Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital One buys ING!!!

Jun 17, 2011

Capital One Financial Corp. (COF) Chief Executive Officer Richard D. Fairbank, who’s making the largest U.S. banking acquisition since 2008, has built the Virginia- based credit-card lender into one of the nation’s biggest consumer-financial companies.

Fairbank, Capital One’s CEO since it became an independent company in 1994, announced the purchase of ING Direct USA for $9 billion yesterday. The deal, following the $14.6 billion purchase of North Fork Bancorp in 2006, would make Capital One the sixth-largest bank by deposits, up from seventh.

“This is empire building at its best,” said Michael Taiano, a Sandler O’Neill & Partners LP analyst in New York, who added that his view of the deal improved amid speculation that Capital One will acquire other assets to go with ING’s deposits. “There is some status that comes with being a big bank.”

The deposit boost may help McLean, Virginia-based Capital One, which derives more than half its revenue from credit cards, to diversify its funding base and acquire a portfolio of assets, analysts said. Capital One will pay $6.2 billion in cash and $2.8 billion in stock, giving ING a 9.9 percent ownership stake, the companies said in statements.

“I would suspect this would tie together with an acquisition of a loan portfolio,” said Jonathan Hatcher, a credit strategist at Jefferies Group Inc. in New York who covers financial companies.
    Fairbank’s Acquisitions

Fairbank transformed Capital One through a succession of deals. The purchase of North Fork added more than $35 billion in deposits and catapulted the lender into the top 10 U.S. banks. He also made a $4.9 billion acquisition of Hibernia Corp. in 2005 and in 2008 agreed to a $525 million deal for Chevy Chase Bank. With the ING purchase, Capital One gains access to 7 million customers.

“Capital One is one of a handful of banks that’s breaking away from the pack by building a very large customer base,” Fairbank said in the conference call. “ING Direct offers a dramatically more efficient way for us to get national reach and establish a strong national banking franchise.”

The acquisition may also allow the company to tap into what it calls a younger and more affluent clientele. ING uses the Internet to attract customers and has just seven U.S. outlets, which are modeled after coffee shops, according to its website. The ING Direct Cafes provide coffee, free Internet access and baristas who know about the bank’s offerings.
    Vikings on TV

“Capital One has been successful at developing the brand, with TV commercials” and other strategies, Hatcher said. “ING made mistakes because they had to generically deploy the funds. They didn’t have all the lending angles that Capital One has.”

Capital One’s television ad campaign features Vikings in commercial settings using the bank’s card and asking viewers, “What’s in your wallet?”

Fairbank is “an ambitious fellow,” said Gary Townsend, president of Hill-Townsend Capital LLC in Chevy Chase, Maryland, who manages $50 million, including Capital One shares. “He has had vision.”

He’s also made some missteps. Fairbank acquired North Fork and its home-lending unit, GreenPoint Mortgage, at the tail end of a five-year boom in home sales. In August 2007, the bank shut GreenPoint, triggering charges of about $860 million.

“He can obviously make decisions and has not made an acquisition as bad as say, Wachovia buying Golden West, but he has still managed to put the company at significant risk at times,” Townsend said. “I don’t think they really understood North Fork when they bought it.”

Stable Funding?

Townsend said Capital One may be overestimating the attractiveness of the ING deposits, some of which aren’t considered a stable source of funding. Capital One said customers left ING at an annual rate of 5.8 percent between 2007 and 2009, lower than the national average of 16.2 percent.

“Because of the low cost and sticky nature of the deposits, the ING Direct acquisition economics work with no need for loan growth beyond our existing plans,” Fairbank said in the conference call.

Any past mistakes haven’t weighed on the stock this year. The shares have gained 15 percent in 2011, compared with a 10 percent decline for the 24-company KBW Bank Index. Capital One climbed 2.4 percent to $49 yesterday on the New York Stock Exchange following reports it was close to announcing a deal.

The stock performance has helped Fairbank, who is paid with shares and options. He hasn’t received a salary, bonus, retirement contributions “or other more traditional forms of compensation” since 1997, company spokeswoman Julie Rakes said in a January 2010 e-mail. Fairbank received compensation worth $14.9 million in 2010, according to a filing from the Securities and Exchange Commission. Rakes didn’t return an e-mail seeking an interview with Fairbank.

“He started from scratch,” Taiano said. “There have been opportunities to sell along the way but I think he thinks there is more upside by staying independent.”

Last edited by AngelinaCat; 06-17-2011, 06:05 PM. Reason: To bring in line with the very specific formatting rules required for this board. OP, please note.

wow...and only for 9 billion...what a DEAL!!!!!!!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I'm sure the almost 3 billion they received from the taxpayer helped :-)

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
        I'm sure the almost 3 billion they received from the taxpayer helped :-)
        yeah, right...our tax dollar at work and we're talking cutting ss, medicare, medicaid...NO...let's buy ING for 9 billion instead!! and, so the story goes the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the middle class is gone forever!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Exactly!!!!!!!

Comment

This sounds like a huge waste of money.
            What are they actually buying? No branches, just a name on the internet.
            Good luck with that.
            Great deal for whoever's selling.
            filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Right Catleg - they're buying - so the news says - $89 billion in deposits all for $9billion.

ING is a Dutch based worldwide banking concern - maybe they're getting the heck out of the US....

Comment

I'll bet ING has some losses on Greece, Portugal, etc. so they need to sell what they can.
                filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Right Catleg - and they're now selling to the same country that sold them the toxic cr#p.

Comment

I wonder if Hot Linda will be getting a raise
                    Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                      I wonder if Hot Linda will be getting a raise
                      What about Andy and Greg??? :-)

Comment

Well, the scary part might be the realization that ING direct oversees more than a few retirement/tax-deferred portfolio accounts for 401, 403 (b), 457, etc type of accounts. I can "almost envision" C1 leveraging those accounts for its own gains. This news should have been made more public with a deeper discussion of what it is that C1 bought.

Comment

Treehugger is right about Cap One buying such would be a disaster. However, this is for the retail bank only - ING holds institutional investments much closer to the vest, so to speak!

Comment

Wait, if Cap one buys ING does that mean that if someone owes money to Cap One and is a current depositor of ING that Cap One could now seize there accounts to satisfy that debt. I ask because I have an online Savings account with ING (Orange Saver) and my wife has a credit card with Cap One that has been charged off ????
                            I know that it will take some time for the regulators to approve and finalize the sale so its for sure not eminent but still could possibly be something to think of.
                            All that said I will be closing my ING accounts if Cap One has anything to do with them as I want no part of doing business with Cap One ever again.

Comment

Wanabe - judging by the fact that when they bought Southfork Savings in NY they rebranded it Cap One, the same with Chevy Chase in the DC area, I expect once the deal closes they'll do the same with ING. So if you owe $$ to Cap One look for an alternative!!!

Originally posted by WanabeFree View Post
                              Wait, if Cap one buys ING does that mean that if someone owes money to Cap One and is a current depositor of ING that Cap One could now seize there accounts to satisfy that debt. I ask because I have an online Savings account with ING (Orange Saver) and my wife has a credit card with Cap One that has been charged off ????
                              I know that it will take some time for the regulators to approve and finalize the sale so its for sure not eminent but still could possibly be something to think of.
                              All that said I will be closing my ING accounts if Cap One has anything to do with them as I want no part of doing business with Cap One ever again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X