Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt Collectors Ask to Be Paid a Little Respect

June 12, 2011

As a longtime debt collector, Lesllie Rogers has been routinely insulted, pummeled with obscenities, crudely propositioned and threatened with violence by the people she calls.

“They want you to feel as small and insignificant as possible,” said Ms. Rogers, who works for a collection agency in Rochester, Minn. “The guy who sits across from me just was threatened with getting his legs and arms cut off.”

Debt collectors like Ms. Rogers are well aware that they are not a sympathetic lot. But now they are saying enough is enough. The trade association that represents them is engaged in an unlikely charm offensive to change their lowly image, while also trying to shape the rules that govern them as they face the prospect of a tough new regulator.

Debt collectors as human beings? It could be their toughest commission yet.

These are boom times for collection agencies, which have been swamped with work as many Americans gorged on debt and then struggled to repay it. But the industry has come under fire for pushing too hard. Last year, 140,036 complaints were filed against debt collectors, a 17 percent increase over the previous year, according to the Federal Trade Commission.

The complaints told of menacing late-night phone calls and threats of jail time or confiscating a house. In one instance a jury awarded a Texas man $1.5 million after a debt collector left voicemail messages using vulgarities and racial slurs.

Those are the exceptions, the industry’s trade association says.

Indeed, Mark Neeb, the association’s incoming president, says that most debt collectors are the “salt of the earth” and are tired of being defined by the worst members of their profession. And it is they who are feeling harassed.

“There really ought to be a law on how consumers behave towards debt collectors,” said Mr. Neeb, whose employees routinely use aliases on the phone to protect their identity from hostile debtors.

After several years in which the overzealous tactics of debt collectors have been the focus of regulators and media alike, ACA International has beefed up its lobbying operation in Washington to pursue a wish list of laws and regulations that it would like changed.

At the urging of the organization, debt collectors are traveling to Washington and state capitals, hoping to convince regulators, legislators and attorneys general that they are decent people who are doing an important but thankless job.

To more fully explain the profession to the public, the association, ACA International, has set up a Web site called Ask Doctor Debt that lets consumers ask questions in a “Dear Abby” style format.

The mission has taken on some urgency. Next month debt collectors will come under the supervision of a hard-nosed new regulator, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Until now, the profession had been regulated by a relatively toothless Federal Trade Commission, which had the ability to crack down on rogue debt collectors but could not write rules and regulations for the industry.

The new consumer bureau will have that authority, and it will share policing duties with the F.T.C. The new agency “has the potential to have a huge impact on our industry,” Mr. Neeb said.

Foremost on the debt collectors’ agenda is updating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which was passed in 1977, the era of letters and landlines, and has not been changed much since. ACA International, based here in suburban Minneapolis, wants its members to have the ability to contact debtors using modern technology, including e-mail, cellphones and autodialers, all of which create problems under the current rules.

“Any functional difference between a cellphone and a residential landline has been eroded,” the association says, in a blueprint of its proposed changes.

In addition, ACA International wants regulators to specify precise language that debt collectors may use when leaving a voice message, something that is now the subject of thousands of lawsuits each year against the industry.

“We can’t help consumers with their financial problems if we can’t get ahold of them,” Mr. Neeb said.

The concern, with both e-mails and voice messages, is that a third party could see or hear the message.

A common criticism of debt collectors is that they pursue debts with little paperwork to back up their claim. As a result, the association is recommending that the law be amended so that creditors would have to maintain account information on their customers for at least seven years.

The debt collectors have found some allies, at least on some issues. Rodney L. Davis, a senior vice president at the Better Business Bureau, agreed that the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act needed to be updated to reflect changes in technology. And Margot Freeman Saunders, counsel at the National Consumer Law Center, said the group would be willing to discuss some of the proposed changes if ACA International supported increasing the amount of statutory damages for violating the act.

The penalty has remained at $1,000 since the law was passed, and Ms. Saunders maintains that it has little deterrent value. Mark Schiffman, ACA International’s spokesman, said the issue was still being negotiated.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau declined to comment. Thomas Pahl, the F.T.C.’s assistant director for financial practices, said ACA International’s success might depend on how well the group can show that consumers would benefit from the proposed changes, as well as debt collectors.

Third-party debt collectors are typically hired by a store, cellphone company or a bank, to collect a debt that has become delinquent. Often, huge portfolios of delinquent debt are sold to a debt buyer for pennies on the dollar; the debt buyer, in turn, may hire a collection agency, or a law firm specializing in debt collection.

