Drowning in debt and looking at CH7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drowning in debt and looking at CH7

I am retired living on Social Security and pension. I reside in Florida. I have about $53,000.00 in debt and cannot make the payments and maintain my living expenses. I am looking at Chapter 7.

Whether or not you can file for Chapter 7 could hinge on the amount of the pension income. The SSA income is not counted for purposes of performing the so-called Means Test. That means test also looks at your household size, Florida's median income, and other factors to determine Chapter 7 eligibility.

Generally speaking, unless you're single and have a pension over which excess about $4,296/month, you should be able to qualify for a Chapter 7. Be aware that a Chapter 7 is a liquidation, so if you have expensive property (other than your home), you may not be able to protect it in a Chapter 7. For example, if you're protecting a home it would be 100% protected. But, if you protect that home then you'll only have $1,000 to protect a car, and $1,000 for all your furnishings and clothing.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X