top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the Edge of Bankruptcy . . . the Postal Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Edge of Bankruptcy . . . the Postal Service?

May 23, 2011

Summary

The Postal Service is near insolvency. Caused by diminished business, strong, but insufficient costcutting, and statutory financial obligations, by next year it may not be able to keep functioning. This article addresses why, what can be done, and concludes with where USPS will be in the absence of, in particular, congressional relief.

Analysis

An arm of the US Government may be unable to pay its employees and come “grinding to a halt” sometime in 2012. That's what the Postmaster General told the Senate last week. Unless Congress acts, Postal Service cash flow will not meet payroll. The Internet and the recession will have succeeded where “neither snow nor rain . . . nor gloom of night” ever has: staying “couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

Mail volume has dropped precipitously, overwhelming admirable costcutting, and obligations to “prefund” pensions and retiree health care load $billions onto USPS costs. The Service receives next to no taxpayer funds. More than 99% of its funding comes from postage. A $1.1 trillion industry, with eight million workers, depends upon it.

Mail for many has become optional. Any increase in prices causes a spike in an already steady diversion to the Internet. In the past, the Service would react to a shortfall by raising prices. Today, it cannot. It has made great efforts with its employees to cut costs, but remains heavily overbuilt. With an obligation for “universal service,” while confronting opposition to closing facilities, it has been nearly impossible to reduce its infrastructure.

USPS also must prefund health care for its retirees by $5.5 billion annually. Hardly any other entity prefunds at all. Moreover, USPS has overpaid its pension funds by at least $57 billion, according to independent experts.

USPS must receive relief from its retiree obligations. One way would be to return overpaid pension funding to cover prefunding retirees health care. Legislative reforms must also permit easier revamping of a network built for a different era. The Service must have latitude to close underperforming buildings and streamline its system.

Personnel constitute 80% of USPS costs. Any cost savings effort cannot ignore that. Yet, in negotiations with unions this year, one resulted in little immediate savings and the other is at impasse. An organization in financial extremis requires an extraordinary joint effort not evident in the results to save the institution and jobs.

Without change, USPS will, as soon as September 30, be technically insolvent. Real insolvency, though, will occur next year. USPS was charged to act like a business. It would be grim and ironic if the way it ended up being most like a business was in need of Chapter 11.

GLG is the World’s Insight Network. Make your decisions clear and turn information into actionable insight using the right minds from our expert network.
    Filed/discharged/closed Chapter 7 in 2010!

when one reads this and just takes a moment to think about it, i certainly know, i don't use the post office like i use to.

i pay most ALL bills on line via our bank, paypal or auto pay. i usually use UPS for boxes to the kid's since most of the time it is far cheaper. i know our local post office is now closed on saturdays...and closes on many days at 3! i remember the days were they were open from 7 am to 5 pm and then saturday until 2. with all the competition out there like UPS and FED-X...and even others now, they need to be more like a business and i just don't think they are staying competitive enough??
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Right, but also then we have to ask ourselves - is it a business or a public utility? Where else can I send a letter for 44 cents...pay bills because of no online access :-) for that much? They - unlike Fedex, etc., have to provide a UNIVERSAL service.

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
      when one reads this and just takes a moment to think about it, i certainly know, i don't use the post office like i use to.

i pay most ALL bills on line via our bank, paypal or auto pay. i usually use UPS for boxes to the kid's since most of the time it is far cheaper. i know our local post office is now closed on saturdays...and closes on many days at 3! i remember the days were they were open from 7 am to 5 pm and then saturday until 2. with all the competition out there like UPS and FED-X...and even others now, they need to be more like a business and i just don't think they are staying competitive enough??

Comment

Originally posted by IHateToBeEmo View Post
        Yet, in negotiations with unions this year, one resulted in little immediate savings and the other is at impasse.
        If the USPS can't even fire a mailman that poops in somebody's yard, you know the union has too much power. Yes, he's back at work delivering mail. The unions will be the downfall of the USPS.
        Filed/discharged/closed Chapter 7 in 2010!