The leaders of ACA International said they supported efforts by regulators to crack down on debt collectors who do not follow the rules, however embarrassing it might be. The top complaints last year were for calling repeatedly, misrepresenting the amount or status of the debt, and failing to send consumers a required notice about the debt and their rights.

Linda Russell, the owner of a collection agency based in Wyoming called Collection Center, said it was simply more effective to work with consumers, “rather than yelling and swearing.”

But the decorum needs to flow both ways, said Ms. Rogers, the Minnesota collector whom debtors know as Melissa Burg, a name she pulled from the phonebook.

“Instead of playing games,” she said, “just admit that you don’t have money and we’ll go from there.”

Filed/discharged/closed Chapter 7 in 2010!

Not really all that sympathetic.

Comment

There are two sides to this issue.

1. You have the abusive debt collector (which is often the case) that gets abused in return and in like kind.

2. You have the polite debt collector (which does happen), that gets abused, threatened, etc.

People need to understand that 99% of the calls are recorded when dealing with debt collectors. If you state to the collector that you're going to go to their office and (insert graphic description here) do this to them, you just committed a terroristic threat, you are on tape doing so, and have just committed a felony subject to 5 years in federal prison.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I can see both sides to this, as I've had both nice and nasty calls since prior to filing.

One collector was absolutely genuine, understanding that a sudden job loss of nearly $100K a year does not result in another job of equal pay as well as that food/medicine/roof over our heads was priority #1; she took us off her list, told us "God bless you and you're in my prayers for a new job to be found soon. This economy is very hard". Wish they all could be like she was........

Now the other collector was a piece of crap that deserved to burn in hell with bleach being poured onto him whilst burning as from the get-go before I even said anything other than "yes this is she..." he went into a screaming / insult fit immediately. He never did call back... wonder if it was because I asked him if he could hear this (pressing air horn cannister (no not into the phone...) and that if he ever called me again uttering such things I would put it to the phone and he wouldnt be able to hear for quite some time........ I promptly sent a C&D letter to his "firm" - which ironically turned into our AP filing against him for BK violations. He was an ass in court as well

I have no tolerance for bullies -

Comment

And frogger that is why I have little sympathy or belief that they get "threatened."

Originally posted by frogger View Post
          There are two sides to this issue.

1. You have the abusive debt collector (which is often the case) that gets abused in return and in like kind.

2. You have the polite debt collector (which does happen), that gets abused, threatened, etc.

People need to understand that 99% of the calls are recorded when dealing with debt collectors. If you state to the collector that you're going to go to their office and (insert graphic description here) do this to them, you just committed a terroristic threat, you are on tape doing so, and have just committed a felony subject to 5 years in federal prison.

Comment

The thing is that they already are using auto-dialers. What this is all about my friends is an industry that is getting larger and larger as the economy and people sink further and further into the muck. What this is about is to take our rights away that were won in the 70's- FDCPA, FCRA, etc. Period.

Look, I understand - especially now - that people needs jobs, and if someone needs a job, and all that's available is a bill collector, well, it's a job. BUT like any profession, it attracts certain kinds of people.

Comment

I used to run a call center-outbound sales and I hired a gentleman that used to own his own debt collecting firm...some of the stories he described to me where outrageous. He used to reward his employees by taking them to court to watch the person they collected on, or attempted to collect on, go through judgment hearings etc...and they celebrated, I never could wrap my brain around that one.

He and I never did see eye to eye, and I eventually let him go.

Surprisingly enough, we were outbound sales, and he was very weak on the phone, guess it was easier for him to bully behind the mask of the phone then try and be charismatic with a sale.
              Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Right - there is a HUGE difference between sales and bullying.

Originally posted by disconapper View Post
                I used to run a call center-outbound sales and I hired a gentleman that used to own his own debt collecting firm...some of the stories he described to me where outrageous. He used to reward his employees by taking them to court to watch the person they collected on, or attempted to collect on, go through judgment hearings etc...and they celebrated, I never could wrap my brain around that one.

He and I never did see eye to eye, and I eventually let him go.

