Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks Are Off the Hook Again

April 9, 2011

Americans know that banks have mistreated borrowers in many ways in foreclosure cases. Among other things, they habitually filed false court documents. There were investigations. We’ve been waiting for federal and state regulators to crack down.

Prepare for a disappointment. As early as this week, federal bank regulators and the nation’s big banks are expected to close a deal that is supposed to address and correct the scandalous abuses. If these agreements are anything like the draft agreement recently published by the American Banker — and we believe they will be — they will be a wrist slap, at best. At worst, they are an attempt to preclude other efforts to hold banks accountable. They are unlikely to ease the foreclosure crisis.

All homeowners will suffer as a result. Some 6.7 million homes have already been lost in the housing bust, and another 3.3 million will be lost through 2012. The plunge in home equity — $5.6 trillion so far — hits everyone because foreclosures are a drag on all house prices.

The deals grew out of last year’s investigation into robo-signing — when banks were found to have filed false documents in foreclosure cases. The report of the investigation has not been released, but we know that robo-signing was not an isolated problem. Many other abuses are well documented: late fees that are so high that borrowers can’t catch up on late payments; conflicts of interest that lead banks to favor foreclosures over loan modifications.

The draft does not call for tough new rules to end those abuses. Or for ramped-up loan modifications. Or for penalties for past violations. Instead, it requires banks to improve the management of their foreclosure processes, including such reforms as “measures to ensure that staff are trained specifically” for their jobs. The banks will also have to adhere to a few new common-sense rules like halting foreclosures while borrowers seek loan modifications and establishing a phone number at which a person will take questions from delinquent borrowers. Some regulators have reportedly said that fines may be imposed later.

But the gist of the terms is that from now on, banks — without admitting or denying wrongdoing — must abide by existing laws and current contracts. To clear up past violations, they are required to hire independent consultants to check a sample of recent foreclosures for evidence of improper evictions and impermissible fees.

The consultants will be chosen and paid by the banks, which will decide how the reviews are conducted. Regulators will only approve the banks’ self-imposed practices. It is hard to imagine rigorous reviews, but if the consultants turn up problems, the banks are required to reimburse affected borrowers and investors as “appropriate.” It is apparently up to the banks to decide what is appropriate.

It gets worse. Consumer advocates have warned that banks may try to assert that these legal agreements pre-empt actions by the states to correct and punish foreclosure abuses. Banks may also try to argue that any additional rules by the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to help borrowers would be excessive regulation.

The least federal regulators could do is to stress that the agreements are not intended to pre-empt the states or undermine the consumer bureau. If they don’t, you can add foreclosure abuses to other bank outrages, like bailout-financed bonuses and taxpayer-subsidized profits.

__________________________________________________ _________

nice........if it were US...we'd be in jail today!!!
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-11-2011, 05:25 AM.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Tobee, it's amazing to me that this is what we've come to - for the banks, of the banks, and by the banks. It's very clear now where the power lies - clearer than ever - and that we're just...peasants.

I am reminded of a similar time in history - forgive my nostaliga - FDR's 1933 inagural address - can you all imagine such a speech today?

"In such a spirit on my part and on yours we face our common difficulties. They concern, thank God, only material things. Values have shrunk to fantastic levels; taxes have risen; our ability to pay has fallen; government of all kinds is faced by serious curtailment of income; the means of exchange are frozen in the currents of trade; the withered leaves of industrial enterprise lie on every side; farmers find no markets for their produce; and the savings of many years in thousands of families are gone. More important, a host of unemployed citizens face the grim problem of existence, and an equally great number toil with little return. Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities of the moment.

And yet our distress comes from no failure of substance. We are stricken by no plague of locusts. Compared with the perils which our forefathers conquered, because they believed and were not afraid, we have still much to be thankful for. Nature still offers her bounty and human efforts have multiplied it. Plenty is at our doorstep, but a generous use of it languishes in the very sight of the supply.

Primarily, this is because the rulers of the exchange of mankind's goods have failed, through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence, have admitted their failure, and have abdicated. Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men.

True, they have tried. But their efforts have been cast in the pattern of an outworn tradition. Faced by failure of credit, they have proposed only the lending of more money. Stripped of the lure of profit by which to induce our people to follow their false leadership, they have resorted to exhortations, pleading tearfully for restored confidence. They only know the rules of a generation of self-seekers. They have no vision, and when there is no vision the people perish.