Comment

If the USPS can't even fire a mailman that poops in somebody's yard, you know the union has too much power. Yes, he's back at work delivering mail. The unions will be the downfall of the USPS.
          I wouldn't say that - I would say antiquated management and the inability to deal with the POLITICAL fact that the USPS is not a business but a public utility - look at the privatized mail service is the Netherlands - it is a living breathing disaster.

Comment

I agree with IHatetoBeEmo on the union bit....such an outdated archaic system...I've had A LOT of interaction with various unions in my job...it's a load of red tape and most of the time absolute nonsense.....

As far as the Post Office going out of business...well, they have only ever brought me bad mail lately...certified letters, demands for payments etc....so I'll be glad to see them go...HA HA HA....I'm kidding people! Actually I have only gotten junk mail since filing, it's been quite nice.
            Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Congress controls the operation of the Post Office. They will not let the Postal Service to restructure the way they need to due to constituent outcry. The Postal Service provides a needed service that guarantees mail service to every nook and cranny address in the U.S. including remote regions in Alaska. We just need to recognize it.

Comment

Thats right..always blame the union for ills of a firm and entity. Last I heard, union firm UPS is doing quite well.

Originally posted by disconapper View Post
                I agree with IHatetoBeEmo on the union bit....such an outdated archaic system...I've had A LOT of interaction with various unions in my job...it's a load of red tape and most of the time absolute nonsense.....

As far as the Post Office going out of business...well, they have only ever brought me bad mail lately...certified letters, demands for payments etc....so I'll be glad to see them go...HA HA HA....I'm kidding people! Actually I have only gotten junk mail since filing, it's been quite nice.

Comment

Do you have a link for that or did you make that up? No wonder why our standard of living has gone down the hill. Americans always voting against their interests.

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                    Thats right..always blame the union for ills of a firm and entity. Last I heard, union firm UPS is doing quite well.
                    Exactly - it is a public universal utility!!!

Comment

Do you have a link for that or did you make that up? No wonder why our standard of living has gone down the hill. Americans always voting against their interests.
                      You're quite right - and sadly, it isn't made up - if you look at date from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (lots and lots of data)...here are some nice summaries:

http://www.epi.org/publications/entry
                      /a_lost_decade_poverty_and_income_trends

Also, take a look here: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income /data/statemedian/index.html (yes...median income :-)

ANd click on the LAST/BOTTOM excel file on the page - Median Household Income by State - 3-Year Averages [XLS - 69k]

For example, the 3 year average median income for the US 2007-2009 was about $50K; the same 3 year average median for the US in 1984-1986 was $45K - so in about 20 years, the average US median income increased by a whopping...five thousand dollars.

Comment

I asked for the link of the mailman pooping on ones yard. Yes, the links paint a bleak outlook. But who's fault is that? American workers continue to vote against their interest.

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                        You're quite right - and sadly, it isn't made up - if you look at date from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (lots and lots of data)...here are some nice summaries:

http://www.epi.org/publications/entry
                        /a_lost_decade_poverty_and_income_trends

Also, take a look here: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income /data/statemedian/index.html (yes...median income :-)

ANd click on the LAST/BOTTOM excel file on the page - Median Household Income by State - 3-Year Averages [XLS - 69k]

For example, the 3 year average median income for the US 2007-2009 was about $50K; the same 3 year average median for the US in 1984-1986 was $45K - so in about 20 years, the average US median income increased by a whopping...five thousand dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                          Exactly - it is a public universal utility!!!
                          United Parcel Service.

Comment

I asked for the link of the mailman pooping on ones yard. Yes, the links paint a bleak outlook. But who's fault is that? American workers continue to vote against their interest.
                            Sorry - can't supply the poop link :-)

And yes, I agree with you.

Comment

United Parcel Service.
                              UPS not quite - because it doesn't go everywhere for the same price.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X