Surprisingly enough, we were outbound sales, and he was very weak on the phone, guess it was easier for him to bully behind the mask of the phone then try and be charismatic with a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by IHateToBeEmo View Post
                  “We can’t help consumers with their financial problems if we can’t get ahold of them,” Mr. Neeb said.
                  Riiiiiiiiiiight. That's why they call in the first place... to help people with their financial problems. Given the sheer number of debt collectors and their selfless altruistic motives, it's a wonder that bankruptcy even exists in this country.
                  OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Hmm, perhaps it is time that there were some updates.

1) Increase the FDCPA violation amount form $1000 to $20000.

2) Don't have a 2.

I do have to say that most of the CA's and JDB's I have dealt with have been cordial, but not necessarily pleasant. The worst of the lot for me have been the CA's who call on behalf of some of the Attorney Collection firms. Still, a calm discussion requesting written information always seems the best option for me.

In terms of "threatening" a CA or anyone else over the phone, I have to wonder just how willing any local city, county, or state attorney is to indict some local citizen or consumer. With budgets so tight in Oregon most county jails have very few pods open. They prioritize violent offenders, not folks who merely threaten. I'm reading that this is not limited to Oregon. The real cost of prosecution and public defense add to county, state, and national debts, not the other way around.

I have to believe that with the coming storm of US debt issues even the US will need to truly prioritize what constitutes an immediate threat to the country. Verbally threatening a CA will probably not be on top of the lists that sends the Black-Ops to your door. LOL.

Comment

wow. instead of playing games just admit i do not have money? . lol. well i do not have money and quit scaring my 80 year old grandma on the phone.

Comment

I'm neither sympathetic nor empathetic! Of the few that have called me recently, they have been nothing but rude, demanding, insulting and downright nasty with me! One of them yelled at me and hung up because I told her that she didn't know that she was violating a court order! When I called back, she answered and again stated "don't waste my time" and hung up. On the third callback, she was a little more calm, still tried to "collect" and I told her that if she didn't know how to deal with bankruptcies, I highly suggested that she shut up and put someone else on the phone; she did!

I don't think they like it when you argue back with them. I guess I'm saying that I have never ever met a "nice" debt collector. All of them have been demeaning and love to belittle the debtor! Having been discharged for over a year now (yes, just passed year one in May!), it's nice that I'm on the offensive now!

I have no sympathy!

You have to remember that there are really two types of collectors. Those that are just "assigned" to collect the debt for a bank/creditor. These tend to be nicer since they don't "own" the debt. When you say that you have no money, they just mark it as noncollectable and send it "back" to the owner of the debt!

However, the evil ones are those that have purchased the debt! They are truly the worst at this and this may be because there is more incentives given to those that work for Junk Debt Buyers (JDBs), than those that work in third-party collections.
                        Last edited by justbroke; 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

June 12, 2011

“Instead of playing games,” she said, “just admit that you don’t have money and we’ll go from there.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/bu...ollect.html?hp
                          Riiigggghhht! This is how the conversation goes if you admit you don't have money...:

"Do you have a 401K plan you can take money from?"

"Do you have a life insurance policy?"

"Ask your family members for a loan!"

"Do you pay your mortgage? Then why not pay us??"

"I will mark this file as a 'refusal to pay'!"

And those are just the nicer responses...
                          Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
                          I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

June 12, 2011

Foremost on the debt collectors’ agenda is updating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which was passed in 1977, the era of letters and landlines, and has not been changed much since. ACA International, based here in suburban Minneapolis, wants its members to have the ability to contact debtors using modern technology, including e-mail, cellphones and autodialers, all of which create problems under the current rules.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/bu...ollect.html?hp
                            I hope this never passes.

These collectors have not only been calling my cell phone, but they somehow - and I have NO idea how - got my sister's cell phone number and she lives on the other side of the country.

These calls use up cell phone minutes and everyone knows how expensive it is to go over the minutes allotted on your cell phone plan. I budget my minutes so carefully, make almost all my calls on weekends and evenings.

As far as emails, I can't even imagine if they started emailing my family members. There is no way for them to know exactly who they are emailing, and if someone had a vindictive family member that collection email could get forwarded everywhere and end up all over the Internet.

Comment

The best strategy for the debtor is to refuse to talk to debt collectors. It is not illegal to refuse to pay debts, and the reasons a debtor is not paying the debt is actually none of anyone else's business. The collectors will then go about their business in the manner prescribed by law, and the debtor will respond in kind.

There is nothing you can do when collectors call employers or relatives and friends. Debtors just have to 'fess up when the cat is out of the bag and then deal with it.

This will ultimately liberate debt collectors from the tyranny of rude debtors.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X