Yes, the money changers have fled from their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore that temple to the ancient truths. The measure of that restoration lies in the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit.

Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort."

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/fdrfirstinaugural.html

And this speech in 1936....http://millercenter.org/scripps/arch...es/detail/3307

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
    April 9, 2011

Americans know that banks have mistreated borrowers in many ways in foreclosure cases. Among other things, they habitually filed false court documents. There were investigations. We’ve been waiting for federal and state regulators to crack down.

Prepare for a disappointment. As early as this week, federal bank regulators and the nation’s big banks are expected to close a deal that is supposed to address and correct the scandalous abuses. If these agreements are anything like the draft agreement recently published by the American Banker — and we believe they will be — they will be a wrist slap, at best. At worst, they are an attempt to preclude other efforts to hold banks accountable. They are unlikely to ease the foreclosure crisis.

All homeowners will suffer as a result. Some 6.7 million homes have already been lost in the housing bust, and another 3.3 million will be lost through 2012. The plunge in home equity — $5.6 trillion so far — hits everyone because foreclosures are a drag on all house prices.

The deals grew out of last year’s investigation into robo-signing — when banks were found to have filed false documents in foreclosure cases. The report of the investigation has not been released, but we know that robo-signing was not an isolated problem. Many other abuses are well documented: late fees that are so high that borrowers can’t catch up on late payments; conflicts of interest that lead banks to favor foreclosures over loan modifications.

The draft does not call for tough new rules to end those abuses. Or for ramped-up loan modifications. Or for penalties for past violations. Instead, it requires banks to improve the management of their foreclosure processes, including such reforms as “measures to ensure that staff are trained specifically” for their jobs. The banks will also have to adhere to a few new common-sense rules like halting foreclosures while borrowers seek loan modifications and establishing a phone number at which a person will take questions from delinquent borrowers. Some regulators have reportedly said that fines may be imposed later.

But the gist of the terms is that from now on, banks — without admitting or denying wrongdoing — must abide by existing laws and current contracts. To clear up past violations, they are required to hire independent consultants to check a sample of recent foreclosures for evidence of improper evictions and impermissible fees.

The consultants will be chosen and paid by the banks, which will decide how the reviews are conducted. Regulators will only approve the banks’ self-imposed practices. It is hard to imagine rigorous reviews, but if the consultants turn up problems, the banks are required to reimburse affected borrowers and investors as “appropriate.” It is apparently up to the banks to decide what is appropriate.

It gets worse. Consumer advocates have warned that banks may try to assert that these legal agreements pre-empt actions by the states to correct and punish foreclosure abuses. Banks may also try to argue that any additional rules by the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to help borrowers would be excessive regulation.

The least federal regulators could do is to stress that the agreements are not intended to pre-empt the states or undermine the consumer bureau. If they don’t, you can add foreclosure abuses to other bank outrages, like bailout-financed bonuses and taxpayer-subsidized profits.

nice........if it were US...we'd be in jail today!!!

Comment

truly gave me the chills to read that Iam.

the sad reality to me, is where is the leadership??? if i heard those words or maybe some facsimile of them yesterday, today or even tomorrow, just maybe, i would feel hope again.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        truly gave me the chills to read that Iam.

the sad reality to me, is where is the leadership??? if i heard those words or maybe some facsimile of them yesterday, today or even tomorrow, just maybe, i would feel hope again.
        Tobee, I am a born pessimist, and I see no light on the horizon...I often draw imperfect historical parallels, and I feel like this is 1929/1930...and we can all remember what came shortly after the Depression...Churchill had a great phrase when WW2 began: he said "this is not the end; it's not even the beginning of the end; but it is the end of the beginning." I fear that we've not even begun...

