Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supreme Court Brief Filed On Consumers' FDCPA Rights

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice filed a joint amicus brief in the U.S. Supreme Court supporting consumers' ability to protect their rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) by suing debt collectors.

The amicus brief urges the Supreme Court to overturn a decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. In the case, a consumer, Olivea Marx sued a debt collector, General Revenue Corp., that had contacted her employer to obtain information about her employment status. Marx believed that the collection agency's conduct had violated the FDCPA, but she lost the case. The Tenth Circuit ruled that Marx was responsible for paying more than $4,500 to cover the agency's litigation costs, even though she had brought the case in good faith.

By contrast, the Tenth Circuit’s ruling would create a disincentive to the prosecution of private enforcement actions, the brief states. The FTC vote to join the amicus brief filing was 5-0. The Department of Justice filed the brief on August 3.

By Darren Waggoner

This website is for sale! collectionscreditrisk.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, collectionscreditrisk.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Last edited by frogger; 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

LMAO!!!!!!!! Frogger!!!

Change your location......ROFLROFLROFL!

See what happens when i leave for a few days?!

Comment

I see you peeking inside looking at me.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Keep it up there kermit and I'll eat your little legs LOL

You are too damn funny my little green glob of goo... *shaking my head*

Comment

Need some chocolate to dip those legs in?
          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
            LMAO!!!!!!!! Frogger!!!

Change your location......ROFLROFLROFL!

See what happens when i leave for a few days?!
            that's the FIRST time you have seen that??ROFL!!!!!! i almost died ....LOL!!!! where have you been, the world has seen it now for quite some time....you dirty old cute frog!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tobee

I was "absent from class" for about a week - so YES, that was the first time i saw it LOL - he's incorrigible - but gotta luv the little sucker

Now i've got a keen eye on the little bugger though

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X