No announcement yet.

Job listings say the unemployed need not apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I don't know what to think of the new job market. The labor movement was a good thing. Some European countries seem to be going through theirs now (such as France). Unions were good and I use the past tense on purpose. Something happened between the U.S. labor movement in the 60's to what we have today. I have been with my current employer for 12 years, the prior 6 years and the prior 5 years. I could probably still be with my first "real" employer but I chose to leave -- due to relocation.

You just don't see these types of numbers anymore. I work with a person who has been with the company 45 years! I work with another that has been with the company for over 35 years. I'm the "new" guy with 12 years!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Very interesting list of 73. I saw Rosebud restaurants in Chicago on it, for "managers." How many restaurant management skills can one lose by being unemployed?! Sad.

I will tell you guys...I started getting interviews when I changed my resume to be 1) more skills-focused, and 2) I left my last date of employment off. As in May 2008 to (big fat blank.) It LOOKED like I was still employed but I got interviews and the opportunity to sell myself, then advise them I was unemployed.
      Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
      New Job 7-2011

Comment

Exactly Annie! The screening software (programs) look at the dates as well. An employer almost ALWAYS wants recent and applicable skills. Your resume should be targeted to the job you want, highlighting the skills that you bring to that specific position.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Germany.. is spending more than the United States and have larger unfunded liabilities than the U.S. However, they have a more robust recovery and, because they have added more jobs, their economy is in better shape than the U.S.'s. One of the main factors pointed to for Germany's robust recovery and job creation is their policy of Co-determination. In Germany, every private and publicly-held company with greater than 500 employees is required by law to provide representatives of their employees seats at the Board of Directors table. Because employees have representation at the table, the company is less likely to ship jobs overseas. In other words, they have responsible capitalism in Germany whereby here in America we have out of control Wall Street capitalism. Austerity and Wall Street are not the solution, they are the problem..

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Personally, I don't know what to think of the new job market. The labor movement was a good thing. Some European countries seem to be going through theirs now (such as France). Unions were good and I use the past tense on purpose. Something happened between the U.S. labor movement in the 60's to what we have today. I have been with my current employer for 12 years, the prior 6 years and the prior 5 years. I could probably still be with my first "real" employer but I chose to leave -- due to relocation.

You just don't see these types of numbers anymore. I work with a person who has been with the company 45 years! I work with another that has been with the company for over 35 years. I'm the "new" guy with 12 years!

Comment

Exactly! Germany calls it the "social market" - or in less polite company, social-democracy. And it works; it works there, in France, Netherlands, etc. etc etc. We need to realize that our system isn't what it once was - and we need to get out of the mindset that if it is "foreign" it must be bad.

And as you said, you cannot cut yourself out of a recession/depression. If you cut spending, you cut demand (which is what drives this economy) and you - we - will be further in the sewer.

Originally posted by jacko View Post
            Germany.. is spending more than the United States and have larger unfunded liabilities than the U.S. However, they have a more robust recovery and, because they have added more jobs, their economy is in better shape than the U.S.'s. One of the main factors pointed to for Germany's robust recovery and job creation is their policy of Co-determination. In Germany, every private and publicly-held company with greater than 500 employees is required by law to provide representatives of their employees seats at the Board of Directors table. Because employees have representation at the table, the company is less likely to ship jobs overseas. In other words, they have responsible capitalism in Germany whereby here in America we have out of control Wall Street capitalism. Austerity and Wall Street are not the solution, they are the problem..

Comment

I am inclined to agree that our system is broken.

It is an issue of labor law, or should be, just as race and sex and age discrimination are.

But instead, you are expected to do your best to just lie and cover up the truth, in the finest American tradition of marketing and advertising.
              filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Our standard of living -- American standard of living -- would drastically change if we went to a European-style democracy. I have lived in London and spent 2 weeks out of every 4 weeks for years in Lyon France. I made more than twice the amount any of my colleagues. Most of my colleagues lived in flats or had multiple roommates.

The only way we can get to driving costs down is to change our standard of living. Trust me when i say this... we live in LUXURY here in the United States.

The reason why social-democracy works in Europe is because they haven't been (too) seduced by money and property. My friend, from France, had to make a downpayment of 40,000 euros on his "flat" to qualify for a loan for it. The flat was 160,000 euros. In the U.S., we typically see only 3% downpayment or about 4,800 euros in this particular case! We want more for nothing.

It has always been my hope that every person should spent 1-2 years overseas and see other cultures and how other people live. We'd all come back to the United States and stop complaining. That's why I have stopped complaining.

We can't cut our way out... because of our lust for money and property. (Simply stated.)

Comment

You are right, but it's a chicken/egg problem. People have been led to believe they are entitled to these things. The generation that lived through the depression had to get old and die before anyone would believe it.
                  I was listening to NPR on the way to the gun range tonight, and the history guy said that unlike past depressions there has been no civil unrest this time around, because of the "safety net". I thought he was exactly right. You have to wonder how long the net will hold.
                  filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X