Comment

well, one thing i do believe is certain.

we all need to adjust to the "change" and it's big. our lives will never be the same. and why, it makes me feel guilty, but it's not that i'm looking for "blame", but our society or the one i was raised in was viewed as; we are suppose to be "better" or do better than our parents.

as a result, we were the keep up with the jones, the smiths and the thomas's....or at least that is what it seemed to me. if your neighbor got a pool, of course, you needed a better one. terrible.

i had relatively "small" goals, like a roof over my head and a white picket fence! LOL!!! i just didn't have an idea it was going to cost 700k....RoFL!!!

we have adjusted our lives, we have downsized and for the first time really are saving money. (we did via our 401's etc.), but it was a type of forced savings, now we are doing it ourselves and i believe for the first time, truly happy and feel our bounty is plentiful.

the only point of contention i really have, are these banks and those ripping us off and just getting away with it. ok...i'm humbled now...so what??? are they?? no, they have MORE of our hard earned money, they have MORE control of our lives by raising our basic costs of food and gas...it's going to be an up hill battle for certain.

Comment

Hi---tobee---especially the gas---egad.

Comment

Originally posted by feelingnutsy View Post
              Hi---tobee---especially the gas---egad.
              sure is bad here....i heard on the news the "average" price per gallon of regular is $3.75 and our area is $3.74 and the food costs have skyrocketed. yet we didn't even get a COLA on our meager pension check this year.

Comment

I was shocked when I saw 3.88 yesterday after paying 3.74 just a few days ago. Kick myself because I didn't want to spend over 20 so only have 3/4 tank. Should have filled it up at 'those' prices.

Also am very, very glad that I came across this forum when I did and learned to buy groceries and staples rather than stockpile what money I did have.

I am now semi-prepared for quite a while between the freezer, paper goods, etc.

Comment

We have no real leadership today. The best one can do is to be aware of the new "rules" of the game and set your strategy accordingly.
                  Anyone who thinks things will get better in the near term is deluding themselves. No great plans to restore the middle class are in the works.

Things will get worse before they get better.

When enough people have nothing left to lose, that's when change will be forced on our so called leaders. We haven't reached the tipping point yet, but it's getting closer.
                  All posts are opinion only- I am not an attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by sofarsogood2 View Post
                    We have no real leadership today. The best one can do is to be aware of the new "rules" of the game and set your strategy accordingly.
                    Anyone who thinks things will get better in the near term is deluding themselves. No great plans to restore the middle class are in the works.

Things will get worse before they get better.

When enough people have nothing left to lose, that's when change will be forced on our so called leaders. We haven't reached the tipping point yet, but it's getting closer.
                    we can't cry over spilled what we thought was rip offs that turned out to be the "norm". it truly is a sad state of being..what does anyone expect? i'm really tired sometimes of these positive untrue attitudes that only exist in a cartoon...or somewhere else, that i certainly am unaware of?

Comment

The banks were NEVER on the hook to begin with...

Good luck to us all.
                      No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post

Good luck to us all.
                        you are surely correct on that one...it's US that's on the hook, line and sinker with our tax dollars paying there way so they can find another way to get more to squeeze out from us. it's such a shame.

shark...you're right...good luck to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post

Good luck to us all.
                          you are surely correct on that one...it's US that's on the hook, line and sinker with our tax dollars paying there way so they can find another way to get more to squeeze out from us. it's such a shame.

shark...you're right...good luck to us all.

Comment

Tobee, what an important post. This is exactly what happens, and has happened, throughout history. Whether there is any action at this point that can reverse the corrupt acts of these highly-placed white-collar criminals who rape and pillage the rest of us is the question. Apparently they are so entrenched and in control of, not just this country's economy, but the the world's, that revolutions, tyranny and dictatorship are the only things that will change it. Everyone will suffer tremendously in the ages to come if something is not done soon to return to some semblance of true justice, but I am not optimistic.

The words of another Nobel economist in the forum 'nakedcapitalism.com' ring true:
                            "...we cannot solve the economic crisis unless we throw the criminals who committed fraud in jail. And Nobel prize winning economist George Akerlof has demonstrated that failure to punish white collar criminals – and instead bailing them out- creates incentives for more economic crimes and further destruction of the economy in the future...Nobel prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz just agreed. As Stiglitz told Yahoo’s Daily Finance on October 20th:
                            This is a really important point to understand from the point of view of our society. The legal system is supposed to be the codification of our norms and beliefs, things that we need to make our system work. If the legal system is seen as exploitative, then confidence in our whole system starts eroding. And that’s really the problem that’s going on."

Comment

Sorry, compute glitch caused double posting.
                              Last edited by jjim120; 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X