Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obama to extend help for unemployed homeowners to 12 months

July 6, 2011

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is trying to make it easier for homeowners who lose their jobs to keep their homes.

The administration today will announce that two programs providing unemployed homeowners a few months' forbearance on their mortgages will be extended to 12 months, said three administration officials speaking anonymously because the program has not been announced. Thousands of homeowners could benefit from the additional time, although not all jobless homeowners will be eligible.

The action is being taken as part of the administration's effort to help prevent foreclosures while unemployment remains above 9% and the economy struggles to rebound. In May, 6.2 million people — 45% of the unemployed — had been without work for at least 27 weeks. New figures are due out Friday.

President Obama said Wednesday that housing has been the most difficult problem to solve as the nation struggles to recover from its worst recession in decades.

"The continuing decline in the housing market is something that hasn't bottomed out as quickly as we expected, and so that's continued to be a big drag on the economy," he said during a Twitter town hall forum at the White House. "We've had to revamp our housing program several times to try to help people stay in their homes and try to start lifting home values up.

"We're going back to the drawing board, talking to banks, try to put some pressure on them to work with people who have mortgages to see if we can make further adjustments, modify loans more quickly," Obama said.

The Federal Housing Administration began offering four months of mortgage relief to unemployed homeowners nearly a decade ago. Banks and mortgage brokers participating in the program must comply with the new standard. The Home Affordable Modification Program has been offering three months of relief to the unemployed since last year. Those who service mortgages under the program are expected to follow its voluntary guidelines.

To qualify for mortgage forbearance, unemployed people must be looking for work. Those who can afford to pay a portion of their loans must do so.

The revised programs are intended to be a win-win for borrowers and banks, which can avoid having more homes go into foreclosure by giving borrowers more time to pay.

Last edited by AngelinaCat; 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM. Reason: To bring it in line with the specific formatting required for this board. OP, please note.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

i just saw a story about this cat!

one lady had Chase bank and they wouldn't let her accept the monies from the governement. she went to the media for help and FINALLY Chase allowed her 12k in help. but it was like pulling teeth with the bank!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Yes I'm sure there is less here than meets the eye.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
        Yes I'm sure there is less here than meets the eye.
        well, i don't remember the entire story, but, it was something about Chase saying the woman who owed the house had her father's name on the deed or something really really odd. anyway, the media got after Chase and then finally reversed their decision and accepted the money.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Whoooo hoooo!!! Mailing a copy of the article out along with my 'downsizing' 11/09 papers to BankUnited tomorrow as a response to being 60 days late!!! ....certified of course! HOPEFULLY the Bank will comply with the President! ....or the judge will agree with him!!!!

STILL no full time work........

Thank you again for posting!

Comment

Does the loan have to be FHA in order to get the 12 months of help???? Anyone know??? Do the banks HAVE to comply?????? I wasn't sure if this is the same 'scam' as a loan mod......millions apply but only a few get help.

Comment

Any insight???????? I just got off the phone with BankUnited. They are saying that since we did a loan mod previously that we cannot get another loan mod and we would not qualify for Obama's 12 month forebearance program for the unemployed/laid off worker.

HELP!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by HomeNow2 View Post
                Any insight???????? I just got off the phone with BankUnited. They are saying that since we did a loan mod previously that we cannot get another loan mod and we would not qualify for Obama's 12 month forebearance program for the unemployed/laid off worker.

HELP!?!?!
                sorry, no help here, but i didn't want you to feel ignored....i don't know anyone that has taken advantage of the new program. i only saw that clip on tv news about what happened to that one person. i wish you the BEST of luck on getting some of those $!!

Comment

"The Obama administration is trying to make it easier for homeowners who lose their jobs to keep their homes".

I know I am beating a dead horse with this but it's helping no one. If we were in a real recovery where the jobs numbers were +250k a month even I would say this is probably a good idea.

These guys in Washington have to stop with their arrogance and understand they cannot defy the laws of gravity and economics.

The markets want homes to come down in price and Obama and the other clowns must understand this.

Once everyone with a low paying job can afford a home with their $7 and hour paycheck then housing will be in recovery.

Or we can tax imports and create higher paying jobs.

Sooner or later these guys will see this. I have never seen so many people in Washington miss the boat on something so simple.

We need to create more higher earning house holds in order to sell more homes and that's not happening.
                  The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                    "The Obama administration is trying to make it easier for homeowners who lose their jobs to keep their homes".

I know I am beating a dead horse with this but it's helping no one. If we were in a real recovery where the jobs numbers were +250k a month even I would say this is probably a good idea.

These guys in Washington have to stop with their arrogance and understand they cannot defy the laws of gravity and economics.

The markets want homes to come down in price and Obama and the other clowns must understand this.

Once everyone with a low paying job can afford a home with their $7 and hour paycheck then housing will be in recovery.

Or we can tax imports and create higher paying jobs.

Sooner or later these guys will see this. I have never seen so many people in Washington miss the boat on something so simple.

We need to create more higher earning house holds in order to sell more homes and that's not happening.
                    absolutely. and you aren't beating a dead horse, only venting the frustration of the truth!!

this is just another distraction, a band-aid presented to the public, whom, really should be outraged at the state of this county, and what's happening to so many in one one way or another, whether it's job loss, losing one's house, debt, homelessness, being hungry. this is only a temporary fix!

people need to feed and cloth and house their love ones without fear!
                    Last edited by tobee43; 07-09-2011, 07:03 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X