to employed ratio increased 0.1%. We finally had enough jobs created to go past the monthly increased of the civilian labor force, plus the estimates for non-institutional civilian population monthly growth have significantly reduced and non-institutional civilian population is the super set of potential workers.

The civilian labor force increased by +160,000. Of those still in the civilian labor force, employed, increased by 291,000 in March, yet those unemployed dropped by -131,000. Those not in the labor force dropped by -11,000 in a month.

The civilian non-institutional population are those 16 years or older not locked up somewhere or not in the military or so sick and disabled they are in a nursing home and so on.

The increasingly low labor participation rate is now at 64.2%. If we go back to December 2007, the labor participation rate was 66%. The highest civilian labor participation rate was in January 2000, at 67.3%. What this means is there are almost 4.25 million people not be accounted for in the official unemployment rate who probably need a job and can't find one.

\small \text (03/11 Civilian Population) * (\text 12/07 labor participation rate - \text 03/12 labor participation rate) :

The employment to population ratio is now 58.5% which is 0.1% point above record lows. This isn't a structural change, such as all families decided to have a stay at home caretaker, or magically a host of people could retire early, this is people dropping out of the count.

These numbers are important because unemployment is a ratio, percentage or during a limited time period, the number of people actively looking for a job and counted. Many people are not counted in the official unemployment statistics, due to definitions, but obviously when one has more potential workers and less jobs, that metric doesn't bode well for America.

Below is the graph of the civilian non-institutional population, which is the largest super-set of the potential labor force, larger than the civilian workforce, due to those who are not looking for work, retired and so on being counted in this figure. This is why one must create jobs greater than the constant rate of jobs lost. There are more people to employ. Unemployment is a percentage, a ratio.

The BLS unemployment report counts foreign temporary guest workers as well as illegal immigrants in their U.S. labor force statistics.

One needs at least 175,000 and some estimate up to 375,000 permanent full time jobs, added each month just to keep pace with U.S. civilian workforce population growth. That's not general population, that's the group needing a job.

While this report now gives two months of solid job growth, bear in mind it's not enough. Don't let the press or the politicians trying to blind you into thinking America doesn't have a jobs crisis.

The March 2011 monthly unemployment figures show the official unemployment rate decreased to 8.8% and the total jobs gained were 216,000, with 28,800 of those jobs being private temporary. Total private jobs came in at +230,000 with government jobs dropping -14,000. Those entering not in the labor force dropped by -11,000. The labor force participation rate was unchanged,
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Thanks for posting the article, what a mess!

Comment

Thanks for the article---tobeer43---and I'd love to know where
      the turnaround is and increase in jobs---and what a pile of )#()#*($.

Comment

Originally posted by feelingnutsy View Post
        Thanks for the article---tobeer43---and I'd love to know where
        the turnaround is and increase in jobs---and what a pile of )#()#*($.
        abbey: welcome!

feelingnutsy...you and ME both would like to know where they are.

it's just like yesterday the news was saying cusomers are buying again...stores like costco, bjs and target were up last month.............duhhhhhhhh....TAX RETURN money and people are piling up on FOOD and HOUSEHOLD goods. although it was also stated bed, bath and beyond was up as well. sales always goes up when people have money to spend and tax return season is just that time of year..
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          abbey: welcome!

feelingnutsy...you and ME both would like to know where they are.

it's just like yesterday the news was saying cusomers are buying again...stores like costco, bjs and target were up last month.............duhhhhhhhh....TAX RETURN money and people are piling up on FOOD and HOUSEHOLD goods. although it was also stated bed, bath and beyond was up as well. sales always goes up when people have money to spend and tax return season is just that time of year..
          My company is hiring....

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
            My company is hiring....
            logan!!! do you think they will pay for a relocation??? now that we just closed on this house in feburary. i LOVE new hampshire, it's beautiful there.

there was also an interesting study done that was run by bu and rutgers u.....they send out over 200 resumes and those that were OLDER...not a ONE got a call for an interview...while the "younger" group with no experience got called in. interesting...fact is, personally i was told face to face i was too old by one law firm and i look darn good for my age...LOL!!!!!

down here in my county we are still at 11.8% unemployment and it's not getting any better.

Comment

Guys, take a look at this site: this is run by an economist and former BLS demographer, who charts data the way they were done before the fudges of the 80's and 90's...it's an eye opener!

http://www.shadowstats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                Guys, take a look at this site: this is run by an economist and former BLS demographer, who charts data the way they were done before the fudges of the 80's and 90's...it's an eye opener!

http://www.shadowstats.com/
                great site...and wow...now that explains it well.

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                  great site...and wow...now that explains it well.
                  Thanks!

Although it looks like the st. Louis Fed likes to use the REAL unemployment rate #'s!

Comment

Thanks for the info and link---IamOld---
                    and glad to see this---to see the reality that's going on.

Comment

Thank you feelingnutsy - the reality is grim...has been so for about 10 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
                        My company is hiring....
                        So is the company I work for and not all of them are minimum wage jobs, but management positions. In fact, the company I work for is opening several new locations this year and starting a new concept. We did real good last year, as my bonus and raise reflects. It's not all doom and gloom like some people thrive on thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                          So is the company I work for and not all of them are minimum wage jobs, but management positions. In fact, the company I work for is opening several new locations this year and starting a new concept. We did real good last year, as my bonus and raise reflects. It's not all doom and gloom like some people thrive on thinking.
                          Where I work we have quite a few folks (sadly not me) pulling down 500K plus per year...but we're not typical...

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                            Wanna pm me with company? Do they need an attorney by any chance???

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

helpmeout, i would also appreciate a pm on the company. as we both left new jersey because of not one job available. nice to hear someone is hiring. we though with all our contacts we would have heard someone was hiring up there!

so please pm's me with the company as well, both of us would love to apply.

it's only.... your statement about
                              It's not all doom and gloom like some people thrive on thinking.
                              "thinking" like this...at least for us, it not at all the case. it's been a physically and emotionally reality and it's very difficult to "thrive" on that reality of not being about to get a job. we don't thrive on the doom and gloom, unfortunately we live it. and we more "exist" than thrive.

our daughter also left new jersey approx. 9 months ago, as her husband whom has a double masters had not gotten a job in 5 years. no one would hire him, as you most likely know, the school systems in nj mandated higher salary starts for master leveled teachers. so, he tried to step out of that field, only to find for every job he applied for outside his field there were 100 applicants that had experience in that particular field and he wasn't even considered.

then we come to my son,who, as an extremely successful company based in new jersey. he can't find help at all. and has many openings......but the opening include someone that could handle lifting 50 or more pounds, can stand on their feet for 14 hours a day 7 days a week. if your over 60 that "usually" would exclude you.

additionally, if you lie on your application about your education it's a real problem if they find out...example was our son in law. he applied for a school system in one of the many nj counties, when they found out he "omitted" his masters....they told him he's never allowed to apply for a job there or any school district in their county.

once again, i would love to know ....other than my son, which maybe you work for him...LOL!!! who is hiring???

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X